Thread: Hurricane Katrina part 2??

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Hurricane Katrina part 2??

When people will not lift a single finger to help themselves, it is hard to feel sorry for them. Remember when the public housing folks of New Orleans did not evacuate?

Haitians Ignore Warnings as Hurricane Nears

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11...est=latestnews
    Last edited by 500grains; 11-05-10 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Many camp residents stayed put out of fear they would lose their few possessions and, worse, be denied permission to return when the storm was over.
    Having been to Haiti (pre-earthquake), I can understand the tough position many are in right now... And it is hard to fathom their conditions without seeing it first hand...

For many, the few things they have are LIFE ESSENTIAL and very few are willing to just abandon it to load onto some bus with just the clothes on their backs and what they can carry and go who knows where, not knowing where or when you will ever come back.

When I say LIFE ESSENTIAL, I mean stuff needed to live a life out of a tent for months to years... Very few can even fathom that lifestyle... Things like little stoves, pots, food, livestock, containers for water, etc...

Honestly, I don't blame them too much for wanting to try to ride out the storm so they can hold on to what little they have. So far it looks like it is not shaping up to be a DEADLY Katrina-style hurricane, just a swipe on the side by the powerful storm.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    When people will not lift a single finger to help themselves
    I also think this is not true... Many Haitian people are some of the hardest working people I have ever met, especially the WOMEN. The women do most of the hard work in Haiti and the men do more sitting around... But when the men do work, they work hard. The women, they are strong and tough... and some even beautiful ebony delights... (before the rampant AIDS now days)

When one has lost their home and most of their possessions and now lives in a tent in some kind of tent city, there is not much one can do... Most of us would call that the SHTF! If I was in a SHTF scenario, I don't think I would be too eager to leave it all and hop on a bus either... Maybe death in a storm is better than the life POST STORM with now NOTHING, at complete mercy to aid agencies.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Where are they suppose to evacuate to? The hospital they talk about can only hold a small number of Haitians.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Honestly, I don't blame them too much for wanting to try to ride out the storm so they can hold on to what little they have.
    I don't think there is any single possession that is more important than your life.

I don't know if this is because they don't have a dedicated area to go to that is deemed "safe", or if they're just trying not to lose what they have left. No matter how you cut it, it's a shitty position.
    Last edited by Ejh28; 11-05-10 at 13:12.
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat