Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W's New 351C .22 Magnum Revolver

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I wouldn't. The .22 magnum is a nasty little bullet that I would not want to take a round from. Many people die from .22LR.

This gun fits a good niche with female shooters that won't even touch .38. In fact, it is such a good option, that a very famous instructor bought one of these for his wife.

While it might not be the "best choice" it is better than not carrying anything at all.

C4
    Grant the 22 mag from a pistol is not nasty its puny. Your better off with solid bullets so you will get sufficient penetration forget about Golddots or any JHP. Many people die from a lot of things including cancer but that does not mean a 22 mag is a fight stopper. Most people killed with .22's were executed and defenseless. As for any shooter female or no if they can't handle a gun in a adiquate caliber they are better off with a taser or pepper spray. The whole concept that women can shoot real guns is false. I have taught female as small as 4 feet 8 and 100 pounds to shoot full size 1911's. The problem is not the gun but rather the training and mindset. If those are not there they are better off unarmed. The reason I say this is it takes a mental toughness to be able to defend yourself from a lethal attack. If someone lacks the will to pick up a .38 they probably don't have what it takes to face down a real threat in a fight. As for the famous instructor who cares it still a bad choice.
    pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-20-11 at 03:43.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    You won't be high speed, fit, flexible and bulletproof forever, able to handle a full size 9mm or .45. When you get to the point of advanced years, are shot up, handicapped by disease or accident, damaged by harsh duty to the point of being chairbound, in a walker, or moving slowly, dependent on a cane, a light recoiling, multishot 22WMR will allow you (at a minimum) to send the evil SOB who's thinking about attacking you to the hospital with a very bad bellyache. That's where many folks are in their lives (think aging baby boomers).
    I got one for my granddaughter to have right now (with a wonderful Teddy Jacobs trigger job), sighted in and ready to go, and one more put away with a store of GD for that day when it's all I can handle.
    A small or mid sized hell even a small 9mm like the Glock 26 is easy to shoot. There are better choices out there than the .22 mag. I would not even trust one of these guns to stop a charging house cat.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A small or mid sized hell even a small 9mm like the Glock 26 is easy to shoot. There are better choices out there than the .22 mag. I would not even trust one of these guns to stop a charging house cat.
    Pat
    A swarm of your Alaska mosquitoes might do it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Grant the 22 mag from a pistol is not nasty its puny. Your better off with solid bullets so you will get sufficient penetration forget about Golddots or any JHP. Many people die from a lot of things including cancer but that does not mean a 22 mag is a fight stopper. Most people killed with .22's were executed and defenseless. As for any shooter female or no if they can't handle a gun in a adiquate caliber they are better off with a taser or pepper spray. The whole concept that women can shoot real guns is false. I have taught female as small as 4 feet 8 and 100 pounds to shoot full size 1911's. The problem is not the gun but rather the training and mindset. If those are not there they are better off unarmed. The reason I say this is it takes a mental toughness to be able to defend yourself from a lethal attack. If someone lacks the will to pick up a .38 they probably don't have what it takes to face down a real threat in a fight. As for the famous instructor who cares it still a bad choice.
    pat
    I have seen .22 Magnums take 45lbs coyotes. Tons of humans are killed with .22LR's.

Did you look at the ballistic gel test that Hornady displayed? Not bad at all.

The point that you are missing is that not everyone is a gun person. This means that they don't want to practice much (or at all), they are gun shy (scared of the sound and recoil) and really don't have a lot of interest. So .22LR's and .22Magnums offer an option that is MUCH better than their other option (sharp stick). Remember that you can ONLY HELP SOMEONE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT HELPED.

So if this gets them owning and carrying a firearm, it is step in the right direction and maybe some day they will upgrade to a better defensive load.

In regards to one of the WORLD'S best instructors buying his spouse one of these, he might know a thing or two about training and getting people into a firearm that they are comfortable with (as it means they will ACTUALLY shoot and carry it). This is the sign of a good instructor (by the way).

C4

Feedback Score
    I spent alot of time with the smaller bore weapons (.17, .22LR, .22mag), and it appears many are assuming that the 22lr and mag are similar just do to bullet size....big mistake. The mag will produce a marked difference in velocity, accuracy, and impact, and if you don't believe it is a worthwhile caliber bullet for someone to carry...please volunteer to take a few rounds. I guarantee 7 well placed rounds from a .22 mag will be a helluva lot more effective than wild 9mm fire, and if it gets my wife to carry a weapon...well enough said on that. I think many of the "gun people" here need to check their knowledge at the door when thinking about this....those that are afraid of guns will a. get over their fear quicker with a firearm they feel they can master easy...this may lead to larger calibers, and b. most people in flight or fight will pull that trigger as fast as they can and with a large caliber they will spray bullets everywhere...at least with a .22mag they have a CHANCE of hitting the target. Personally I would rather go up against TASERS, Mace, and even a baseball bat before stepping in front of a scared person with a loaded .22mag.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    I spent alot of time with the smaller bore weapons (.17, .22LR, .22mag), and it appears many are assuming that the 22lr and mag are similar just do to bullet size....big mistake. The mag will produce a marked difference in velocity, accuracy, and impact, and if you don't believe it is a worthwhile caliber bullet for someone to carry...please volunteer to take a few rounds. I guarantee 7 well placed rounds from a .22 mag will be a helluva lot more effective than wild 9mm fire, and if it gets my wife to carry a weapon...well enough said on that. I think many of the "gun people" here need to check their knowledge at the door when thinking about this....those that are afraid of guns will a. get over their fear quicker with a firearm they feel they can master easy...this may lead to larger calibers, and b. most people in flight or fight will pull that trigger as fast as they can and with a large caliber they will spray bullets everywhere...at least with a .22mag they have a CHANCE of hitting the target. Personally I would rather go up against TASERS, Mace, and even a baseball bat before stepping in front of a scared person with a loaded .22mag.
    Valid points. I think what a lot of men are guilty of is shoe horning a weaker shooter into THEIR preferences. This is an error on their part.

C4

Feedback Score
    This might be of interest -

Bill Jordan via Ayoob on the .22 mag:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...5&postcount=24

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
    This might be of interest -

Bill Jordan via Ayoob on the .22 mag:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...5&postcount=24
    Interesting article. The technology in .22 Magnum then (when the article was written) and what it is now is night and day.

C4

Feedback Score
    I shoot alot of 22WMR out of my bolt action Marlin, Kel-Tec PMR, and NAA 22mag "Earl" revolver so, I can atest to the 22 mag being a powerful lil' round. People who never have shot 'nor owned a 22mag firearm have a tendency to lump it in with the 22lr. which is ignorance on thier part.

Hell, it's probably one of my favorite rounds.

Feedback Score
    The problem is not the gun but rather the training and mindset. If those are not there they are better off unarmed. The reason I say this is it takes a mental toughness to be able to defend yourself from a lethal attack. If someone lacks the will to pick up a .38 they probably don't have what it takes to face down a real threat in a fight. As for the famous instructor who cares it still a bad choice.
    pat
    Going to have to agree with you here.

I have seen very short, slim women put a full mag of .45 in the A zone at 10 yards on the very first time they've shot a gun. I have also seen a quarterbacker MISS the VERY SAME target with every single round out of the same gun.

You have to want to hit the target. Unless you have crippling arthritis or are made of glass, there is no reason you can't at least shoot a 9mm to decent effect at self defense distances. If you can't bring yourself to do that, you probably will crumple under attack no matter the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have seen .22 Magnums take 45lbs coyotes. Tons of humans are killed with .22LR's.

Did you look at the ballistic gel test that Hornady displayed? Not bad at all.

C4
    Can you share the gel pictures, please?

.22 LR has killed people in the past, for sure, but I would still never in a million years recommend that somebody go out and look for a .22 LR revolver specifically for self defense just because they were intimidated by a larger caliber.

I am willing to suspend my disbelief for .22 mag - who knows, maybe it is decent - but .22 LR? Hell no. I'm sorry, but I will not recommend a .22 LR for defense, period. If it happens to be what is in your hand when the balloon goes up, fine, but to actively select a weapon for self defense, in .22 LR? Never.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-22-11 at 20:35.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast