Page 23 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Why My DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms, Etc. Is Better Than Anything Else Thread

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fivefivesix View Post
    i just checked and it is that bad. ds arms now is selling them for 50 complete.
    Yeah, and for that same $100 they are selling a complete MOE furniture kit (stock, grip, handguards, RE/buffer/spring/etc, and maybe even the trigger guard as well).

Feedback Score
    The true cost of your rifle must take into account many more factors than the base cost of the rifle on the day you bought it. Add a few thousand rounds of ammunition and then think about how silly it is to be looking to save money on the rifle cost by buying on the low-end. Never could understand that logic... You will spend many times more on ammunition than you will on a rifle... or you ought to... so buy a good one and shoot it a lot.

Feedback Score
    I have a 16" Rock River that I like. Admittedly, I bought it before I knew better. The gas key was not staked properly but that was only 10 minutes with a hammer and punch. The castle nut wasn’t staked at all but that wasn’t a hindrance because I immediately replaced the stock with a VLTOR.
    Is it as good as Colt, BCM, etc? No.
    What I like about it is with the 1:9 barrel it’s very accurate with most 55g FMJ loads, which is what I shoot the most of. Occasionally, it’s gratifying to shoot tiny groups off the bench. It’s been 100% reliable. No malfunctions or issues in slightly over 4,000 rounds.
    I also have a LMT Defender and a BCM upper on a Spikes lower that would be more appropriate for defensive applications.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dogloose View Post
    The true cost of your rifle must take into account many more factors than the base cost of the rifle on the day you bought it. Add a few thousand rounds of ammunition and then think about how silly it is to be looking to save money on the rifle cost by buying on the low-end. Never could understand that logic... You will spend many times more on ammunition than you will on a rifle... or you ought to... so buy a good one and shoot it a lot.
    This is probably the best post of the thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy MSG View Post

Now instead of telling all the Delton, CMMG, DPMS, Bushmaster guys their rifle sucks, we should be helping them to improve the reliability of their rifle. After all, selling a rifle because the bolt carrier or castle nut wasn't staked seems pretty extreme. If the bolt holds up to 500 rounds, chances are it wasn't cracked and magnetic particle inspection wouldn't have found anything anyway. The odds of all the lugs cracking off at one time is incredibly low, almost non-existant, so there is another not so major issue. Is the chamber too tight would be an important one, but again not necessarily cause to sell the rifle.
    I'm with the "Grumpy MSG" on this one. So you don't like the bolt and carrier on a particular AR rifle, just how long does it take to replace a bolt and carrier? This could go on and on. Constructive criticism, not just criticism, is more beneficial...I'm thinking. Just me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanwb View Post
    I'm with the "Grumpy MSG" on this one. So you don't like the bolt and carrier on a particular AR rifle, just how long does it take to replace a bolt and carrier? This could go on and on. Constructive criticism, not just criticism, is more beneficial...I'm thinking. Just me.
    From my experience here, that is what the owners of DPMS,BM,RRA...etc. are getting. When I got my AR, most everyone I talked to said BM was a fine way to go. So I was happy with it, still am.

When I made my first appearance on here, I was directed to the threads that taught me about staking, and many other potential flaws of my new beauty. Now I've learned where problems might show, and I am most definitely more educated about modern AR manufacturers.

Also, the idea of "how long does it take to replace the bolt and carrier?" has little to do with time, it’s mostly about quality, and a little to do with price. Buying a $1000 BM off the shelf, and then throwing a $130 BCG from BCM puts you just a few dollars shy of the whole BCM rifle. Why not get the better gun?

I wish I knew that BCM was a higher quality rifle. When I got my BM I thought BCM was still just making uppers. (I was a teeny bit blind to all the different manufacturers at the time)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a Bushmaster owner I have received no negative comments, insults or anything of the sort. Just suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    Also, the idea of "how long does it take to replace the bolt and carrier?" has little to do with time, it’s mostly about quality, and a little to do with price. Buying a $1000 BM off the shelf, and then throwing a $130 BCG from BCM puts you just a few dollars shy of the whole BCM rifle. Why not get the better gun?
    Think that my point was missed. Let's say that some poor unfortunate and misled shooter purchased one of those horrible RRA rifles. Then, the "misled" shooter came to this site and learned that the major thing, just as an example, that is really wrong with the gun is the bolt and carrier assembly. Now, rather than go and purchase an entirely new rifle for $900, plus or minus, why not replace the offending part(s) and save a few dollars? Like the old saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the wash water."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanwb View Post
    Think that my point was missed. Let's say that some poor unfortunate and misled shooter purchased one of those horrible RRA rifles. Then, the "misled" shooter came to this site and learned that the major thing, just as an example, that is really wrong with the gun is the bolt and carrier assembly. Now, rather than go and purchase an entirely new rifle for $900, plus or minus, why not replace the offending part(s) and save a few dollars? Like the old saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the wash water."
    Alright, I get what your saying.

But I think I could be catagorized as a "misled" shooter, and im not chomping at the bit to sell my gun, but you bet if I get an offer that would put a HUGE dent in a BCM, im going to sell

Feedback Score
    well, shuck's folks...

i threw a 20'' apex m16 pencil barrel on a dsa A3 upper, and a cheap aluminum free floating handguard , single rail gas block' n' an a DD 1.5 buis.

plum crazy lower n' a old A1 stock. super light ! but b4 i knew any better, i bought a BCM bolt carrier group' auto carrier at that !

silly thing shoots like gang busters !!

hasen't failed yet. seems to be pretty reliable. guess i did good with the bcm bcg.

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Neither of the 2 ARs I own are 'upper tier'/left-side-of-the-chart rifles. For what I use them for, they are just fine. I am learning to tinker on them, and as relatively inexpensive rifles, I don't mind if I goof up something....kinda like owning an AMC Gremlin and working on the engine (not saying that I have done this, but, you know, just sayin'....). I will own, or more likely build, a 'better' AR some day, but for now, I really don't need to.

I understand and very much appreciate the reason for The Chart, and look to it often as I tinker and upgrade; really no different than what I do when I read Consumer Reports or go to CNET when I shop for a new widget. I understand that my rifles are not as quality as some others (but are better than some), as I am an informed consumer and made my purchases with knowledge afore.
    Last edited by chuckman; 11-19-10 at 11:59.

Page 23 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast