Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my AR from CO to NH?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    No, its actually alot easier than most people realize.

You need:
    A lockable hard case.
    Big, beefy locks (dont get cheesy TSA locks. You want locks that are gonna cost at least $10 each)

Ive flown out of Honolulu and Tampa airports and it varies between the two.

You get to the counter, say you have weapons to declare. They will give you a red tag that you just sign saying you certify the weapons are unloaded. Then you put the red tag INSIDE the case and close it.

From there one of two things will happen.

A.) You will physically take the unlocked case to a TSA rep who will ask you to open it and search for explosives. Once he's done you'll put your locks on it and they'll put it with the other baggage.
    or
    B.) You will physically take the unlocked case to the electronic screening machine, the TSA rep will send it through the machine and give you the thumbs up that its safe. Then you will put your locks on it and the TSA rep will put it with the other baggage.

Remember, they are not allowed to unlock your case nor are they allowed to touch your firearms (except slightly if they physically inspect). Do not give them your keys, do not give them your locks. Don't let them put anything on the outside of the case that says there is a firearm inside. The only exception is after they inspect it, they MAY put a little red dot sticker or something of that sort. THat is only to show its already been inspected not that there is a firearm inside. Any violations of these are not airline violations they are federal law violations and you need to immediately ask for a supervisor.

Remember.
    1. They don't handle the case until it's been screened and you've locked it. Period.
    2. They don't lock the case. Period.
    3. You don't give them the keys.
    4. They aren't allowed to put anything on the outside indentifying it as a firearm.

Hopefully you'll get an experienced airline employee who isn't a moron and your experience will be pretty smooth. If not, just ask for a supervisor.
    The following is based on my experience and my airline.

I have not flown with a rifle, only by car, but I have flown with my HGs. One thing I do when I travel by with my long guns is put them in their cases and then put those cases in a airline golf bag Nothing screams rifle like a small, thin hard case. Putting it in the golf bag makes it so that when you are travelling thru the air port and hotels and cabs you don't attract attention.

The case in bag also allows you to put the signed red tag on the outside of your locked case, but in your bag. I don't let them put the tag in the locked case. What the frick good does it do in there? If they want to see it they have to either get your key, get you or break the locks. I also lock my case back up at the counter. If they scan it and want to look at it, make them bring it to you. I have never been able to touch my case again once it has been scanned, so you might as well keep it locked. Some airports are set up that you really can't get to it again after it has been scanned. I don't know if it is true, but keeping the ammo out of the locked case seems to make it so that they don't want to look in the case- just an observation.

Some really good posts here about traveling with guns if you can find them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm sure if you follow procedure, your bodily person will be more harassed then your firearm. Will you "Opt out" of the x-ray scanner?
    Low Speed, High Drag Phone Operator

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Ive got a question or two. Like the OP, Ive flown with pistols many times, but Ive never flown with my AR.

Can you fly with multiple firearms in the same case?

Do you have to put your pper in a locked case or is it just the lower that must be locked?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
    Ive got a question or two. Like the OP, Ive flown with pistols many times, but Ive never flown with my AR.

Can you fly with multiple firearms in the same case?

Do you have to put your pper in a locked case or is it just the lower that must be locked?
    Yes. I do it all the time. I've had 3 rifles in one case, they treat it just like any other.

I would, for multiple reasons. The average person doesnt know an upper is not the "firearm", and as the upper is usually the most expensive part of an AR thats what I'd want locked in a case...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I've found it helpful to print and carry a copy of the TSA and Airlines rules in case you're dealing with some one who does not know the regulations.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I flew a couple times from FL to IL & back with rifles declared and checked like has been stated above with no problems.

FWIW, is your flight direct or do you switch planes anywhere? I only ask because I would be leery if you had a layover in NYC/Boston/some other anti-2a locale. I'm waiting for someone switching planes in NYC, DC, etc. to get arrested and have their firearm confiscated because their luggage just happened to open by accident and the baggage handlers discovered an AW / unlicensed handgun...
    Last edited by Krusty783; 11-19-10 at 13:13.

Feedback Score

Boston

Interestingly enough I'm flying from Denver into Boston. My family lives on the NH seacoast so flying into Boston is the easiest way home.

It should be interesting... Manchester, NH is close too. I've never had a problem with pistols in Boston but we'll see how they do with an AR.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    All sounds straight. You should have no problems.

I like the "Rock Samples" idea

As a note on locks; A friend follows all of the above advice and adds one thing. He places 2 additional unlocked padlocks inside the case. If the TSA decides at some point that the case needs to be opened and inspected for whatever reason, they will attempt to contact you for the keys. If they cant contact you then they will cut the locks. They may be satisfied by the inspection but the case will now have no locks. No locks and the case will NOT go on the plane...

The friend apparently had it happen once. They tried to page him via the PA system, he didn't hear it. They said they made an announcement at the security checkpoint but it must have missed him. Later as it was near boarding time a gate agent called him up to the counter. She said security needs the keys to your locks. They called them from the gate, locks already cut. Gate agent saying no way will you get to an airport store to buy new locks, get down there and back, and still make this flight. Even if we have you bumped to the front of the security checkpoint line.

He left without his rifles... If there were new unlocked locks in the case he could have just told them to lock it up if they didn't already figure that out.

Funny thing was when he returned from the trip (borrowed a rifle) and aprehensivly claimed his bag... There were 2 TSA locks on it.
    Last edited by Luke_Y; 11-21-10 at 14:40.
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBru View Post
    Interestingly enough I'm flying from Denver into Boston. My family lives on the NH seacoast so flying into Boston is the easiest way home.

It should be interesting... Manchester, NH is close too. I've never had a problem with pistols in Boston but we'll see how they do with an AR.
    Unless the price is so totally better in Boston, I avoid Boston Logan and just use Manchester. The traffic hassles alone are worth it.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Definitely Manchester. Small, easy to navigate, contained within a state with the following motto: Live Free Or Die.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast