Page 18 of 140 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    It's not bad, never said it was. I'm simply responding to the inference that whenever someone uses this device and removes metal their conclusion is the chamber wasn't originally reamed to NATO specs. I'm saying you can't tell simply from removing metal, since Ned's reamer is ground to specs larger than NATO's. It's conceivable you could run this reamer into a Colt 5.56 chamber and ream away some metal. Would it then be accurate to claim that Colt's chambers aren't 5.56?

To look at it another way, depending upon which freebore length you call spec for NATO (.050, .056), Ned's reamer is nearly as long above this value (.0750)as a .223 SAAMI is below this value (.0250).

Here are the spec's Ned posted at another site:

Without looking how much metal was ground off, it's not really accurate to assume the presence of metal indicates a .223 SAAMI chamber rather than a labeled NATO chamber.
    I have put Ned's reamer in LMT's and Colt's. Never have I ever gotten any material back.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatt View Post
    It looks like it would be a bad idea to use the reamer on a gun that wasn't having any problems as it would remove the chrome lining in some areas.

Generally, any AR with a 223 chamber will give you a problem if you ever start using mil-spec ammo. You don't want to be the guy at a carbine class with a new box of M855 and spend the entire time shooting with your pistol.

Also, if the barrel SAYS: 556 NATO, don't you want it to ACTUALLY BE a 556 NATO chamber???????????????????

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Shooting it removes the chrome lining in the throat area too.

Shut your mouth! Where do come up with these things? Armorer's school???

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Shooting it removes the chrome lining in the throat area too.
    Not as quickly as a carbide reamer!
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Not as quickly as a carbide reamer!
    True........me would rather have an unchromed/partially chromed/no chrome in the throat barrel that runs 100% to a fully chromed barrel that doesn't work.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have put Ned's reamer in LMT's and Colt's. Never have I ever gotten any material back.

C4
    Interesting. I wonder what reamer dimension Colt and LMT are using. When you ream out a .224 hole with a .227 reamer for .0250, you ought to get something.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    New version posted

ETA:

The Noveske N4 is now added. From what I understand the black extractor spring may be available as an option and they will be shot-peening their bolts in the near future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Generally, any AR with a 223 chamber will give you a problem if you ever start using mil-spec ammo. You don't want to be the guy at a carbine class with a new box of M855 and spend the entire time shooting with your pistol.

Also, if the barrel SAYS: 556 NATO, don't you want it to ACTUALLY BE a 556 NATO chamber???????????????????

C4
    I'd also like it to be CL

From what I've been reading it sounds like Ned's reamer is built on the large side of the 556 NATO chamber. So if you had a smallish 556 NATO chamber that is still acceptable all you have done is removed your CL. Obviously if you are having issues and suspect it is the chamber then the reamer would be the way to go. But for a gun that is running fine with no signs of problems, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Just some thoughts.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatt View Post
    I'd also like it to be CL

From what I've been reading it sounds like Ned's reamer is built on the large side of the 556 NATO chamber. So if you had a smallish 556 NATO chamber that is still acceptable all you have done is removed your CL. Obviously if you are having issues and suspect it is the chamber then the reamer would be the way to go. But for a gun that is running fine with no signs of problems, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Just some thoughts.
    Sure. Then buy a LMT or a Colt.

Having done many of these, I can feel the difference between the "grab" of 223 chamber and a 556 NATO chamber that is on the small side. Also keep in mind that I only use the reamer on guns that customers has asked me to do.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-10-07 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what reamer dimension Colt and LMT are using. When you ream out a .224 hole with a .227 reamer for .0250, you ought to get something.
    Don't know. If Randall will get off his ass and get molds of chambers, we wouldn't have to guess.

C4

Page 18 of 140 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast