Thread: New Build Barrel Question

Feedback Score

New Build Barrel Question

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and love it so far, great reading, I have a question, I am planning on Building a CAR-15 type weapon, Would anyone know where I can buy a 11.5 Heavy Barrel with a 5.5" Flash Suppressor, A2 front site, that is already pinned and welded to make it legal ength, the only place I have seen one is at Bushmaster

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My first question would be why would you do that? Unless its a project that you are more intrested in having than shooting (Like my A2 clone) theres not much use of a 5+ inch flash hider. There are many companies that produce a 14.5" barrel that may then have a flash hider/comp pinned on if you are looking to get the shortest package possible. Search throught the specifications forum and you will probably find more answers.
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    permed 11.5s are really, really not desirable. you get all the disadvantages of 11.5s- less reliable function, shorter parts life, poor projectile velocity, without any of the benefit of getting the shorter overall length that 11.5" barrels exist for.

a 14.5", on the other hand, is the exact same length, but you get the benefit of better cycling, better durability, and better velocity. so why would you ever want to sell yourself short?

what state do you live in? if you want an 11.5, you should just register it as a short-barreled rifle, and NOT put a lame ass 5.5" flash hider on it. if you can- this isn't legal in all states.

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for the info, I will look into the 14" Barrel, I was just thinking on building something to Plink with when I am not shooting my Springfield M1A
    Again, thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If your goal is a plinking gun then there are tons of better options out there. What's your problem with a 16 inch gun?
    Police work: If it were easy it would be called your mom.

Feedback Score
    nothing wrong with 16"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I understand the loss in velocity of the 11.5" carbines, they are still one of my favorites.
    I always liked the look of the 11.5" with the 5.5" FH.

As stated, I would go with a 14.5" and perm attached flash hider, like the Phantom II. Looks good and is as short as you can go without a $200 stamp. I like the M4 profile.

Another option, if you just like the look of an shorty but don't want to loose velocity is a slip over flash hider. Bushmaster also carries those.
    It's 5" long and has end threads that thread onto the barrel, but slides down over the barrel. Gives a shorty look, is removable, but does add weight.

As it's your rifle, and you didn't ask advice as to "should I get an 11.5" with 5.5" FH.
    Your other option would be to buy an 11.5" barrel and a 5.5" FH, have it perm attached.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing