Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score

No

The rifle is fairly new and has only been fired out to 100 yards. I will test it out at 200 and further in the coming weeks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

55 grain zero out of 16" barrel

let me know the results. I am not looking for sniper quality, just center of mass hits

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi everyone,
    I read Molon's posts on the trajectories in this thread. He seems to have lots of good insight on this subject, and since I'm a newbie, I thought Id ask.....

I just bought my first AR..it's a DanielDefense M4 with a 16" barrel. I got a good deal on PMC 5.56 x-tac ammo (62grains), so that's what i've been shooting.

My question to you is: Are these following results ok/normal? (i used iron sights)
    At 50 yards, after 10 shots I was consistently grouped about 3/4" inch low. I left my sights alone and then took 10 shots at 100yds. I was about 3" high at 100yd. I went to 200yds and had a 7" group all around the center. They didnt seem to be too high, nor too low.

If I'm a little low at 50, is it w/in reason to be 3" high at 100yd, then back to zero at 200?
    I keep looking at the charts/graphs and breaking this stuff down. Im guessing my PMC 62 grain ammo preforms closer to the 855, than it does the 193 round.

Thank you very much for any insight anyone could provide,
    ~Billy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

BB,
    Congrats on the fine rifle.

50 yards is an "about" near zero for most guns and most 50g to 62g ammo.

Sounds like you did things correctly, which is shoot at the near zero and then verify at the far zero.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 08-31-11 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    wow......great thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The first time I went thru this thread I couldn't get most of the graphics to display (I use Firefox). Tried and tried with no success. It was still a great thread with more useful info than anything else I have seen.
    I just tried it with IE 8 and the graphics DO show up. Upgrade rating to an amazing thread.
    On a side note; I have ready access to a 100yd range, 200 is much harder to get to. From the trajectory charts, it looks like I will be doing a 50 yard zero and verifying 1.5 to 1.6 inches high at 100 yards. That should put me pretty close at 225yd right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all the help. I bought an Eotech and it and the irons all line up great. 50yd and 200yd is a great way to zero, Thanks again

Feedback Score
    I use RIBZ on a stock, plain Jane CMMG mid-length AR. After a 50 zero, I took the rifle to the 200 yard range and without making any adjustments of any kind and on a 82 degree F day, I shot at my target, results were about .75 MOA group above the X ring.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob19606 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I read Molon's posts on the trajectories in this thread. He seems to have lots of good insight on this subject, and since I'm a newbie, I thought Id ask.....

I just bought my first AR..it's a DanielDefense M4 with a 16" barrel. I got a good deal on PMC 5.56 x-tac ammo (62grains), so that's what i've been shooting.

My question to you is: Are these following results ok/normal? (i used iron sights)
    At 50 yards, after 10 shots I was consistently grouped about 3/4" inch low. I left my sights alone and then took 10 shots at 100yds. I was about 3" high at 100yd. I went to 200yds and had a 7" group all around the center. They didnt seem to be too high, nor too low.

If I'm a little low at 50, is it w/in reason to be 3" high at 100yd, then back to zero at 200?
    I keep looking at the charts/graphs and breaking this stuff down. Im guessing my PMC 62 grain ammo preforms closer to the 855, than it does the 193 round.

Thank you very much for any insight anyone could provide,
    ~Billy
    Different grain bullets and loads will give us slightly different results and trajectories. However we can all agree that zeroing at 50 yards gives us the flattest and most practical trajectory for the 5.56mm/.223 Rem.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BCM 14.5" barrel w/ FSC muzzle-brake

I did the same 50yd zero as I did w/ my 16" DD, and at 100yd it was still grouping about 2" high, but when I went back to 200yd, the group was pretty consistent at about 4" low (where my 16"DD was only about an inch or less low)

Does a 14.5 barrel slow the bullet velocity down, and would a muzzlebrake slow it even more?
    The groups were pretty tight, but just a lil lower @200yd than I had anticipated.

Thanks for any feedback/insight!

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast