Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Why My DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms, Etc. Is Better Than Anything Else Thread

Feedback Score
    This is my first post along with it being the only forum I am a member of, so if I break protocol, please educate…In looking back at the original intent of the thread it appears as though it has gone down several rabbit holes…I believe what was asked for were examples of <tier 1 AR owners to relay their experiences with their systems…I don’t believe there is the one perfect manufacturer or we would all own one of their systems, as Uncle Paul (Paul Howe) has commented they all have troubles at times…
    I currently own an LWRC, RRA, and a BM SBR. My wife shoots and trains with a BM as well. I have stepped away from the LWRC due to a perceived accuracy issue until I can rule the shooter out; with my RRA being my “go too”…It has approximately 8,000 rounds through it having trained with Uncle Paul, Cooley, Clint Smith, and others and has sometimes not been cleaned between courses ( I should be shot!.). During which I have only experienced 1 FTE with zero other stoppages. In it’s prime is was .5 moa weapon and is creeping to .75moa…I would ask that you take my word for it when I say that the key is indeed properly staked, not merely touching the screw but grabbing into it so to speak…We were cautioned when we purchased my wife’s BM that the keys are often not staked properly and upon inspection found it to be true. The same is true for my BM SBR…I replaced both with RRA components and kept going…I don’t know how many rounds my wife has through her weapon, it is not as many as mine, but since we train together I can only recall her having two stoppages both of which were maintenance related. (She thinks that keeping them wet is bad but has gotten away with it other than those two occasions...)
    During Paul’s last rifle instructor course I ran the SBR suppressed for >1500 rounds over three days with zero stoppages…Maintenance was kept minimal, two applications of carb cleaner and lots of CLP…( It is a new upper, bringing the rounds fired through it to >2000 rounds, with zero stoppages, and I wanted it to start the proving process…It will be the only SBR I’ll own…The coolness wore off...) As Paul stated there were several rifles that experienced some stoppages along with my SA TRP which turned into a single shot pipe wrench…There was an LMT that experienced an issue along with two LWRCs. The Noveske shit the bed BUT if my memory serves me correctly this was the guy that did not tap his carrier after installing the firing pin retaining pin and the pin dropped out during an evolution seizing up the action…The same operator experienced a couple of FTFs with an LWRC SBR…One student's charging handle broke, unknown mfg, so I loaned him mine to keep him going…
    ONE NOTE-for those who have dropped < respectful and intentionally inflammatory comments in regards to Paul, he doesn’t need any defense from me, but in my dealings/conversations with him he has always presented himself in an honest manner with his comments/suggestions eventually ringing true although I didn’t always grasp it at the time... He is very accurate when he says that the instructors from the last class, although asked to document stoppages before we headed to the range, all chose to quietly address and keep “running”…( He has a half a page on the TRP…) Don’t know if this is some of what you were looking for or not…

Stay safe
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    .....this was the guy that did not tap his carrier after installing the firing pin retaining pin and the pin dropped out during an evolution seizing up the action….....
    ======================

Welcome, Slab.

What do the two bold highlighted phrases above mean?

Thanks
    Last edited by ucrt; 12-08-10 at 12:37. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

After inserting his firing pin retaining pin he didn't tap the rear of the carrier, vertically, to ensure the retaining pin was truly retaining the firing pin. During a course of fire the pin dropped out of the carrier and was lodged between the upper/lower receiver...Later on the same guy produced a rather bent firing pin...Not sure, but I think it was from that event...

Stay safe
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Thanks!

After inserting his firing pin retaining pin he didn't tap the rear of the carrier, vertically, to ensure the retaining pin was truly retaining the firing pin. During a course of fire the pin dropped out of the carrier and was lodged between the upper/lower receiver...Later on the same guy produced a rather bent firing pin...Not sure, but I think it was from that event...

Stay safe
    ====================================

Doesn't seem like the firing pin would be able to go forward if the retaining pin was in front of it?? Or I'd think if the FP was back a ways and the hammer hit it mid-section that it could bend the FP.

Man! Some people's kids...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    some of us suffer from the same affliction as this guy.

The "Don"!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Doesn't seem like the firing pin would be able to go forward if the retaining pin was in front of it??
    In my experience it won't. Almost exactly one year ago I was enrolled in a Pat Rogers class, and simply packed up my dirty carbine and traveled to the hotel the night before. Morning of TD1 I started getting worried and thought "at least let me clean all the Wolf gunk off the BCG" so I stripped it down and cleaned it up the best I could in that setting. Imagine my dismay, and embarrassment, when we went to check our zeros and I kept getting a click and not a bang! Sure enough, in my haste to re-assemble the gun that morning and get to the range on time I didn't seat the firing pin correctly and inserted the pin in front of the shoulder.

From the way that some are reporting "failures" in this thread I guess that means my Colt is somehow flawed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In my experience it won't. Almost exactly one year ago I was enrolled in a Pat Rogers class, and simply packed up my dirty carbine and traveled to the hotel the night before. Morning of TD1 I started getting worried and thought "at least let me clean all the Wolf gunk off the BCG" so I stripped it down and cleaned it up the best I could in that setting. Imagine my dismay, and embarrassment, when we went to check our zeros and I kept getting a click and not a bang! Sure enough, in my haste to re-assemble the gun that morning and get to the range on time I didn't seat the firing pin correctly and inserted the pin in front of the shoulder.

From the way that some are reporting "failures" in this thread I guess that means my Colt is somehow flawed.
    ========================================

Rob,
    With the Retaining Pin in front of the Firing Pin, do you think if someone kept cocking the hammer and attempting to fire the gun, that since the hammer would be engaging the FP at an upward angle (instead of the normal forward direct angle) that hammer could bend the FP?

Just wondering if this is how the Noveske's FP might have ended up being bent?

Feedback Score
    ROB S
    From the way that some are reporting "failures" in this thread I guess that means my Colt is somehow flawed. [/QUOTE]

Admitting that you and your Colt have a problem is the first step of recovery my friend...Just go buy a BM, and a Hi Point, and you'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Anyone see the article "Custom Carbine On A Cop Budget" in the Jan/11 SWAT mag page 82-88?

All that money for an optic, light, and laser setup....and they go with a BM piston gun with an izzy brake? lmao....

To top it off that "cop" has his eye about 3" back of the eye relief on that ACOG.

Careful Rob....you might have a seizure if the read the article. I guess a BM piston gun is "mil spec" now..... Oh and 1:7 twist will not stabilize M193 ammo.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 12-12-10 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    i dont think my RRA Tactical is "better" than a colt. i know its not, i know there are better quality brands then mine, but the overall quality of my gun has already amazed me and suits my needs perfectly for what i use my gun for (plinking and killing coyotes ) and i really didnt want to spend 4-500$ more when i didnt need that in a gun. just felt like chucking my opinion in there guys
    Accuracy is not sitting down on a comfy bench, accuracy is how well you shoot on the fly.
    You can't have my gun, but you can have a few bullets...

Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast