Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felon's black-powder gun ownership loop hole??

Feedback Score

Felon's black-powder gun ownership loop hole??

Recently heard the most outlandish claim (on the internet - if you can believe it):

supposedly, convicted felons are still able to possess black powder guns even though they are prohibited from owning modern ammunition or guns.

Just curious if this could possibly be true. I realize bp weapons are not considered the same by BATFE & can be mail ordered, etc. But what about felons?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Black powder guns are not firearms according to federal law.

Many state legislatures closed that loophole.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is this something you're actually worried about, or are you just asking out of curiosity? I don't understand what seems so outlandish about it.

If a felon wants to get a gun to hurt someone, they're just going to acquire one illegally. I seriously doubt if any of them would even know to go seeking a black powder weapon, much less take the initiative to do it.

Since when does gun control stop criminals from getting guns?

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I feel like if someone cannot be trusted to own a firearm, they shouldn't be free from prison at all. There are a million deadly weapons in everyday life. If someone is so dangerous that they cannot be trusted around one of those million items, then keep them locked away. If they aren't dangerous enough to be locked away, then forget about trying to keep dangerous objects out of their hands: it ain't gonna happen and it ain't gonna help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Is this something you're actually worried about, or are you just asking out of curiosity? I don't understand what seems so outlandish about it.
    Not afraid of it, just surprised.

As for the millions (billion?) guns owned in the USA, I think the miracle that the MSM & anti-2nd Amendment people fail to see is: gun crime in the US is rare given the number of guns owned.

I also understand your arguments about how society treats those who were previously imprisoned, and have been released without restoring all the freedoms they previously had. Not saying I necessarily agree - just that I hear & understand you.
    Last edited by TY44934; 11-05-10 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This whole ordeal is stupid. Utterly stupid.

A black powder rifle is NOT a firearm, end of story. Neither does it represent any threat to the community at large in a day of semi-auto (and full auto) weapons. Quit worrying about whether a black powder rifle constitutes a "firearm" and let's focus on the real issues.

I'm not for criminals having guns. However, I'm against blanket statements and judgments, such as anyone who's a felon can't possess a firearm. So if the person dodged taxes and got caught, they can't own a firearm? Yet the NYC gang-banger who's only been convicted of violent misdemeanors can own as many guns as he wants? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

In my opinion, the only people who should be barred from weapons are violent offenders, child molesters, and those that have used firearms in the perpetration of crimes. If your crime wasn't of a violent nature and didn't involve a weapon, then why should you be barred from owning a firearm? That makes about as much sense as banning someone from ever driving again because they got caught littering while walking down the sidewalk.

Just because a felon possesses a black powder rifle, or any other weapon, does not make them a threat. So quit acting like it's an issue. Unless you think Martha Stewart is a deadly threat to society. She's a felon too and can no longer own firearms thanks to the backwards laws on who can't own firearms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it's pretty simple. If you have committed a crime on the level that you were prosecuted for a felony, you have shown that you cannot be trusted by the general public.

Yes it's a very large blanket statement, but there's different levels of crimes for a reason. You've forfeited your rights as an honest citizen by committing the crime, so you do the time.
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I met a fellow who was a felon (not sure for what) and he later got busted for having a Thompson Contender with 10 inch barrel (single shot of course). He did 3 years for that, with no underlying offense. While in prison, he lost all parental rights with regard to his 4 y.o. daughter, because foster care is supposed to last no longer than a year. So the state went to court and terminated his parental rights and adopted her out to some other family. I felt sorry for the guy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I feel like if someone cannot be trusted to own a firearm, they shouldn't be free from prison at all.
    Nope you're not, if you've served out your punishment and the justice system feels you're fit to reenter society, than your rights should be restored.

I recall reading something like 70% are non violent offenses to begin with and don't carry prison time but instead probation.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejh28 View Post
    I think it's pretty simple. If you have committed a crime on the level that you were prosecuted for a felony, you have shown that you cannot be trusted by the general public.
    I'd be willing to bet you've committed a felony or a gross misdemeanor somewhere in your life with out knowing it.

I'm not talking murderers an rapist (they shouldn't ever be allowed back in to society). Heck in New Mexico if you give your 17year old cousin a sip of your bear you've just committed a felony. And there's a push for other states to do the same.

So if you think some one should lose their rights for simply doing what people have done for 100's of years because the morale police say so, well than there's no arguing with you about it because you're morally superior.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty sure I've never committed a felony. But thanks for the character assassination
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast