Page 26 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I VERY VERY RARELY work on an AR made prior to 1970. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    It's also reasonable to say that most people are not encountering AR's made prior to 1970 as well.

I'll bet that 99% of the AR's owned by the M4carbine.net populace are less than 15 years old.
    Probably half that, like most are less than 7yrs old.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I had a little bit of sarcasm in my wrtitten voice when writing that.
    Appreciate the clarification........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I would like to see a pattern confirmed by new buyers that a company is doing things the right way.

C4
    I think we're all in agreement about seeing the "pattern". I'm just curious about when you're convivned you've seen the pattern. Consistent mfg across three months, six months, one year? Consistent mfg across a serial number range of "x" number of weapons?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    I think we're all in agreement about seeing the "pattern". I'm just curious about when you're convivned you've seen the pattern. Consistent mfg across three months, six months, one year? Consistent mfg across a serial number range of "x" number of weapons?
    At the VERY least at least one year. This is why S&W rifles shouldn't be discounted just yet about this or that. S&Ws went from being assembled by Stag to now in-house. They're doing much better now. They've also seemed to have about 3 different barrel manufacturers throughout their short time on the market. I've seen two different barrel markings and then some with no barrel markings. Their M&P15-T models should have the gas blocks dimpled to the barrels from the factory, it's not rocket science to do it yourself or have a gunsmith/armorer do it. It's not dimpled or pinned it's not IF IT WILL shoot loose, it's WHEN will it shoot loose? I've seen them shoot loose in as little as 500 rounds.

RRA has been making ARs for a good while now and the only one I've seen that was staked well was a police officers issue RRA.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    hate to see this thread fall off the first page

i have a question for the group: am I missing something or are there only two items (castle nut and h buffer) on the list that are in the lower receiver group?

if it's the case that all the critical items, and most of the minor items relate to the upper, would it be reasonable to suggest saving cost by getting a stripped lower from a 2nd or 3rd tier vendor and putting a factory assembled colt m4 upper on it?

i'm not particularly interested in doing this; i ask because i'm guessing most of you will not think that's a good idea and i'd like to hear more about differentiation in the lowers

Feedback Score
    I'd be a little reluctant to accept just anyone's FCG parts. Having said that, even though BM or RRA may be considered mid-tier in the upper arena, I'd be comfortable with their FCG parts in any lower. That's just my personal opinion. Some of the no-name vendors though, I have no idea what the pedigree of their lower components are, so while I don't have 1st hand personal knoweldge on whether or not their components are sub-standard, I wouldn't have the same level of comfort as I would having some better recognized parts.

Feedback Score

RRA FCG Parts

FWIW . . .

In the 3 day rifle class we just held, one of the shooters had a RRA with the 2 stage NM FCG.

It was not reliable with PMC 55 grn or XM855PD (light hits).

As of today, he is ordering a standard FCG.

Feedback Score
    Not the first I ahve heard about match triggers going TU. With the exception of KAC or Giessele's, match triggers in general are exempted from being considered reliable.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    hate to see this thread fall off the first page

i have a question for the group: am I missing something or are there only two items (castle nut and h buffer) on the list that are in the lower receiver group?

if it's the case that all the critical items, and most of the minor items relate to the upper, would it be reasonable to suggest saving cost by getting a stripped lower from a 2nd or 3rd tier vendor and putting a factory assembled colt m4 upper on it?

i'm not particularly interested in doing this; i ask because i'm guessing most of you will not think that's a good idea and i'd like to hear more about differentiation in the lowers
    Actually, I think that's a fine idea, although I think you'll find that Colt doesn't sell uppers separately (although you might find a used one).

Most lowers, however, you will find are pretty much equal these days. As long as they are forged and not cast you will be fine. With most lowers coming from only a few machine shops, and most being produced on computer-controlled machines, the differences are almost non-existent.

Here's how I'd probably build a stripped lower, but it's mostly personal preference.

$100 stripped lower
    $45 Vltor milspec receiver extension
    $19 H Buffer
    $20 buffer spring
    $95 CTR milspec
    $20 CTR buttpad
    $34 Basic MIAD
    $20 Magpul trigger guard
    $65 Lower parts kit

That takes me to just over $400 total, but it has EXACTLY the parts that I would want without tossing anything other than the A2 grip and trigger guard that comes with the lower parts kit. Figure you might be able to sell that for a couple of bucks and you get a complete lower, with all top-shelf and in-spec parts, for $400. Substitute a Tango Down grip for the MIAD, and it'll cost you only $30 instead of $55 in Magpul parts. A Vltor stock, if that's your preference, will cost you about the same as the CTR, but a SOPMOD will cost you twice as much.

Slap an LMT upper on there for $485, a BCG for $130, a Larue Tactical 7.0 for $250, and find somebody to give you a carryhandle for free (or sell you for cheap) and chop it down for a BUIS, and you have a complete, ready to fire, top-shelf AR for less than a stock Colt, but with the pistol-grip and stock, and rail system of your choosing, and it's completely ready for whatever optic, sling, lights, VFG, etc. that you may want. You should be able to round out the whole package for under $2k.

Every time I post this, it makes me want to build one of these of my own.

Feedback Score
    very interesting, Rob. and thanks for the parts list!

It brings up a few more questions, of course:
    Why the milspec buffer? (assume you mean vs the commercial buffer tube size)
    do any of the M4s on your chart use cast lowers? (if so, might be worth adding)

Page 26 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast