Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Gasoline

How long will gasoline that has had stabilizer added to it last? Is one stabilizer brand better than another?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    PRI-G has been better for me than STA-BIL.

The longest I've pushed it was about a year and a half, but it still worked in my '03 Kawasaki Ninja.

PRI claims that the gas can be kept for years. I also read somewhere that the best "refresh" or treatment rate is once every 9-12 months.

I think you're on the right track with this. If the Gulf situation isn't rectified soon, there could be some serious issues, IMO.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz0rDY531H1

Feedback Score
    We've left gas 5+ months in cans with not stabilizer always worked fine upon fire up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any gas that I keep in the 5 gallon red jugs gets a little sta-bil added to it, but I try not to keep gas in one longer than 8-10 months, and as for in a car gas tank or any other for that matter, if I am going to put it in storage or not use it for a while I will try to run it to about as empty as I can, add a gallon of fresh gas with stabil and then start the engine every 4 months or so.

As for the better one, my family has always used stabil and have never had any problems with it.

Feedback Score
    If you can find ethanol free gas (if it's even available anymore) that will last longer in storage than the new crap. Its also better for small engines like chainsaws and such. The longest I've let gas sit before use is about 8 or 9 months. This was pre-gasahol and didn't have any stabil in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    PRI-G has been better for me than STA-BIL.

The longest I've pushed it was about a year and a half, but it still worked in my '03 Kawasaki Ninja.

PRI claims that the gas can be kept for years. I also read somewhere that the best "refresh" or treatment rate is once every 9-12 months.
    +1 on Pri products.....better than stabil, I learned about it from guys with boats that only used them seasonally and were in storage 6 months or so. Swore up and down how great Pri-G and Pri-D (for Diesel) was. I haven't cleaned a carb or had a problem with stale or varnished up gas in years since I have been using it.

Link to Priproducts: http://www.priproducts.com/fuel_storage_consumer.cfm

They claim it will even "restore" old gas....I haven't stored any beyond 6 months or so with it myself, but I have had zero problems so far.
    Last edited by 762xIan; 06-20-10 at 16:16.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool

I use CRC and it states it is good for 1 year.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I learned about it from guys with boats...
    Same here. The boat guys know the value of gas. I remember a boat owner joking that he rates in gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Sea Foam

Try the Sea Foam. All the maintenance guys around here use it on everything that runs on gas or diesel. Boats, Cars, ATV, snowblowers. You name it. No problem with gas stored for 8 months or more and cleans injectors and carbs to boot.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    I've used Stabil in my boat that sits idle in FL for six months out of the year and all has been well (Suzy 4-strokes). That said, there might be better products out there as has been mentioned above.

Best to fill any container/s completely full so as to avoid internal condensation when you store fuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast