Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
    It sounds like some M&Ps don't come with the feed ramps. It is not necessarily an error. I will check with S&W. New upper or not, I'll sell it. I am looking to get one of the CD A4 builds if they ever come out. Any news on them Grant? Thanks.
    Only a small amount of them did. I would first check the serial number and see if that serial number had them or not.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sff70 View Post
    They are a recent addition to the Smith ARs, new within the past several months.

Grant or someone else can likely provide you an approximate serial number when this started.
    Not that recent. They have been out awhile (at least on the LE side of the house).

The question is when did the Civy M&P AR's start getting the M4 feed ramps.

C4

Feedback Score
    Just checked with S&W - that serial did not and wasn't supposed to come with M4 ramps. Its an addition in the last 3 months on the civy side he said.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
    Just checked with S&W - that serial did not and wasn't supposed to come with M4 ramps. Its an addition in the last 3 months on the civy side he said.

Good to know that your gun was not a mistake then.

I do not do anything with commercial side of S&W so 3 month time frame is most likely right.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-10-08 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    Rob -- are you David Crane?

Just busting your chops!
    Thanks for doing the HARD work!

Feedback Score
    My S&W MP15 has a number 98XXX (manufactured 11/08) and has feed ramps.

To guy who wants to sell his MP15 because there are no feed ramps: umm why? It has not been proven to provide any additional benefits (discussions that I have come across claiming otherwise have been deemed controversial at best) , in fact didn't someone say it may have been an attempt on Colts part to obtain a needless patent?

I have a S&W MP15x. Fit and finish are as good, if not as good as that any other line. I was alarmed initially because PMC rounds left bronze markings on the ramp. Apparently normal. The picture I had posted made it seem that ramps where misaligned - took it to a gunsmith to check out. He asked if it jammed or misfired - I said no- then he said why are you agonizing over something that is not broken- go out and enjoy your purchase.

Important words.

What I have learned going from a total noob to someone working through a novice level is that gun owners are extremely biased.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RE4 View Post
    My S&W MP15 has a number 98XXX (manufactured 11/08) and has feed ramps.

To guy who wants to sell his MP15 because there are no feed ramps: umm why? It has not been proven to provide any additional benefits (discussions that I have come across claiming otherwise have been deemed controversial at best) , in fact didn't someone say it may have been an attempt on Colts part to obtain a needless patent?

I have a S&W MP15x. Fit and finish are as good, if not as good as that any other line. I was alarmed initially because PMC rounds left bronze markings on the ramp. Apparently normal. The picture I had posted made it seem that ramps where misaligned - took it to a gunsmith to check out. He asked if it jammed or misfired - I said no- then he said why are you agonizing over something that is not broken- go out and enjoy your purchase.

Important words.

What I have learned going from a total noob to someone working through a novice level is that gun owners are extremely biased.

The case for feed ramps is there, but most people do not understand why they are needed and with what ammo.

I am planing on doing a large write up them at a later date, but in a nut shell the last 5-10rds in a mag tend to cavitate as they come to the top. The other variable in this is bullet length. The longer bullet the more possibility that there is going to be a feeding problem.

Any way you slice it, M4 feed ramps only help the situation and never hurt it. So I would ALWAYS choose to err on the side of caution and have a gun with the M4 cuts.

C4

Feedback Score
    I look forward to your review. Should be very interesting - considering how many people are coming into this hobby - judging by the number of times the M4 feedramp question comes up.

Feedback Score
    Correction to the chart- my S and W does not have an M16 bolt rather according to the link it has the Ar-15 "enhanced".

Arrr, I hate that chart... Makes me go through my rifle and look for problems. I can post pics if need be; serial number 98xxx
    Last edited by RE4; 12-17-08 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    Quick meta question, but why the hate on ar15.com for the chart? They (the mods) seem to think that it's erroneous and/or misleading somehow, to the point where they will edit out posts containing links to the chart. I read back a bunch of pages of this thread, but couldn't find an answer.

Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast