Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who want a factory AKS-74's and AK-74M's

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhoohaw View Post
    Templar - realizing that these are SGL series and not SLR series weapons; is it likely that we may see a mass produced 5.45 krink from K-var shortly?

Regardless, I will be buying one of the AK-74M's when available.

Cheers
    What exactly is the difference between the SGL and SLR series? I've thought about getting an Arsenal rifle, but I don't have much experience with AKs.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    What exactly is the difference between the SGL and SLR series? I've thought about getting an Arsenal rifle, but I don't have much experience with AKs.

Basically:

SGL= Russian made receivers
    SLR= Bulgarian made receivers

I am sure Templar or one of the other AK gurus can provide further information.

Well now I know which AK I am getting and what my paycheck on 12/3 is buying!
    Last edited by jsbcody; 11-03-10 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The SLR series (SLR 101, 105, 106, and 107)are Arsenal Bulgaria rifles imported to the US and then unbanned here to use a pistol grip, stock, and standard magazine.

The SLR-105 was the first factory 5.45x39mm AK-74 imported into the US. It had a fixed stock.

The 106 is the 5.56mm version, and the 107 is the 7.62x39mm offering. Both have folding stock assemblies.

The SGL series are built in Russia by Izmash and is the premier offering in their line. Arsenal Inc. imports them, then unbans them here. The SGL-21 is 7.62x39mm and the SGL-31 is 5.45x39mm. These are fixed stock rifles.

Both the SLR and the SGL use cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels.

So, short answer....the SLR series are Bulgarian, the SGL series are Russian.

Feedback Score
    I have the SLR 105R and the SGL-31 and hands down the SLR Bulgarian rifle will outshoot the Russian one. I was so excited to get a "Russian AK74" and then when I shot it the old steady $550 SLR(back in 2005 dollars) outshoots the $700 Russian SGL gun with using 70 grain Wolf, 60 grain Barnaul Brown Bear and Silver Bear and new Hornady V-Max 60 grain. Straight across the board. The trigger is way better in the SLR gun as well. In my opinion you are better hunting down a slightly used SLR105 for a tad less money and you will have a better gun. Fit on the Bulgarian is a tad nicer, finish sucks on all of them and really need to be Duracoated, etc.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BullittBoy View Post
    I have the SLR 105R and the SGL-31 and hands down the SLR Bulgarian rifle will outshoot the Russian one. I was so excited to get a "Russian AK74" and then when I shot it the old steady $550 SLR(back in 2005 dollars) outshoots the $700 Russian SGL gun with using 70 grain Wolf, 60 grain Barnaul Brown Bear and Silver Bear and new Hornady V-Max 60 grain. Straight across the board. The trigger is way better in the SLR gun as well. In my opinion you are better hunting down a slightly used SLR105 for a tad less money and you will have a better gun. Fit on the Bulgarian is a tad nicer, finish sucks on all of them and really need to be Duracoated, etc.
    Interesting......I figured that the Russian made 47s and 74s would be superior.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Interesting......I figured that the Russian made 47s and 74s would be superior.
    Some would argue that Bulgaria has made the finest Kalashnikov varients.

It does my heart good to FINALLY see Arsenal release an AKS-74/AK-74M varient. As an SLR-105 owner I'll have to pass as I just don't want to pony up that kind of money for a folder.

I'm still in the market for an 107CR to SBR so I'll have to sit this one out.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I was already looking at getting a SGL31 anyway so might as well get one of these instead. Glad that these are coming out before I purchased the 31, that would have been upsetting.

As far as SLR vs SGL, I'm pleased with both, have 2 SLR's and 1 SGL, would be nice to have a SGL with folder.

Feedback Score
    Same as already been mentioned , except the SGL's have until now with these 2 new models had non-folding stocks and the SLR have folding stocks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are these available now or did I miss a due date?

Feedback Score
    Damn..those are nice! But $1049 price tag though...
    Last edited by grimm; 11-03-10 at 19:35.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast