Page 39 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donr101395 View Post
    He does get them with M4 ramps, he then opens the ramps up wider. As I said, look at the price of his rifles and the costs are passed on to the customer. I agree that reandonizing messes with dimensions, I also don't feel there is a need to open up the feed ramps any wider, but I also don't believe he hurting performance by doing it, so if someone feels it's needed more power to them.

I just don't believe he is reanodizing the receivers. He is probably touching up the ramps with some other type of finish.

He is not mounting a receiver to a barrel, doing the ramps, unmounting the receiver, and completely redoing the finish. After all this, he would have to remount the receiver to its specific barrel. He would have to keep track of all this.

This can't be done in an economical way no matter how "custom" he thinks he is.

I'm glad you realize the stuff I told you. I thought you were blindly following him.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I'm glad you realize the stuff I told you. I thought you were blindly following him.

No problem, I don't blindly follow anyone. I'm new to the armoring side of the platform, but not the platform and mechanics of it from a user POV.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So 4140 barrels means no chrome lining either? I've never seen anyone produce a 4140 chrome-lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So 4140 barrels means no chrome lining either? I've never seen anyone produce a 4140 chrome-lined barrel.
    S&W M&P15s have 4140 chrome lined barrels.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    S&W M&P15s have 4140 chrome lined barrels.
    Duh [smacks head]! You'd think I'd know this by looking at my own chart.

Are Sully's guns the same?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Duh [smacks head]! You'd think I'd know this by looking at my own chart.

Are Sully's guns the same?
    I don't know about Sullys rifles, and it's not specified on their website. donr101395 said that they were 4140 earlier in this thread.

I'm of the opinion that the difference between 4140 and 4150 barrel steel (for me and likely most people) is like the difference in having a 500hp and 525hp engine in a muscle car. Since I'm not a racer either one will do work just fine for me on the street.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 12-27-07 at 07:07.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the difference between 4140 and 4150 barrel steel (for me and likely most people) is like the difference in having a 500hp and 525hp engine in a muscle car. Since I'm not a racer either one will do work just fine for me on the street.
    Generally speaking, I'm inclined to agree. The problem is, the M&P being the exception, that there aren't too many 4140 barrels that are also chrome-lined. I would guess that if a maker is going to try to save money on the barrel steel, they're also going to want to save money on the chrome-lining.

I'd also put out the caveat that while I may not be opposed to a chrome-lined 4140 barrel, I would be hugely opposed to paying a 4150 price for it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Generally speaking, I'm inclined to agree. The problem is, the M&P being the exception, that there aren't too many 4140 barrels that are also chrome-lined. I would guess that if a maker is going to try to save money on the barrel steel, they're also going to want to save money on the chrome-lining.

I'd also put out the caveat that while I may not be opposed to a chrome-lined 4140 barrel, I would be hugely opposed to paying a 4150 price for it.
    I agree with that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I'd like to see that for myself. Not all LPKs are the same, even ones that people consider "quality."
    Plus Colt semiauto trigger parts are big hole.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    Wasn't Armalite supposed to post some pics and get back with more info?

Between Armalite, S&W and Stag, do any of these stand out as a good first AR?

The S&W 15A would be my first choice because they use LMT BCG's and a Troy rear. After that, I would go with ADS.

C4

Page 39 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast