Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on the need for an ambi-safety

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wilson BP question

Anyone, but Dave B specifically,
    What's the best way to deal with the hammer pin on the Wilson when detail stripping and reassembling? I'm assuming it needs Loctite (red, blue?), so do you just clean it off and reapply each time? Or have I failed to grasp something obvious? Thanks,

Dan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no need to remove the screw once you install it properly. The screw threads into the right side of the hammer pin and the screw head works in a fashion similar to the hammer pin on the Kings or Kimber ambi except that it is adjustable in length by turning it in or out. The only function of the screw is to retain the right half of the safety in the frame. The strength of the safety comes from the method of joining the two halves of the shaft or pin.

The retaining slot on the right side of the Wilson safety is shaped like a keyhole and the circular cut is large enough for the head of the screw to fit into.

To remove the safety from your pistol, you first remove the left half by moving it halfway between up and down position, wiggling and pulling it out of the frame. It takes a little more work than removing a standard (non-ambi) safety because you are also pulling the two halves of the shaft apart. Once the left side is out, rotate the right side upwards until the hammer pin/screw head aligns with that circular cut at the bottom of the keyhole and the right half of the safety can be removed from the frame. The head of the screw is small enough to pass through the frame when you remove the hammer pin.

Personally, I use red loctite. Once I install the screw, I don't want it coming loose for any reason. I can always heat it up if I decide to remove it later or worse case, I can order another screw and pin from Wilson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Duh-o

Thanks very much, Dave.

A little primacy effect going on in my brain there, apparently (or just stupidity). Now that you explained it, it of course makes perfect sense . Again, thanks a bunch for the very clear and thorough answer!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anbody use Caspain New Ambi-Safety?, It looks like Kings Ambi-Safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12