Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NATO / 5gal Gas Cans - Where is the best place to buy?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

NATO / 5gal Gas Cans - Where is the best place to buy?

Where is the best place to purchase usable (ie in good/decent condition) gas cans for a reasonable price?

For those of you buying surplus cans, what is the average price you are paying?

The surplus cans I have seen had sludge in the bottom of them. What method do you utilize to clean this out? Or is it not even worth the effort?

Thanks!
    Last edited by John W; 11-08-10 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I look for cans on Craiglist. To clean them I put a section of chain in them add some gas, replace the top. The shake them till its broken loose. The chain will loosen any rust also. I use Red Kote to seal the inside of metal cans.

Feedback Score
    Copes Distributing had 5 Gallon GI Plastic (Scepter) fuel cans for a short period of time back in the spring. About the only other place for these is Ebay.

I bought a couple and paid around $45ea. They were used, OD in color, had some spray paint and stickers on them. They cleaned up nice and the gaskets and caps sealed up good.
    They compliment my GI Water (Scepter) 5 Gallon cans.

I have a Super Siphon to in theory transfer the fuel from the cans mounted in a exterior rack to the fuel tank.
    This way the cans will be fueled in place and not need to be lifted for a re-fueling operation.

I still need to design and build the fuel & spare tire carrier for my Jeep.
    Last edited by Tangotag; 11-22-10 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is all great info. To think that I walked away from half a pallet of these things at $15 a pop thinking they were too dirty and sludge filled.

As they say, knowing is half the battle. Thanks for the heads up guys! I'll stay posted on craigslist and the local surplus stores to see what I can dig up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nato / 5 gallon gas cans

Deutsche Optic has them brand new, lots of other interesting items also.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What about these? They store 5 gallons and are made of high density plastic. Seem to be about $20.00 if you can find the right store (half the price of the nato gas cans).

Is there a reason to use the NATO cans instead of the racing cans? Plastic vs metal?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If you have access to a military installation.. Maybe try there DRMO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I tried finding some recently but struck out. The same company that makes them (Scepter) makes a 5 gal commercial can that worked well for me. I found them at West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10444

The spout design works pretty well - much easier to use than the Blitz type - and stores inside the can when not in use. The walls are pretty thick, so they don't flex when pouring fuel.

Feedback Score
    I found some surplus Scepter Military Fuel Cans (MFC) on eBay. They weren't cheap, but they are sturdy and were in practically new condition. I could be wrong, ut I don't think there's a CARB compliant fuel can out there that would tolerate the abuse of a Scepter MFC.
    An AK guy dabbling in an AR world.

Videos:
    Concealed Means Concealed!
    CMC Part II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast