Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualification for gear queers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Qualification for gear queers

All the talk of "gear queer" makes me wonder what would you all qualify as a gear queer? Just curiosity speaking.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    it's different depending on context. can be positive or negative. i'd apply it in the same manner as the term 'gun queer', 'car queer' etc, or 'enthusiast'. i'd qualify as one, under at least one definition. as one who designs gear, it's in my best interest to be aware of what's on the market, what the users are looking for, which designs work best for particular purposes, and where the current and future trends in gear may lie.

i have a friend who's the resident 'gear queer' on his SWAT team, but he's the one in charge of equipment selection and training. he's as enthusiastic about the latest in gear as i am, except he's coming from the end user point of view.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Depends on how you use it. "Gear Queer" is one of those terms like "that guy" that can be used self-deprecatingly or in good humor, or it can be used more seriously as a derogatory term. For example, Pat Rogers gives out a "That Guy" hat at the end of his classes to the guy that just had the most mental ****ups and it's given in a good-natured way, but there is also always a real "that guy" that nobody wants to talk to at dinner, that holds up the class, that can't get his shit together, and can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Gear Queer works the same way. I call myself one all the time because I like seeing, and trying, new things. It's part of what keeps me motivated. If I have a new mag pouch and I want to test it out, I have to go shoot, so as a side benefit I'm also getting in more practice and building the skills. I think that last bit is what makes all the difference. The guys that are just buying gear (and guns) to buy it, to get into what they perceive as some kind of social circle, to post pictures on the internet, without any analysis or any evaluative process, those are the ones to whom we apply "gear queer" in an entirely derogatory way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Depends on how you use it. "Gear Queer" is one of those terms like "that guy" that can be used self-deprecatingly or in good humor, or it can be used more seriously as a derogatory term. For example, Pat Rogers gives out a "That Guy" hat at the end of his classes to the guy that just had the most mental ****ups and it's given in a good-natured way, but there is also always a real "that guy" that nobody wants to talk to at dinner, that holds up the class, that can't get his shit together, and can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Gear Queer works the same way. I call myself one all the time because I like seeing, and trying, new things. It's part of what keeps me motivated. If I have a new mag pouch and I want to test it out, I have to go shoot, so as a side benefit I'm also getting in more practice and building the skills. I think that last bit is what makes all the difference. The guys that are just buying gear (and guns) to buy it, to get into what they perceive as some kind of social circle, to post pictures on the internet, without any analysis or any evaluative process, those are the ones to whom we apply "gear queer" in an entirely derogatory way.

I would agree, but add some to the bad side, things that are excessive or useless to the buyer. Or people that like to post pictures of themselves in it. tell you the truth I don't like telling people what I have because I find it to be envasive.
    Its funny the the Corps it depends on your mos. I was with tanks they make fun of you if you own your own holster and use it instead of the ones we are issued. But the ground pounders is a different story they have drop pouches, drop leg holsters, lights on their rifles and all kinds of crap. For the grunts though their gear is usually justified.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Brits use the term "kit pest" to describe a gear queer.

It is one thing to be a gear queer with good skills, but if you are a "shit bloke" who happens to be a kit pest, you are not well thought of.

You would not believe the amount of kit that is being destroyed in Iraq right now. How about a connex full of brand new Paraclete vests with plates being torched? Our contract is running out in a few days and everything is being destroyed. Cheaper than sending it back.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Medicine View Post
    I would agree, but add some to the bad side, things that are excessive or useless to the buyer. Or people that like to post pictures of themselves in it. tell you the truth I don't like telling people what I have because I find it to be envasive.
    Its funny the the Corps it depends on your mos. I was with tanks they make fun of you if you own your own holster and use it instead of the ones we are issued. But the ground pounders is a different story they have drop pouches, drop leg holsters, lights on their rifles and all kinds of crap. For the grunts though their gear is usually justified.
    I have a couple former Marines in my unit and they think anything outside of issued equipment is a waste of money and all "Gucci bullshit".

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shemaghs and morale patches. Multicam everything.

Feedback Score
    I'm no expert on gear, but I read a thread on another forum where the person was worried that the shades of OD green between one manufacturer and another were not going to match.

I'm pretty sure that hits the definition right there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm no expert on gear, but I read a thread on another forum where the person was worried that the shades of OD green between one manufacturer and another were not going to match.

I'm pretty sure that hits the definition right there.
    HAHAHA I have heard it all before

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Medicine View Post
    All the talk of "gear queer" makes me wonder what would you all qualify as a gear queer? Just curiosity speaking.
    Got a bunch of gear that you either never use or don't know how to use? This is the negative aspect of the term.

I am a gear dealer so that means that I like gear and have a lot of it. So I am in fact a "gear queer."

C4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast