Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPI Tested

Feedback Score

MPI Tested

Did a search and couldn't find any info on MPI tested bolts and barrels, sooooo...

What is it?

What does it do??

Do I want it???

Thanks!
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All I know: its good and LMT does it, yes you want it. Probably someone here may ilustrate the tech details about MPI.

Feedback Score
    MPI stands for Magnetic Particle Inspection. It is a type of NDT process (Non-Destructive Testing) to check for flaws, cracks, etc in metal/conductive parts.

Basically, the part to be inspected is magnetized, and exposed to magnetic particles (either suspended in air or liquid), which are attracted to any cracks or fishures in the part. Any "reading" (high concentration of particle attraction) beyond nominal or acceptable limits and the part is usually disposed of. This may sound sort of vague, due to the fact that different parts have different acceptable standards, and different companies have different criteria for acceptance.

For example, there are small cracks that form at the base of the lugs on an M16 bolt after it is proof fired. The degree and location of these cracks is compared to the government inspection standard / quality assurance provision, which in turn determines whether the part is acceptable. Assuming the part is correctly proofed and then final-finished (phosphate), it is marked "MPI" to signify acceptance.

Hope this helps,
    Clint

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    It is something you want in both your barrel and your bolts. To my knowledge, LMT, Colt and special ordered CMT (Stag Arms) are MPI tested.

For barrels, LMT, Colt and BCM are HPT and MPI tested. There maybe others, but I can't think of any.

The thing to be careful of is that some companies MPI a couple barrels out of a batch, but go ahead and mark every barrel as being MPI tested (bad juju in my book).

The other big burning question is what are these companies exit criteria for a flawed barrel or bolt? I think some companies allow minor flaws in their products.

The only company I can say for sure that has a zero flaw acceptance policy is BCM.

C4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clynch View Post
    MPI stands for Magnetic Particle Inspection. It is a type of NDT process (Non-Destructive Testing) to check for flaws, cracks, etc in metal/conductive parts.

Basically, the part to be inspected is magnetized, and exposed to magnetic particles (either suspended in air or liquid), which are attracted to any cracks or fishures in the part. Any "reading" (high concentration of particle attraction) beyond nominal or acceptable limits and the part is usually disposed of. This may sound sort of vague, due to the fact that different parts have different acceptable standards, and different companies have different criteria for acceptance.

For example, there are small cracks that form at the base of the lugs on an M16 bolt after it is proof fired. The degree and location of these cracks is compared to the government inspection standard / quality assurance provision, which in turn determines whether the part is acceptable. Assuming the part is correctly proofed and then final-finished (phosphate), it is marked "MPI" to signify acceptance.

Hope this helps,
    Clint
    Interesting.

I win by the way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I win by the way.
    For the necropost of the century?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I agree but if he didn't do it IG would have canned the thread!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Pretty much. Or at a minimum the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I can't keep up with who does what, we need a chart!
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    You can MPI any ferritic metal anytime you want. I've been MPI certified since 1998. I should start an MPI service for M4C.

I would even do a liquid penetrant for no extra charge!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast