Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sneak Preview: Hornady 75 grain 5.56 NATO Superformance

Feedback Score
    Accuracy Snapshots added to first post.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Molon,

Is the chrome lined barrel used in this test since you see that the round will most often be used in that type of rifle? Chrome-lined or SS barrel- it doesn't look like this a super consistent round, as compared to other heavy loadings? Does it have a marked advantage in frag distance compared to .223 75/77 loadings, or even MK262?

Thanks for the work.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Molon,

Is the chrome lined barrel used in this test since you see that the round will most often be used in that type of rifle?
    Yes, but more importantly than that, a NATO chamber, since this is a hot NATO pressure load. You don’t see too many SS barrels with a true NATO chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Molon,

Does it have a marked advantage in frag distance compared to .223 75/77 loadings, or even MK262?

Based on the muzzle velocities given in the first post of this thread from the 20" Colt M16A2 barrel, conservative reliable fragmentation thresholds for the three loads chronographed would be approximately:

190 yards for 223 TAP FPD
    245 yards for 5.56 TAP T2
    270 yards for 5.56 Superformance.

I personally have no use for MK262. It’s terminal ballistic properties are inferior to that of loads that use the Hornady 75 grain BTHP or Nosler 77 grain CC BTHP and if accuracy is the primary concern, there are a variety of .223 loads that are more accurate than MK262.

Last edited by Molon; 10-31-10 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Well glad to see I wasn't the only one with poor accuracy with the 75GR 5.56 SP load....

ETA: Well not glad with the poor accuracy but Id been accused of being a "flincher" per off site comms so in that regard Im glad Im not the only one, and several other people have reported poor accuracy, too.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 11-01-10 at 01:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if this could be a good alternative to the virtually non-existent 5.56 T2 ammo.
    These accuracy results, and the experience of other forum members, would suggest the these SP loadings are a poor substitute for TAP T2. the main reason is the poor accuracy results, but the lack of cannelure and case mouth sealant are other deficiencies. With accuracy being this poor, the extended fragmentation threshold is meaningless.

There is only one 75+ grain, NATO spec, OTM offering that is easily found on the civilian market: SSA 77 grain Sierra OTM. This load was a little less accurate than TAP T2, but only by a slight margin (shoots about 1 MOA in my SPR build). I do not believe that it has a case sealant like the T2, but I've learned to live with this. I heard rumors that SSA had improved on this load in the past few months, and I seem to be getting better accuracy results from my last two orders.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Well glad to see I wasn't the only one with poor accuracy with the 75GR 5.56 SP load....

ETA: Well not glad with the poor accuracy but Id been accused of being a "flincher" per off site comms so in that regard Im glad Im not the only one, and several other people have reported poor accuracy, too.
    "Flincher".... Seriously?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    These accuracy results, and the experience of other forum members, would suggest the these SP loadings are a poor substitute for TAP T2. the main reason is the poor accuracy results, but the lack of cannelure and case mouth sealant are other deficiencies. With accuracy being this poor, the extended fragmentation threshold is meaningless.

There is only one 75+ grain, NATO spec, OTM offering that is easily found on the civilian market: SSA 77 grain Sierra OTM. This load was a little less accurate than TAP T2, but only by a slight margin (shoots about 1 MOA in my SPR build). I do not believe that it has a case sealant like the T2, but I've learned to live with this. I heard rumors that SSA had improved on this load in the past few months, and I seem to be getting better accuracy results from my last two orders.

The T2 is a good round but too hard to get regularly.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Molon:

I started a thread in this section about the PPU 75gr BTHP Match and you responded with some good info. and I appreciate that. I've also read this thread and the one posted by Belmont31R with alot of interest.

In comparing the PPU to the Hornady TAP T2 or SP this is what I'm still left pondering.

The PPU is approx. 250 fps slower than the T2 and 350 fps slower than the SP. Does the PPU have an acceptable frag distance @ 2,550 fps?

The TAP T2 has a cannelured bullet. The PPU and SP does not but has a slight taper crimp. Is there a danger of bullet setback in using the PPU or SP in a semi-auto? What's the risk here? From what I've read on here, there appears to be some differences of opinion on this. I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

It's obvious that the PPU is more accurate than the SP and half the cost of both the SP and the T2.

Should a bullet cannelure and approx. 300 fps dissuade me from considering this PPU for defensive purposes?

Scoby

Feedback Score
    How does the same company that produces great ammo like 8126N T2 75gr 5.56mm TAP also make turds like this 5.56 SP 75gr, critical defense, and XTP?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    Molon:

Does the PPU have an acceptable frag distance @ 2,550 fps?
    The fragmentation threshold of 2250 fps is for the Hornady projectile only. I'm not aware of a reliable figure that has been published for the PPU projectile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast