Page 38 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    I don't know if anybody is keeping track or not but I recently changed out the barrel on my RRA factory built 10.5" upper.

When I removed the FSB(straight pins) it IS parkerized under the front sight base. I don't know if this is the case on all their barrels or not, I only have a sample of one. I have one other RRA upper but I have no plans to change anything on it so I don't want to remove the FSB to look.

FYI

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspipes View Post
    I don't know if anybody is keeping track or not but I recently changed out the barrel on my RRA factory built 10.5" upper.

When I removed the FSB(straight pins) it IS parkerized under the front sight base. I don't know if this is the case on all their barrels or not, I only have a sample of one.
    I have had a LOT of RRA barrels apart and never seen one that was parked under the front sight base.

I suspect that your barrel was one that was destined to have a gas block in it and then got pulled aside and had a front sight base pinned into place after the park was already done.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Rob,
    I have a small request...
    How about adding DSA AR rifles to the list.
    I realize that they aren't as popular as many others but I feel that they are a decent product at least worthy of consideration in the AR world.

Thanks,
    TGR
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    I have had a LOT of RRA barrels apart and never seen one that was parked under the front sight base.

I suspect that your barrel was one that was destined to have a gas block in it and then got pulled aside and had a front sight base pinned into place after the park was already done.
    Anything is possible because the barreled upper I have was sent back because the first one was not 10.5 but more like 10.25 or less. I couldn't get a HALO to mount on it because it was to short.

I got the upper back with the new barrel in less than a week so it is entirely possible this barrel was supposed to go on some other configuration and they moved my return to the front of the line to fix it. Who knows......

Feedback Score
    I have only been dealing with CMMG for a couple months now, but of the dozen F1604s I have seen all those twos should be Xs.
    Some of this is purely visible, some based on what they(CMMG) say.
    Also other then taking their word for it I don't know how you are going to verify MPI and HPT.
    CO Springs, CO
    NFA Manufacturer
    FFL-07 & SOT

Feedback Score
    Wasn't Armalite supposed to post some pics and get back with more info?

Between Armalite, S&W and Stag, do any of these stand out as a good first AR?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donr101395 View Post
    We had several talks with Sully during breaks and after class about his rifles.

He has George Wilson build his barrels, 1/9 twist 5.56 chamber M4 cuts, chrome lined from 4140. He has the uppers spec'd with M4 ramps as well. When he gets them in the shop he then opens the M4 cuts a little wider in the barrel and upper receiver then re-andonizes(sp) then polishes the feed ramps.
    Afterthought M4 ramps can't be anodized unless the whole receiver is reanodized.

and uses forgings for his uppers from Colt's supplier.
    Which is meaningless. All forgings come from the same place.

Colt for his LPK's.
    I'd like to see that for myself. Not all LPKs are the same, even ones that people consider "quality."

he tries to minimize this by doing a 100 round test fire and zero on each rifle leaving the shop.
    Do you have any idea how expensive that is?

His reasoning for 4140 is because it is easier to get and he wants to be able to support his customers without having them to wait too long if they do have an issue.
    Or because its cheaper

He stands behind his product and several times throughout the weekend he said that the key to building a rifle was quality parts properly assembled.
    Which is true but properly made components are just as important.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Afterthought M4 ramps can't be anodized unless the whole receiver is reanodized.
    That is what he is currently doing. Superior was making his receivers, but he is about to begin cutting his own receivers.

Which is meaningless. All forgings come from the same place.
    Superior is who was doing his machine work, he said they are going to begin their own machine work after the first of the year.

I'd like to see that for myself. Not all LPKs are the same, even ones that people consider "quality."
    I clarified earlier that it was the same suppler as Colt. I was simply relaying what he said they use.

Do you have any idea how expensive that is?
    Yep, I didn't say he didn't pass the cost off to the customer. Have you seen the price on his rifles? It reflects the additional things he feels are needed.

Or because its cheaper
    Yes it is, no argument there. It's cheaper and easier to get all the time. He doesn't try to hide it.

Which is true but properly made components are just as important.
    IMO, he does a pretty good job with his component selection. There are a few things I would change out of personal preference, but I would feel comfortable with a gun built in his shop. They wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not for any particular reason, they just aren't my cup of tea for what I prefer in a rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donr101395 View Post
    That is what he is currently doing. Superior was making his receivers, but he is about to begin cutting his own receivers.

Superior is who was doing his machine work, he said they are going to begin their own machine work after the first of the year.

I clarified earlier that it was the same suppler as Colt. I was simply relaying what he said they use.

Yep, I didn't say he didn't pass the cost off to the customer. Have you seen the price on his rifles? It reflects the additional things he feels are needed.

Yes it is, no argument there. It's cheaper and easier to get all the time. He doesn't try to hide it.

IMO, he does a pretty good job with his component selection. There are a few things I would change out of personal preference, but I would feel comfortable with a gun built in his shop. They wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not for any particular reason, they just aren't my cup of tea for what I prefer in a rifle.

A reanodized reciever is almost always out of spec in relation to the pin holes.

You cannot reanodize alumium and get back to the original dimensions no matter what anybody says.

It would be cheaper to get uppers with M4 ramps then to cut ones and reanodize.

I'm not going to argue this point. I'm right, anything else is spin or a lie.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    A reanodized reciever is almost always out of spec in relation to the pin holes.

You cannot reanodize alumium and get back to the original dimensions no matter what anybody says.

It would be cheaper to get uppers with M4 ramps then to cut ones and reanodize.

I'm not going to argue this point. I'm right, anything else is spin or a lie.
    He does get them with M4 ramps, he then opens the ramps up wider. As I said, look at the price of his rifles and the costs are passed on to the customer. I agree that reandonizing messes with dimensions, I also don't feel there is a need to open up the feed ramps any wider, but I also don't believe he hurting performance by doing it, so if someone feels it's needed more power to them.

Page 38 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast