Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Why My DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms, Etc. Is Better Than Anything Else Thread

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 RING View Post
    Rock River Arms UTE with mid length barrel. I have an Aimpoint ML2 mounted on top and the red dot co-witnesses with my iron sights. I have a Wilderness sling attached.

Over 8,000 rounds without a rifle related failure....
    Midlength guns are always going to be more reliable than a comparable quality carbine gun.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Just a reminder for some folks. Well, this is my interpretation anyways. As far as "the chart" and its intended use, it was not put together in order to sway a buyer from one brand or the other, it was intended as a compilation of facts and specs to be used as a reference source. You as the individual can decide if those features and specs are important for your use or not. You have to decide your needs and wants, and make an appropriate purchase.

Another point to remember is that the brand name does not guarantee anything. Buying a lower tier rifle doesn't mean you will always get a bad product and buying an upper tier doesn't mean you will always get a good one. You just have to realize that some manufacturers get better results than others, and some have better testing, quality control, and customer service.

My two cents: the reality is however, that even if your needs are only a few boxes down range a few times a year, and a cool piece of gear for holiday show-and-tell, the price difference between middle of the road and the top shelf is very small these days, so why not have the best, even if you don't think you need it at this time? A few hundred bucks (if that much) averaged over several years won't impact you at all, but a rifle that fails, even if just plinking, does.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    This is something I forgot to address earlier.

What makes you think a 1/7 or 1/8 will not shoot 55 grain bullets?
    i shoot light stuff in my ar 45gr hp and 40 grainers mainly 55gr cheap stuff unless i'm out critter shooting and i heard that 1 in 9 was better for the light stuff.....

correct me if i'm wrong but i have no problem tearing up 300 400 yard steel with the little 55gr cheap stuff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    i shoot light stuff in my ar 45gr hp and 40 grainers mainly 55gr cheap stuff unless i'm out critter shooting and i heard that 1 in 9 was better for the light stuff.....

correct me if i'm wrong but i have no problem tearing up 300 400 yard steel with the little 55gr cheap stuff
    1/7 will stabilize 55 gr just as well as 1/9. 1/7 is better because it stabilizes the heavier bullets being shot in theater today, where 1/9 will not well enough to ensure hits.

One of the things I am in complete agreement with is in using 1/9 where rifling a barrel to 1/7 just requires the replacement of some of the tooling on the equipment used to make barrels. I shoot mostly light stuff myself so I am not really at a disadvantage, but if a company, like DPMS, can provide more advantage for a slight investment then why not do it?
    Ready Magazine
    Follow Ready Blog on Twitter

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_Knight View Post
    1/7 will stabilize 55 gr just as well as 1/9. 1/7 is better because it stabilizes the heavier bullets being shot in theater today, where 1/9 will not well enough to ensure hits.
    Which theater? The Movie Theater? Kind of wondering where you are qualified to make declarative statements on this particular subject. What are your qualifications? Do you know "why" 1/7 stabilizes heavier bullets better? Or are you just regurgitating what you've read on the internet?

One of the things I am in complete agreement with is in using 1/9 where rifling a barrel to 1/7 just requires the replacement of some of the tooling on the equipment used to make barrels. I shoot mostly light stuff myself so I am not really at a disadvantage, but if a company, like DPMS, can provide more advantage for a slight investment then why not do it?
    I've reread the paragraph several times and still don't understand what you're trying to say.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post

Check out this thread....lots of good info...1x7 will stabilize light rounds...:http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67792

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Which theater? The Movie Theater? Kind of wondering where you are qualified to make declarative statements on this particular subject. What are your qualifications? Do you know "why" 1/7 stabilizes heavier bullets better? Or are you just regurgitating what you've read on the internet?
    Dude, that is some funny chit.

C4

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Yeah 120mm usually cracks me up with his dry sense of humor.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Are you serious? Is your need to argue so strong that a simple answer to an honestly asked question causes you to make a smart ass response in an attempt discredit someone you don't like?

A faster twist stabilizes longer bullets, making them more accurate on target. It is the length that causes a bullet to destabilize and faster twists help to solve this issue. Logically, I can take from this information that if one created lead alloy that was heavier then lead usually used in bullets one could stabilize a 77gr bullet in a 1/9 barrel.

Am I regurgitation information from the internet? You bet, I used the search function on M4 Carbine.net based on a post I saw and read some information in the results. I have slept since then, but I am pretty sure you were involved in that conversation, so I might just have been regurgitation information I got from you. The oft stated purpose of this site is for people to learn, but it is becoming clear that this is false advertising.

When I said grow up I was talking to the second tier owners who were running their mouths without backing evidence, but maybe I was wrong.

Oh, and I apologize for using "professional solider" terminology when you obviously feel I have no right. Sorry to offend, let me try again.

In areas in which our troops are presently engaged in combat operations in support of the war on terror.

Is that better? Thing is, I am pretty sure you knew what I meant.

I've reread the paragraph several times and still don't understand what you're trying to say.
    I call bull shit on this one. I have read your posts and your are not that stupid. Enjoy your laugh at my expense, I am going back to being a grown up now.
    Ready Magazine
    Follow Ready Blog on Twitter

Feedback Score
    Ric
    I had good sucess in shooting Horn 75gr HPBT out of my 16" DPMS 1:9, tried the 75 AMax but they were way less accurate but the HPBT's were good to go. I got 2660 fps avg with 23.5gr BM I'll have to give them a try at 200 yards just to be sure are still stable . My fall back will be the 69 Gr HPBT SEI's . And seeing the Amax are longer then the HPBT's it didn't really surprise me they were less accurate!
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 12-01-10 at 14:05.

Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast