Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on Soft Body Armor Carriers

Feedback Score

Suggestions on Soft Body Armor Carriers

I am working on a proposal for our PD to start using outer soft body armor carriers to include MOLLE gear to start taking the weight off of our duty belts.

I have been looking around the internet but I havent seen anything that I have been impressed with for the right price. A local agency suggested the link below but I'm not crazy about it.

http://www.michigan.gov/msi/0,1607,7...7486--,00.html

As with any municipality the cost of each vest is a major factor. I am looking for the ability for a police patch on the back and for name tape on the front.

Also, anyone with any first hand LEO expereince with the vests and the difference it made vs. your duty belt would be great!

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    These MOLLE carriers might be an option:
    http://www.pointblanksolutionsinc.co...ement/r20d.php

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Contact Harvey at Vel-Tye, they can make you an outer carrier using youir existing soft panels-even make it capable of carrying hard plates. They can place molle, d rings, hard sewen pouches, name plates, etc.

They did one for me and it turned out great. All they would need is a paper tracing of your panels and what outer spec you desire.

http://www.veltye.com/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Be careful when you choose to go this route. I haven't fully looked into it with the manufacturer, but my local Point Blank rep said that they will not warranty the ballistic panels in any carrier other than the ones they issue, which I can see. In a different carrier, there is no guarantee that the panel will be positioned properly. I don't feel like tempting fate with a duty-related liability issue. In regards to the MOLLE Point Blank carrier, I am very curious to see one in person. I just got my 5 year replacement PB vest and might go that route. The regular R20D vest isn't that useful because from what I've seen, there is no place to reliably hold AR mags, so going the MOLLE route and customizing it with pouches might be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While it's true reference the warranty, the quality of the supplied carriers is rather poor in my opinion.

If the panel is positioned within the carrier without excess movement and adjusted on the body correctly, the ability of the panel is not diminished. If the panel fails, it would have regardless of the carrier type, provided it's fit is correct.

Speaking of armor panels, most will not make adjustments smaller than 1"

I was speaking with Ray Parker of Tidewater Tactical and although the armor he carriers escapes me, he can make adjustments to the half inch.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm in the process of sourcing a LPC and I choose AMI.Give Ryan a call, great guy to deal with.They have a new(er) product coming out BTW.

Last edited by mildot; 06-22-11 at 06:21.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help guys. This helps a ton! As you know in all PD's it's about the all mighty dollar.

Do any of you guys have any numbers on a reduction of workers comp claims due to a outter vest vs. a duty belt?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I do not, however--be mindful of how much molle you put on that carrier because knowing and seeing some, they will double the weight they carry when they can and have a means of doing it.

Sometimes simply changing out a pouch, etc will reduce weight. I went to a clip on my radio verses the leather belt attachment plus the leather/metal holder and saved a pound.

Comfort of this outer carrier. Depending on how you set it up with the duty belt, you may cause other issues. It won't "ride" the same as if under the shirt. It may ride up and rub into your neck and arm pits since it may be pushed up from the belt/pouches. After seeing a lot of mil armor worn, most are always loose and not sized properly. Or you may not be able to access an item on your belt.

Another side issue is care and appearance. However you want to look at it, your appearance is part of your "presentation" Yes you need it to be functional and you need to be trained in various skill sets and know how to utilize your tools. But if the user hasn't cleaned the neck funk and sweat rings from the arm pits, your professional appearance is lacking.

My take is, do you really need it?
    If you are trying to win the support of the decision makers, then your best shot is having data, support and recommendation of the medical staff. Approaching from the standpoint of being tactical, carrying 4 extra handcuffs, mags, water and 6 TASER cartridges,etc. etc. won't work unless your chief reads Gall's daily.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Contact Harvey at Vel-Tye, they can make you an outer carrier using youir existing soft panels-even make it capable of carrying hard plates. They can place molle, d rings, hard sewen pouches, name plates, etc.

They did one for me and it turned out great. All they would need is a paper tracing of your panels and what outer spec you desire.

http://www.veltye.com/
    +1 for Vel-Tye. I've had a carrier for around 3 years in an IBA soft armor cut and it is still going strong.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtn675 View Post
    I am working on a proposal for our PD to start using outer soft body armor carriers to include MOLLE gear to start taking the weight off of our duty belts.

I have been looking around the internet but I havent seen anything that I have been impressed with for the right price. A local agency suggested the link below but I'm not crazy about it.

http://www.michigan.gov/msi/0,1607,7...7486--,00.html

As with any municipality the cost of each vest is a major factor. I am looking for the ability for a police patch on the back and for name tape on the front.

Also, anyone with any first hand LEO expereince with the vests and the difference it made vs. your duty belt would be great!

Thanks for the help.
    I recently went to an outer carrier for the same reasons you suggest. I purchased the overpriced carrier my agency authorized and it was crap. I had to repair and modify it constantly.

Myself and quite a few other agents have started using this carrier. it is well made, economical, and readily available. It is not authorized, for my agency, but is tolerated.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE338-1.html

My only criticism or real substance is that is needs some non-standard adjustment/modification for people with shorter torsos.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast