Thread: Remington 870 opinions and upgrade help...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Remington 870 opinions and upgrade help...

I picked up my first Remington 870 yesterday and am very excited to get out to a range and begin breaking it in. In the meantime, I'm considering some upgrades/swap outs and need some expert opinions.

I'll be using the SG for 3gun's and HD. Which choke tube should I use and what's a good stock replacement? Thanks
    Last edited by amac; 12-23-10 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Which choke tube should I use and what's a good stock replacement? Thanks
    Did you get an 870 Express or 870P (Police Magnum)?

Either way my suggestion for a stock would be either the Speed Feed or Hogue 12" LOP youth model.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    My opinion is always the same on this kind of question. Put some time on it and see what it does not do that you want it to, and/or see what it does that you don't want it to. That will tell you pretty much what upgrades, if any, that you need to do. The things you can do with an 870 are limitless.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For HD get a Surefire weapon light, I forget the name of the model, side saddle, or one from Mesa. I don't use barrels long enough for choke tube so I can't help you there, but you might want to get a 18" for HD. I also use the ghost ring sights from Scatter Gun/ Wilson combat and mag extension. I use Knoxx and Hogue stock, they both work great. Another option is upgrading your spring and follower to a Wilson setup. Check them out they have everything you'll need.
    Last edited by reccerecon; 12-23-10 at 22:39.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Did you get an 870 Express or 870P (Police Magnum)?

Either way my suggestion for a stock would be either the Speed Feed or Hogue 12" LOP youth model.
    I have the Express. It comes with an extended choke, designed for breach. And its "cylinder". I'm thinking modified or improved modified.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I have the Express. It comes with an extended choke, designed for breach. And its "cylinder". I'm thinking modified or improved modified.
    The range master where I go left the gates open 15 xtra min. so I could do some prints at 15yds with Rem. Express 00 buck. It was for another thread here, but I can't figure out the picture pasting thing, yet. 26" barrel with cylinder choke and modified. Both chokes printed 8" spreads, on average. The modified choke did manage a 7" spread, only once out of five shots. None of the shots produced a 9" spread. I had not done this with buckshot in a long time, so I was curious as to how it would go, and was a little surprized. I'm sure that with steel, or a round designed to group tightly, it may be a little different.
    Last edited by 300WM; 12-23-10 at 23:44.