Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caracal F 9mm Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That metal protrusion looks like a finger slicer to me.
    For fast magazine changes... it is. Also precludes use of soft magazine pouches and magazine "pockets" (as on several "tactical" clothing offers).

As to sights. During my shooting we (I tested it together with 2 friends, all of us IPSC/IDPA/3gun shooters, one active mil) found them to "tight" for fast shooting. However, when we mounted stock and foregrip (standard Caracal set for LE sales) then sights become much better, because stock moves eyes closer to rear sight. Our filing was that sights were designed with using stock in mind.

But as I wrote previously, overall impression on pistol was very good. And, no, brass was not hitting me
    Last edited by montrala; 11-12-10 at 15:30. Reason: ETA: 2 more answers, with same conclusion re mag when I was writing this :D
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    The Caracal C and F are now being sold for SteyrClub members for $550.
    “In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.”

- Fran Lebowitz.

Feedback Score
    We just used a Caracal as a prop gun on one of the stages at our Toys for Tots charity match. Over 80 shooters each put 6 rounds through a new straight out of the box Caracal. Absolutely no problems or hiccups. Even relatively novice shooters had no problems such as limp-wristing issues. The funny thing is the grip seemed to fit virtually all shooters. We had some ham-fisted guys and they liked it, my wife has small hands and she likes it over her Sig 225. The gun was given away by random drawing after the match to one happy shooter.

Feedback Score
    Nice review! Thanks for sharing.

XD9's have a 16rd mags not 15rds btw
    Last edited by Alberto; 11-19-10 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    Following up on my initial review, I had a chance to shoot the Caracal some more a few weekends ago and did get to run some more JHP through it. The weird slide lock issue with the Winchester Ranger had me worried, so I picked up some Federal Hi-Shok JHP and Remington Golden Saber +P JHP at a gunshow before heading out to the range.

I also brought along 50 rounds of Silver Bear to function test - I have 950 more rounds of this at home, so I was really betting on this stuff working. I'm happy to report that the gun didn't miss a beat.

Next up, I fired 30 rounds of the 115 gr. Federal Hi-Shok JHP - again, no problems.

Next, I moved on to the box of 124gr. +P Remington Golden Saber JHP. It's been awhile since I've shot this stuff - I forgot how cool and distinct the muzzle flash is (almost a bright silver/white). Again, the Caracal chugged through the box with no issues. One thing I realized after I was done shooting the Remington is that they were +P - I had completely forgotten about the higher pressure rating until well after I was done shooting. Seriously, perceived recoil on this gun is comically soft.

So, back to the "problem" ammo - I loaded up a magazine of Winchester Ranger 147gr. JHP and all was well until about round #10 - the slide locked back even though there were still rounds waiting to feed. I finished up the magazine and decided not to waste any more Winchester Ranger RA9T - the gun just doesn't seem to be able to make it through a magazine of this stuff.

So, Winchester Ranger aside, this gun has been running like a top. We're at a measly 415 rounds total, but we're slowly-but-surely getting more lead down-range through the Emirati shooter. I have no intention of cleaning or lubricating this gun until it starts to choke, or I have 1000 rounds through the pipe (I'm not counting the Winchester Rangers - we know that's a problem load for this gun, so I'll have to adjust-out those 37 rounds for the final tally).

Feedback Score

Blade-Tech Holster Re-Work

One big problem with this weapon system is the absence of holster availability. Caracal USA tells me that Blackhawk makes a Serpa for it, but I haven't been able to turn up a part number (or for that matter, any other evidence that such a rig exists); they also sent Blade-Tech a couple demos to work up holsters. Well, I decided to beat them to it...

I sold a pistol a few months back (actually, my very first pistol) - a SigARMS Mauser M2 .40S&W. I had a Blade-Tech UCH for it, but since I shoot south paw, I didn't think it worth giving up a decent slab of kydex to a buyer that probably would have no use for it. I sold the gun without the holster, and it's been collecting dust ever since.

I remembered that holster last night and decided to use a truly excellent tutorial to modify my existing UCH to work with the Caracal F. I fired up the toaster oven and stripped the hardware from the holster and popped it in. After about 2 minutes @ 350 degrees, the holster was a pretty malleable sheet of burning hot kydex; I wrapped the Caracal between the hot kydex and placed the whole thing between a few pillows with some weight on top. After a few minutes, I had a pretty decent form, but it needed some tweaking.

I used a heat gun today to reshape a few parts of the rig, and after about 5 minutes I had a nearly perfect holster:

Caracal F on top with modified UCH, Steyr M9A1 on bottom with factory UCH:

The jury is still out on this gun, but if it makes it through the 1,000+ round challenge I'm putting together in 2 weeks, I just might retire my Steyr M9A1 from its position as my dedicated CCW. Anyway, here's some more shots:

Feedback Score
    Nice way to take matters into your own hands, Syn! That actually looks a little bit like an AIWB I've been working on (back burner project). Hey, I like your background art, too!
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    Caracal Serpa

Feedback Score
    Is anyone doing torture tests on the Caracal F or C? I really want to get one but I really want to know that this handgun will hold up with my M&Ps. Unfortunately I do not know anyone in my area (Southwest Arizona) that has one so I can handle it and shoot it. The only comprehensive report was Syntax's from the batch that is in the USA and I have not seen a single other worth looking. I don't even know of any dealer carrying them in AZ.

Thank you for your time.
    “In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.”

- Fran Lebowitz.

Feedback Score
    We are trying to get some to that area. Also we are on the cover of Small Arms Review this month with a feature article as well. They got the first Caracal F registered as an SBR. Most of the large bookstore carry it.

Also look for it in Combat Handguns around May. S.W.A.T. magazine should be in the first quarter and Shotgun News is coming up too!!

Thanks for your interest!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast