Thread: Grip Safety Questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Grip Safety Questions

Once again we come back to my dad's Defender. In a recent class where he shot ~600rds through it, he got to the point where his hands were pretty well tore up from a couple sharp points on the gun (which he has since removed) and just from the recoil of the little gun in general. By the end he was having trouble fully activating the grip safety.

While he may not really see this as a big issue, I do. So, what I am looking for is either a different grip safety all together that can be put in his gun to make it easier to activate with a poor grip or some other modification to accomplish this same result.

Any ideas on what would be the best way to go about it?
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    If the dehorning remedied the situation, then don't worry about it. If not, you can do one of the following.

1. Deactivate the GS (pin, strap, chop, etc.)
    2. Use a Wilson drop-in beavertail (they actually look/fit pretty darn clean on a Colt).
    3. Fit/have fitted an aftermarket beavertail of your choosing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried to get him to deactivate the safety but he wasn't hearing any of that. I'll take a look at the Wilson.

Thanks.
    Tu ne cede malis

-Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On the Wilsons, does the commander size fit in a 3 in gun? That is the smallest they offer.
    Tu ne cede malis

-Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another option that can be considered is to have the grip safety tuned/adjusted to where it does not need a perfect grip to disengage it. From my best guess, it entails SLOWLY removing material from the leg that blocks rearward movement of the trigger so that the safety is more sensitized to grip pressure. It's free advice so take itfor what it's worth.
    "...but on the surface it looks like a Satan sandwich." Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen that while looking around and am going to try it. I still think a new beavertail/safety is needed to replace the really flat one that comes on the Defender so I need to find out if a commander size will work, then I can get to tuning it.
    Tu ne cede malis

-Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It should. Before looking at the beavertail on Wilson's website I've never heard of government and commander sized grip safeties.
    "...but on the surface it looks like a Satan sandwich." Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    "Tune-up" is the only one readily available options. I have a Wilson drop-in beavertail on my Colt, and I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but that may change from person to person.

In custom arena, I've seen a host of modifications, but those are available in context of full builds, and most top 1911 smiths don't even take work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    On the Wilsons, does the commander size fit in a 3 in gun? That is the smallest they offer.

I believe the frame tangs on the Commander and Defender are the same, but I would call Wilson to be sure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Caspian offers a grip safety that has a "speed bump" running vertically up the safety. I call it a "dorsal fin" speed bump. Here's a link;

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=R3

Unlike the typical "speed bumps", at the bottom of the grip safety, this "dorsal fin" unit will deactivate the grip safety with just about any reasonable grip.

If one has trouble with 1911 grip safeties and is unwilling to pin it down, this is the answer.

Colt used these on the "XS" pistols, before they went back to the abortion of a beavertail that they use on the "XSE" guns.

Rosco