Page 64 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    O.k., I'm going to try to reply to everyone, here. If I've missed anyone, I apologize. Here goes:

To Ed L., it's way too easy to snipe someone on a public board, particularly when you can hide behind a screen name. It doesn't take any courage or talent. It's much more difficult to write a decent article and/or build a high-traffic/successful online publication.

My freelance writing speaks for itself, it's been published in numerous respected print publications in the firearms/tactical/defense field, and I get paid well for it. And, DefenseReview's (www.defensereview.com) content, readership demographics, site traffic numbers and ranking also all speak for themselves.

The irony is that even though none of this was my fault, it still gives someone like you the opportunity to cheap-shot people.

Well, that's the web for ya'.

Sidewinder6, I, myself, prefer to soar with eagles--or at least falcons--and have had the good fortune to do so on occasion. BTW, it's "plagiarism", not "plagerisim", although I'm sure it was just a typo on your part. I do it myself sometimes when I'm typing quickly. Typos have even been known to make it onto DefRev on occasion. ;-)

Finally, I promise I was telling the truth. No plagiarism here, sir. Scout's honor.

To militarymoron, you got it exactly right (publisher mixup). That's precisely what happened. I hope you're well, by the way. Just so it's on the record, I think you do superlative work, and I've always been a fan of it (your writing, photography, all of it). MilitaryMorons.com is a great site/resource that should be in everyone's "favorites".

To Wayne, I assure you, I wasn't trying to "deflect" anything. I was just responding quickly to Rob, and momentarily confused Intermedia with Harris. To be honest, I was a bit taken aback by his initial email message alerting me to the situation, for what now should be obvious reasons. Just FYI, I still haven't seen the full published article, yet.

Understand that Cameron Hopkins works with both publishers (Harris and Intermedia Outdoors), and I submitted several articles to him for both publishers' publications. I was responding quickly to Rob's message(s) to me, and I made the error.

"Combat Tactics" is indeed a Surefire/Guns & Ammo/Intermedia Outdoors publication.

Speaking of Cameron (Hopkins), he's a great editor, a talented writer in his own right, and a total professional. And, in my opinion, he's handled this situation as well as anyone could have, since Rob initially contacted him. If there's a better way that it could have been done, I don't know what it is. Cameron's a class act, all the way.

To Rob (rob_s), I'm glad everything's been worked out, and I appreciate what you wrote in your last email message to Cameron, which you copied me on. Also, your chart is terrific. Excellent work. You should be proud of it. I can certainly understand how you felt on this thing.

However, the reason I've had to address the Harris/Intermedia mixup is that you published content from two of my email replies to you, right here on a public forum. At the bottom of my email messages to you, you should have noticed the following text:

"PLEASE NOTE: This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto are intended solely for the review of the designated recipient(s) and originate from the office of David Crane/DefenseReview.com. This message and any attachments may not be used, reviewed, copied, published, disseminated, redistributed, or forwarded without the express written permission of David Crane/DefenseReview.com. The information in this electronic mail message and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a designated recipient of this communication or if you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply mail, then destroy any and all copies of this message and attachments and delete them from your system."

I did not grant you permission to publish any of my private communications to you on this forum or any other public forum or site, and I would have preferred that you had asked my permission, and subsequently received it, before doing so. Understand that before I published Cameron Hopkins' message to me on Lightfighter (regarding this issue), I called him and asked his permission, first. He subsequently sent me a new message for that specific purpose. I would have appreciated the same opportunity and courtesy from you. Does that make sense?

Finally, to all, regarding the whole situation in general, it is what it is, and I'm glad it's been resolved. It's important for people to understand that a writer can only control what he/she can control, which is what they submit to their editor. That's it. After it gets to the editor, unless the editor sends it back to the author for review, the author has no additional input/say as to what is finally published.

Also, honest mistakes can be made, and that's what happened, here. Unlike the web, once something goes to print, that's pretty much it, and you have to wait until the next issue to fix a problem.

This situation is a good example of getting all the facts (or as many facts as possible) before making one's mind up and/or taking action. I've learned from it, myself., even though I wasn't the responsible party.

Sincerely,

David Crane
    Writer and Consultant

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by defrev View Post
    O.k., I'm going to try to reply to everyone, here. If I've missed anyone, I apologize. Here goes:

To Ed L., it's way too easy to snipe someone on a public board, particularly when you can hide behind a screen name. It doesn't take any courage or talent. It's much more difficult to write a decent article and/or build a high-traffic/successful online publication.

My freelance writing speaks for itself, it's been published in numerous respected print publications in the firearms/tactical/defense field, and I get paid well for it. And, DefenseReview's (www.defensereview.com) content, readership demographics (including military Special Operations personnel, LE SWAT personnel, PSD operators, engineers, military program managers, industry executives, other journalists, etc.), site traffic numbers and ranking also all speak for themselves.

The irony is that even though none of this was my fault, it still gives someone like you the opportunity to post what you did.

Well, that's the web for ya'.

To Sidewinder6, I, myself, prefer to soar with eagles--or at least falcons--and have had the good fortune to do so on occasion. BTW, it's "plagiarism", not "plagerisim", although I'm sure it was just a typo on your part. I do it myself sometimes when I'm typing quickly. Typos have even been known to make it onto DefRev on occasion. ;-)

Finally, I promise I was telling the truth. No plagiarism here, sir. Scout's honor.

To militarymoron, you got it exactly right (publisher mixup). That's precisely what happened. I hope you're well, by the way. Just so it's on the record, I think you do superlative work, and I've always been a fan of it (your writing, photography, all of it). MilitaryMorons.com is a great site/resource that should be in everyone's "favorites".

To Wayne, I assure you, I wasn't trying to "deflect" anything. I was just responding quickly to Rob, and momentarily confused Intermedia with Harris. To be honest, I was a bit taken aback by his initial email message alerting me to the situation, for what now should be obvious reasons. Just FYI, I still haven't seen the full published article, yet.

Understand that Cameron Hopkins works with both publishers (Harris and Intermedia Outdoors), and I submitted several articles to him for both publishers' publications. I was responding quickly to Rob's message(s) to me, and I made the error.

"Combat Tactics" is indeed a Surefire/Guns & Ammo/Intermedia Outdoors publication.

Speaking of Cameron (Hopkins), he's a great editor, a talented writer in his own right, and a total professional. And, in my opinion, he's handled this situation as well as anyone could have, since Rob initially contacted him. If there's a better way that it could have been done, I don't know what it is. Cameron's a class act, all the way.

To Rob (rob_s), I'm glad everything's been worked out, and I appreciate what you wrote in your last email message to Cameron, which you copied me on. Also, your chart is terrific. Excellent work. You should be proud of it. I can certainly understand how you felt on this thing.

However, the reason I've had to address the Harris/Intermedia mixup is that you published content from two of my email replies to you, right here on a public forum. At the bottom of my email messages to you, you should have noticed the following text:

"PLEASE NOTE: This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto are intended solely for the review of the designated recipient(s) and originate from the office of David Crane/DefenseReview.com. This message and any attachments may not be used, reviewed, copied, published, disseminated, redistributed, or forwarded without the express written permission of David Crane/DefenseReview.com. The information in this electronic mail message and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a designated recipient of this communication or if you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply mail, then destroy any and all copies of this message and attachments and delete them from your system."

I did not grant you permission to publish any of my private communications to you on this forum or any other public forum or site, and I would have preferred that you had asked my permission, and subsequently received it, before doing so. Understand that before I published Cameron Hopkins' message to me on Lightfighter (regarding this issue), I called him and asked his permission, first. He subsequently sent me a new message for that specific purpose. I would have appreciated the same opportunity and courtesy from you. Does that make sense?

Finally, to all, regarding the whole situation in general, it is what it is, and I'm glad it's been resolved. It's important for people to understand that a writer can only control what he/she can control, which is what they submit to their editor. That's it. After it gets to the editor, unless the editor sends it back to the author for review, the author has no additional input/say as to what is finally published.

Also, honest mistakes can be made, and that's what happened, here. Unlike the web, once something goes to print, that's pretty much it, and you have to wait until the next issue to fix a problem.

This situation is a good example of getting all the facts (or as many facts as possible) before making one's mind up and/or taking action. I've learned from it, myself., even though I wasn't the responsible party.

Sincerely,

David Crane
    Writer, Publisher and Consultant
    I heard a quote once. "The longer you stomp in shit, the more it smells."

I think everyone here is satisfied with the eventual outcome. Also, I'm sure you can understand the inherent differences in content value between an email and someone's hard work in the form of a chart. Comparing the two is, in my opinion, infantile.

I don't believe it was necessary for you to come on this board to defend yourself the way you have. Attacks directed at you (if you can call them attacks) pre-explanation, were minor. I have not seen any attacks post explanation. Only praise coincidentally.

It is unfortunate that you were caught up in this. However, your post was also unfortunate.

Feedback Score
    ZDL,

I get your overall point, but I didn't compare an email to a chart. I would never diminish Rob's work, as I think it's truly excellent.

Listen, I'm the first to admit that I don't always handle everything correctly. Perhaps you're right that I shouldn't have posted, but I tried to be fair in it.

Please note that I complimented a number of people in it, including Rob. There are some great people on this board, particularly militarymoron.

Understand that I worked hard on that article, so it's difficult to read some of the things that have been posted (like Ed L's comment) and just stay quiet about it.

I hear you, and I'll work on it.

David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by defrev View Post
    ZDL,

I get your overall point, but I didn't compare an email to a chart. I would never diminish Rob's work, as I think it's truly excellent.

Listen, I'm the first to admit that I don't always handle everything correctly. Perhaps you're right that I shouldn't have posted, but I tried to be fair in it.

Please not that I complimented a number of people in it, including Rob.

I worked hard on that article, so it's difficult read some of the things that have been posted and just stay quiet about it.
    I agree and understand.

Feedback Score
    Mr. Crane, I think you are one of the only ones who has handled themselves with any professionalism in this situation.
    "There are no losers on range #34"
    --Aaron Roberts

Feedback Score
    I can say that, after seeing the responses of the editor, publisher and writer to this unfortunate oversight, I'd have to say that I am impressed. Hmm now I got a couple more sites to add to my Favorites.

Feedback Score
    One more thing: I really wish I had known about Rob's chart when I was writing the piece. I would have sent it to Cameron myself along with my article (and given Rob proper credit for it, of course). :-)

David

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    I heard a quote once. "The longer you stomp in shit, the more it smells."

I think everyone here is satisfied with the eventual outcome. Also, I'm sure you can understand the inherent differences in content value between an email and someone's hard work in the form of a chart. Comparing the two is, in my opinion, infantile.

I don't believe it was necessary for you to come on this board to defend yourself the way you have. Attacks directed at you (if you can call them attacks) pre-explanation, were minor. I have not seen any attacks post explanation. Only praise coincidentally.

It is unfortunate that you were caught up in this. However, your post was also unfortunate.
    I actually disagree. I think that defrev has every right to defend himself in this matter in whatever forum it appears. Given then outcome, I think he is rightfully offended by some of the things that were posted, and has every right to respond.

I hope that this thread does not devolve into discussion, name calling, and argument about this issue. The thread stands right now as an excellent history of the genesis of the chart, and if all goes well and I am able to take Mr. Hopkins up on his offer, it may well soon receive a lot more traffic. We, as a web community, should bear in mind how we may soon be perceived.

David, for the record, the first two emails I received from you had no such signature line regarding the private nature of the emails (perhaps because they were sent from your iphone according to the sigline that was there). I posted them here because I thought that, once they were borne out to be accurate, they would absolve you. If you would now like them removed I will gladly do so.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, gentlemen. I greatly appreciate the kind words. If you ever make it over to DefenseReview, I hope you enjoy the content and the experience. We work hard at it.

Sincerely,

David Crane

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I actually disagree. I think that defrev has every right to defend himself in this matter in whatever forum it appears. Given then outcome, I think he is rightfully offended by some of the things that were posted, and has every right to respond.

I hope that this thread does not devolve into discussion, name calling, and argument about this issue. The thread stands right now as an excellent history of the genesis of the chart, and if all goes well and I am able to take Mr. Hopkins up on his offer, it may well soon receive a lot more traffic. We, as a web community, should bear in mind how we may soon be perceived.

David, for the record, the first two emails I received from you had no such signature line regarding the private nature of the emails (perhaps because they were sent from your iphone according to the sigline that was there). I posted them here because I thought that, once they were borne out to be accurate, they would absolve you. If you would now like them removed I will gladly do so.
    Quite the contrary actually. I would never presume that he didn't have the "right" to defend himself. I stated my opinion about the nature in which he defended himself is all. I also told him I understand why he did it and did not disagree with the act itself. Only the manner.

Rob thank you for you contributions here and I hope this helps explain my previous post.

Page 64 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast