Thread: Yakima VS Thule cargo box.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Yakima VS Thule cargo box.

Looking at getting a cargo box for doing road trips with the family mostly, mounting on a Jetta Wagon, and possibly for an emergency situation as well. Anybody have any experience with Yakima or Thule cargo boxes? Anybody use both and have an opinion to which is superior in terms of build & quality? Pros, cons, things to be aware of?

This thread could also be of interest in a SHTF situation type of thing where people are interested in expanding their cargo capacity for getting out of Dodge situation. Nothing like doubling your cargo capacity and not reducing your MPG too bad.

Feedback Score
    I would go with Thule. There stuff seems to be better made than Yakima. Plus Thule is the OEM maker of VW's racks so if you managed to pick up as set of carriers second hand the cargo box should just bolt right up. I recommend searching here for OEM carriers. http://forums.vwvortex.com/
    Last edited by ghost762; 11-07-10 at 13:23.

Rock River Arms Tactical CAR A4, S&W Bodyguard .380, S&W Model 410 .40 cal, S&W M&P22
    S&W M&P 40, Custom .22LR AR, Mossberg 500

Feedback Score
    Thule is way better. Better waterproofing and more robust. Unless you're getting the Yakima for a super super deal, I'd go with the Thule.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost762 View Post
    Plus Thule is the OEM maker of VW's racks so if you managed to pick up as set of carriers second hand the cargo box should just bolt right up.
    I didn't know that, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I didn't know that, thanks!
    If you sign up for Vortex or are already a member my user name is the same on there. I also go few friends that work/worked at an independent rack shop in WA so I could direct your questions toward them.
    http://www.racksandbeyond.com/cart/
    Last edited by ghost762; 11-07-10 at 13:51.

Rock River Arms Tactical CAR A4, S&W Bodyguard .380, S&W Model 410 .40 cal, S&W M&P22
    S&W M&P 40, Custom .22LR AR, Mossberg 500

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Being a VW person at heart I want to say Thule.... however, Yakima bars are stronger and rated for a higher weight.

Feedback Score
    I have a Thule rack system that I've had since 1994 and the plastic on the bars are cracked to hell, the steel is rusting, and the endcaps long gone and have since been replaced by many layers of duct tape. I've had kayaks and rolls of carpet on it but the best thing was a sofa driven from Knoxville, TN to Chattanooga, TN on top of a Honda Civic...NRS load straps are a life saver!

Back in 2003 I bought a old school Rocketbox for $75 off a guy I worked with who needed money for climbing gloves. No issues at all with the Rocketbox and it's been waterproof (despite a huge crack patched with duct tape) and dust proof during my crazy ass offroad adventures. Can't comment on Thule boxes but will say my Rocketbox is solid. Gas mileage sucks balls with it on my roof though.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    I've had both. Get whichever one you find a better price on for the size you want.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've got a Yakima Skybox. Used it to drive 12000 miles in a month around the country stuffed full of packs and camping gear. Never had an issue with it.