Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 garand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

M1 garand

Hey I have a question about an M1 garand. I want to get one for my father as a token of appreciation for all the help he gave me getting me through academy and onto my feet. I ran across a site that sells them fully restored. Does that take away from the collectors value or increase it or what. I want to get him a nice one. Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A fully restored Garand is not much of a collector in the true sense of the word. It will certainly appreciate in value, but the less it's been messed with the more valuable it will generally be. It's almost certainly got a new barrel and may have some aftermarket internals mixed with vintage. Each rifle will be different as they all wear differently based on how they've been used.

I own two Garands that I purchased from the CMP. I have a Correct Grade and a Service Grade. The Correct Grade is more pleasing to the eye and has matching parts. However, my Service Grade rifle shoots better despite having a mix of Winchester and Springfield parts. Go figure. Both have muzzle wear and throat erosion well within specs. The CMP is a great place to get your rifle and they will take care of you after the sale. If the rifle is not to your liking, they will do their level best to help you. If you want my opinion, give your Dad a Garand with some character. A perfect looking Garand is nice, but a "used" one from the CMP is a piece of democracy.

My Service Grade:

Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    I'll second the CMP rifles. I know several people who have M1's from there and have never heard one bad thing about them. If I ever have the cash for a second Garand, I'll get one from CMP

Feedback Score
    Even though I didnt buy my SA M1 from the CMP, i would third going through them. I have a couple buddies that did and they had no complaints, and both got nice service grade examples. From what ive seen, its worth going through the minor hoops required to buy from them. Its super fun getting three of them going on the line at the range too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here are a couple of my CMP Service Grade rifles. Get a service grade for $620 shipped.

One M1A on the right in that last one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
    Here are a couple of my CMP Service Grade rifles. Get a service grade for $620 shipped.

SNIP

One M1A on the right in that last one.

Sweethearts, all!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    I also advise getting a service grade from CMP. They grade them in favor of the customer and are really nice rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My plan is to get two.

One for using and one for handing off to my boy when it's his turn to run w/ the torch.

Maybe three, if prices stay close to where they are now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know that I would not complain on which one it is.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Every American male with an interest in shooting iron should probably invest in at least one CMP Garand in his life. The price is right, the rifles are a pleasure to shoot, and the history you're protecting in the process is significant, to say the least.

AC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast