Thread: Which Revolver?

Feedback Score

Which Revolver?

First off I want to say I have little experience with single action revolvers and really want one for nostalgia sake.

Planning on purchasing one this summer with the extra funds from job #2

My father has a ruger single six but ruger vaquero is out of reach for me.

I have narrowed it down to the following due to price and caliber (.357):

EAA Bounty Hunter 4 ½ inch

Heritage big bore 5 ½ inch

Uberti 1873 4 ¾ or 5 ½ inch

I am open to other options that are relatively close in price. I want to keep it as close to $400 as possible.

This will be nothing more than a toy / maybe close range hunting.

Thanks for the help.

Justin
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Work a few extra weeks so you can afford $500 and look for a USFA
    Rodeo model.
    TRUE to the Colt SAA design, unlike Ruger and a few others.

If all it will be is a plinker they do a .38 special model for the CAS crowd. VERY cheap to feed.

FN in MT

Feedback Score
    I really liked the USAF but the .357 is a little high. I kinda wanted the .357 to use to hunt pigs up close.

I do wonder about the transfer bar verses original design. From what i understand the transfer bar allows you to carry full load vs. 5 with the hammer on the empty chamber.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You should be able to find a used Ruger 357 for under $400. They're so tough that it takes deliberate, malicious abuse to ruin one.

I don't want to start a caliber war, but for hogs with a handgun, I prefer the 44 Magnum. A 357 certainly work, but I like more margin for error when it comes to the gristle plate. If you insist on using a 357, go with 180-grain (and heavier) bullets and push them as fast as they'll go. Do NOT use lightly built jacketed bullets.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with Okie John. I would look for a used Ruger. I have seen several blackhawks for around $400 at pawn shops.

Feedback Score

Ruger

Hello

I have a new in the box Ruger SBH with 4 5/8" barrel I will let you have for $500. Let me know it has never been shot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Hello

I have a new in the box Ruger SBH with 4 5/8" barrel I will let you have for $500. Let me know it has never been shot.
    Denny, that is a fine looking revolver! I would buy that if I was in the market for one.

Feedback Score
    Disregard...
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 05-22-12 at 00:53.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the offer but i already bought .44 black powder pietta. decided to veer off from what i originally wanted

Thomas Jefferson