Page 17 of 140 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    I seem to have missed the Crane report that shows Olympic bolts out-performing all others by 10:1.
    Can someone please post a link to this?

I missed that one as well. Would love to see that report for sure!

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    An aquaintance of mine just bought a brand new Oly. I broke it down and inspected it.

1. BCG Key was not staked.
    2 .Blue insert with no ExRing
    3. 4coil extractor spring
    4. NO M4 feed ramps

After reading the letter from Olympic, I called the factory with the serial number of the weapon to insure it was a complete weapon built by them and it was. They transefered me to the repair/technical dept and when i asked about staking of the BCG they asked does it need it? I responed well yeah it does can you fix it? They put me on hold when they came back the response was "This is something we dont normally do but go ahead and send it in"

Nice. That's the Oly that I know and love.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Longevity and the ability to handle (dissipate) heat better.

For the average plinker, a chrome lined 4140 barrel will most likely serve them well. My issue is that I think 4140 and or 1/9 twist barrels generally equal tight chambers. To date, there isn't a single 1/9 twist barrel that I have put my 556 NATO reamer into that hasn't returned material.

C4
    If you are using Ned's reamer, you realize that his reamer is spec'ed greater than NATO? The freebore is longer and the throat diameter is right at max. Given tolerances, you may have one that cuts a larger diameter neck as well.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    If you are using Ned's reamer, you realize that his reamer is spec'ed greater than NATO? The freebore is longer and the throat diameter is right at max. Given tolerances, you may have one that cuts a larger diameter neck as well.
    Yet it makes guns that have primer popping problems w/5.56mm NATO stop having these problems.........it's made some of my guns that wouldn't run on steel cased ammo suddenly start running.................so a gun that runs is bad how?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Yet it makes guns that have primer popping problems w/5.56mm NATO stop having these problems.........it's made some of my guns that wouldn't run on steel cased ammo suddenly start running.................so a gun that runs is bad how?

It's not bad, never said it was. I'm simply responding to the inference that whenever someone uses this device and removes metal their conclusion is the chamber wasn't originally reamed to NATO specs. I'm saying you can't tell simply from removing metal, since Ned's reamer is ground to specs larger than NATO's. It's conceivable you could run this reamer into a Colt 5.56 chamber and ream away some metal. Would it then be accurate to claim that Colt's chambers aren't 5.56?

To look at it another way, depending upon which freebore length you call spec for NATO (.050, .056), Ned's reamer is nearly as long above this value (.0750)as a .223 SAAMI is below this value (.0250).

Here are the spec's Ned posted at another site:

My reamer dimensions:
    Neck diameter, .255 (Pg 293 of the Black Rifle says .255-.257)
    Freebore diameter, .227 (TBR says .2265/.2285)
    Freebore length, .075. NATO is .050, .223 is .025.
    Leade angle, 1 1/4 degrees (same as Wylde). NATO is 2 1/2, .223 SAAMI is 3 degrees 10 minutes
    Without looking how much metal was ground off, it's not really accurate to assume the presence of metal indicates a .223 SAAMI chamber rather than a labeled NATO chamber.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's not bad, never said it was. I'm simply responding to the inference that whenever someone uses this device and removes metal their conclusin is the chamber wasn't orinally reamed to NATO specs. I'm saying you can't tell simply from removing metal, since Ned's reamer is ground to specs larger than NATO's. It's conceivable you could run this reamer into a Colt 5.56 chamber and ream away some metal. Would it then be accurate to claim that Colt's chambers aren't 5.56?

To look at it another way, depending upon which freebore length you call spec for NATO (.050, .056), Ned's reamer is nearly as long above this value (.0750)as a .223 SAAMI is below this value (.0250).
    Gotcha. I see what you're saying. Ned probably spec'd the reamer that way to ensure that it simply worked. Making it in the middle of the spec would probably not fix some really fubaredwhoknowswhat chambered ARs. I imagine that chambers vary widely from one manufacturer to another and some aren't really .223 or 5.56 and some are somewhere in between.

I wonder when the neck and throat are reamed to the larger end of the 5.56mm NATO spec do they then have a slower rate of throat erosion or a faster rate or if the rate of erosion is even proportional to the tightness of the neck and throat.

Feedback Score
    It looks like it would be a bad idea to use the reamer on a gun that wasn't having any problems as it would remove the chrome lining in some areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have a pic of the latest DPMS barrel reaming. Will send it to you.
    Much Appreciated.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatt View Post
    It looks like it would be a bad idea to use the reamer on a gun that wasn't having any problems as it would remove the chrome lining in some areas.
    Shooting it removes the chrome lining in the throat area too.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Am fully aware of what it does as I read the directions that came with it and then called Ned to double check everything.

C4

Page 17 of 140 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast