Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Carbine - Are they worth $230?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    might as well toss the 230 on the ground, soak it in gas, and light it....

Same results in the end, a complete waste of 230 bucks.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    There will be no Hi Point in my future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll be that guy.

The Hi-Point carbines are worth 230, yes. For a range plinker or fun gun, that's not a bad buy. They don't seem to be plagued with the reliability (safety) issues that the handguns from the same company have, and I know several people who use them as truck guns.

Some caveats -
    First, nothing I said that was positive should be applied to the handguns. Those are some of the worst guns I've ever seen, and aren't even worth the $100 price tag.
    Second, if you're looking at $230 for the Hi-Point, you might consider spending just a little more for the KelTec Sub2000; it takes Glock mags, and is a lighter, more reliable, more compact gun.
    Third, everything you hear on this or any other forum is opinion/conjecture/bias. That doesn't mean it's not true, but you shouldn't take comments from me or anyone else as true without some wider research. It's fashionable to be negative about Hi-Point as a company because of the (many) negatives of their handguns. Find someone with personal experience, who you trust to steer you right.

Edit - I say this as someone who has owned both the Beretta CX4 carbine and the KelTec Sub2000, and who has a few hours of trigger time on a friend's Hi-Point carbine (with ATI stock for the Beretta-clone look).
    Last edited by jsebens; 10-29-10 at 08:08.
    Jake Sebens
    Ares Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'll be that guy.
    So will I. A little bit too much Koolaid sipping in this thread. The HiPoint carbines are actually very good weapons. I've owned one and while it was ugly and fairly crude it NEVER jammed and was very accurate. I'd like to buy another used one as a beater some day. Probably over 90% of the people who talk shit about the HiPoint carbine have never fired one. Nothing wrong with the 995, get one if you want one.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahk View Post
    So will I. A little bit too much Koolaid sipping in this thread. The HiPoint carbines are actually very good weapons. I've owned one and while it was ugly and fairly crude it NEVER jammed and was very accurate. I'd like to buy another used one as a beater some day. Probably over 90% of the people who talk shit about the HiPoint carbine have never fired one. Nothing wrong with the 995, get one if you want one.
    Actually, the kool aid drinking might be on your side.

I too have owned one (shocker I know). It was not accurate, not reliable and over all just a POS.

Is their carbine better than their pistol? I think so. Does that mean it is still worth owning? Don't think so.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I hate Koolaid.

You must've got a bad one because every one I've fired has functioned and every single person I've ever known who had one, other than you, has liked it. HiPoint makes piece of shit pistols and because of this a bunch of people from the internet tend to band together and assume the carbine must suck too (not implying that you resemble that statement), but in my experience it does not.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    If it looks like shi*, and smells like shi*, logic dictates it must be _____.

I hate Koolaid.

You must've got a bad one because every one I've fired has functioned and every single person I've ever known who had one, other than you, has liked it. HiPoint makes piece of shit pistols and because of this a bunch of people from the internet tend to band together and assume the carbine must suck too (not implying that you resemble that statement), but in my experience it does not.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I hate Koolaid.

A lot of people think that McDonald's food is good as well.

Most any gun will shoot in a limited basis. As a gun shop in rural Ohio, I see these guns come in for repair.

If your's runs, then great! As a rule though, they are poorly made with only the cheapest parts. As a beater/throw down gun, I am sure they are just fine, but most folks would be better off taking that money and putting it towards a ammo and or training.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-29-10 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    If it looks like shi*, and smells like shi*, logic dictates it must be _____.
    Since we're on the topic of logic, that doesn't even make sense in this context. If you want to know about the HiPoint carbines go rent one somewhere or find one at a range and ask to put some rounds through it. They work fine but don't take my word or anyone else's for it. You guys can make little hive mind quips about them all day. When I see a grossly inaccurate or unreliable one in person I'll be convinced that it's "shit".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If your's runs, then great! As a rule though, they are poorly made with only the cheapest parts. As a beater/throw down gun, I am sure they are just fine, but most folks would be better off taking that money and putting it towards a ammo and or training.
    I concur fully, but beaters are what we're talking about here. The guy even specified that when he started the thread. No one is going to take a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber into a gunfight when they can choose an AR or AK. For beaters they are fine and, in my experience, work fine.
    Last edited by Mahk; 10-29-10 at 10:27.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast