Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W's New 351C .22 Magnum Revolver

Feedback Score
    Hornady has a NEW 22 WMR Critical Defense ammo.
    http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-...tical-Defense/

Powder:
    Optimized for short-barreled firearms, the 22 WMR features clean burning propellants with low flash and blast to help protect night vision.
    Just passing this on from the Ruger Forum about the new SP101 .22 mag

So it seems there is new .22wmr ammo out and more on the way.

*No i wouldn't trust my life to only 45 grains BUT for smaller hands scared of recoil, 45grains IS BETTER than a can of mace or XXXgrains left at home*
    Last edited by PdxMotoxer; 09-16-11 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Is .22 Mag generally considered an acceptable defensive round? First I've heard of .22 anything being used against anything bigger'n a squirrel.
    Practice eye socket shooting just in case.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Ordered these at shot as I like the .22 Magnum load (especially for female shooters). Well after 11 months, they showed up!

Got a chance to put some rounds through the gun. Has a pleasant recoil (more muzzle flip than anything). IMHO, these make a much better choice for female shooters (that are recoil sensitive) than any of the pocket auto's or .38 revolvers.

The 351C holds 7rds and weighs in at 11oz.

C4

I have serious reservations about using a 22 mag for defense. Better than a sharp stick but not by much. Someone who is recoil shy would be better served by a similar revolver in 38 special loaded with target waddcutters.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-17-11 at 22:42.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    First off, S&W getting rid of the locks will mean I'll start buying again. I love big bore S&W's, even the current ones but will never purchase one with the lock.

I believe that a .22 for self defense is very marginal.

I also believe the "J"'s are really a firearm for the true shooter, the connoissuer's if you will and the Centennial is even more so. If you give a person a revolver that they can't even manage to properly pull the trigger eyeball shooting is out.

I've carried a Centennial as a back up and primary at times for 20 years +. My department requires the same qual as the duty weapons. With that standard I believe that I am the only person currently qualled with one on the department.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I have serious reservations about using a 22 mag for defense. Better than a sharp stick but not by much. Someone who is recoil shy would be better served by a similar revolver in 38 special loaded with target waddcutters.
    Pat
    I wouldn't. The .22 magnum is a nasty little bullet that I would not want to take a round from. Many people die from .22LR.

This gun fits a good niche with female shooters that won't even touch .38. In fact, it is such a good option, that a very famous instructor bought one of these for his wife.

While it might not be the "best choice" it is better than not carrying anything at all.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMotoxer View Post

*No i wouldn't trust my life to only 45 grains BUT for smaller hands scared of recoil, 45grains IS BETTER than a can of mace or XXXgrains left at home*

This looks pretty good and I would very much consider the .22 Magnum (especially in a Hornady or Gold Dot configuration) over the .380 auto.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMotoxer View Post

The new SP101 is 22LR. Nothing about a 22WMR yet, but it's a logical next step for Ruger. If they could make a swap-cylinder DA, they'd sell like crack.
    Instructor: Sniper, Carbine, Handgun, Shotgun
    Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    My wife has my 642 and is ok with it, but I like this idea a little more than her just carrying my 642 and being "ok".

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    My wife has my 642 and is ok with it, but I like this idea a little more than her just carrying my 642 and being "ok".
    What it comes down to is if they are not "comfortable" shooting the gun, then they won't practice. This makes the gun a liability IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Planning ahead

You won't be high speed, fit, flexible and bulletproof forever, able to handle a full size 9mm or .45. When you get to the point of advanced years, are shot up, handicapped by disease or accident, damaged by harsh duty to the point of being chairbound, in a walker, or moving slowly, dependent on a cane, a light recoiling, multishot 22WMR will allow you (at a minimum) to send the evil SOB who's thinking about attacking you to the hospital with a very bad bellyache. That's where many folks are in their lives (think aging baby boomers).
    I got one for my granddaughter to have right now (with a wonderful Teddy Jacobs trigger job), sighted in and ready to go, and one more put away with a store of GD for that day when it's all I can handle.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 09-19-11 at 17:10.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast