Page 16 of 140 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Ok I read the response. They want people to believe that they are going above what the TDP calls for. That maybe true, but it is nearly impossible to tell with out seeing them in quantity over time.
    I agree, but at least it addresses the question of "if they don't follow THE spec, what spec to they follow?"
    Since the chart is specifically dealing with how manufacturers follow the TDP, I wouldn't change anything in Oly's column.
    C4
    I agree completely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    To date, there isn't a single 1/9 twist barrel that I have put my 556 NATO reamer into that hasn't returned material.
    As someone who can look at a reamer and make an educated guess about how much metal is on it, I would ask you this...

Next time you run a reamer into a suspect barrel, PLEASE take a photo and post it here or send it to me.

I want to see just HOW MUCH metal is being removed and more importantly WHERE it shows most on the reamer.

I also find it funny that people make such a big deal about a chrome lined chamber and bore, THEN run a reamer in that's capable of removing the chrome.
    The better strategy is to just buy a barrel that does NOT need to be reamed.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Also, if I break it out into these categories, do I add back in the numbers?
    Numbers are going to be too subjective no matter how well you justify the weighting.
    Keep it simple.
    Just post the facts as you know them.

By trying to quantify the facts, you are also stating that the facts are of equal importance.

If you try to factor things by saying that feature X is worth 1 point and feature Y is worth 1/2 point, then you are getting subjective again.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    I seem to have missed the Crane report that shows Olympic bolts out-performing all others by 10:1.
    Can someone please post a link to this?
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wasn't planning to total them by weight, just total each category.

It really doesn't matter either way though. I have them totaled already and that's good enough for my personal use.

hell, this whole thing started out for my personal use!

FWIW I also added Noveske based on information they gave Grant for their N4. I think that it's "close enough" to an M4 that it's acceptable to include it. If enough people object I guess I could put it off to the side, but the only difference really is the barrel profile and even then the weight is the same.

Feedback Score
    .........."Where does everyone think that the warranty should go? I have it completely separate now, because I don't see it as a deal breaker. If you do all of the critical stuff right it shouldn't be an issue, and if you don't you'll likely know it within the first year"................

Non issue, like you said, any major defect should show up relitively soon, and if not AR parts are fairly easy to replaced.

On the other hand I would say at least a one year warranty is the minimum one would expect from a fairly expensive item.

One gun dealer I buy from for 19 bucks will put a lifetime warranty on any new purchase, includes shipping costs back to manufacturer if required.

Feedback Score
    Why would you put the milspec receiver extension and staked castle nut as important?

Why did you put all of the material testing as "conditional"?
    Its always cheaper to buy the stock only and not have to change everything. Also if they skip a step as simple as stocking the Castle Nut, what else did they skip or miss?

Feedback Score
    I have been in contact with Tom at Olympic Arms regarding the chart. He provided a detailed response to Olympic's status in the chart. I do not believe that his responses indicate that any rows in the chart need to be revised, but it at least provides their point of view as to why they do what they do. Call it an excuse or a reason, I think they deserve credit for at least responding. He said I could post the response with the following caveats.

So, without further ado...
    An aquaintance of mine just bought a brand new Oly. I broke it down and inspected it.

1. BCG Key was not staked.
    2 .Blue insert with no ExRing
    3. 4coil extractor spring
    4. NO M4 feed ramps

After reading the letter from Olympic, I called the factory with the serial number of the weapon to insure it was a complete weapon built by them and it was. They transefered me to the repair/technical dept and when i asked about staking of the BCG they asked does it need it? I responed well yeah it does can you fix it? They put me on hold when they came back the response was "This is something we dont normally do but go ahead and send it in"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It really doesn't matter either way though. I have them totaled already and that's good enough for my personal use. hell, this whole thing started out for my personal use!
    Your work is appreciated.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    As someone who can look at a reamer and make an educated guess about how much metal is on it, I would ask you this...

Next time you run a reamer into a suspect barrel, PLEASE take a photo and post it here or send it to me.

I want to see just HOW MUCH metal is being removed and more importantly WHERE it shows most on the reamer.

I also find it funny that people make such a big deal about a chrome lined chamber and bore, THEN run a reamer in that's capable of removing the chrome.
    The better strategy is to just buy a barrel that does NOT need to be reamed.
    I have a pic of the latest DPMS barrel reaming. Will send it to you.

C4

Page 16 of 140 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast