Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my 1st Custom M4...need some advice and Help.

Feedback Score

Building my 1st Custom M4...need some advice and Help.

Hello, Im new to this Forum and to the custom building scene. I have been researching alot on this forum about the different companies and there products as far as to see how the quality of there products are and if they perform as they say.

Anyway im wanting to build my own custom M4 Carbine, im wanting a compact, light, and pratical rifle. if im correct i beleive fed law says the minimum rifle length is 16in. but is it possible to get an 14.5 barrel and adding a long enouph compensator to bring it to 16in. what is your advice on that. and what barrel do you reccomend?

As well as the upper reciever, i have been looking at the VLTOR MUR. from what i hear its a good upper. what do ya think and reccomend? aslo what bolt carrier and bolt do you recommend for the VLTOR MUR?

and for the Lower i was looking at geting either the sun devil or the LMT lower with the 2 stage trigger and sopmod stock. but not to sure on witch to go with. any suggestions or advice on wich i should go with?

Im currently in iraq right now, but want to order everything so that ill have it all together for when i get back. any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm not trying to be a dick (although I have a bad habit of coming across that way ), but the answers to most of your questions are available on this site with a little reading.

One good resource is here and another is here.

If you have specific questions about specific gear, chances are there are people here who can provide you the information you're looking for. All you have to do is ask.

Feedback Score
    I would buy a complete lmt lower and upper seperate and snap them together with their bolt carrier and bolt. You save the 150 on the federal tax on complete guns and you have one of the best guns made. Or if you want something more dressed up look into the new noveske gun that has the rail and his new hammer forged barrel.

Your correct on the barrel, it has to be 16in overall not including the flash hider. You can include the flash hider in the length if its permanently attached by pining and welding it to the barrel. If you go with the 14.5 you will need a phantom fh and if you go 14.7 you can use the standard a2 fh. When you get a bolt no matter what brand just make sure its mp tested like the lmt, colt or the bcm.. Hope that helps.

steve

Feedback Score
    thanks ss, im probly am going to go with the lmt lower, and an vltor mur upper. still thinking about what barrel i want though. thanks alot for your help.

Feedback Score
    well ive been researching and reading alot, just like rob said. and ive been geting prices with G & R tactical ,and seeing if hes got what i want in stock. but from what i read from other threads G & R is tha man to deal with.

so far this is what ive decided on geting.

-VLTOR MUR w/FA and Shell Deflector.
    -14.5 Noveske barrel
    -POF GEN II lower
    -LMT SOPMOD stock

still researching on the rest of the pieces of the the rifle. but any sugestions or advice would be helpfull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why not just go with a complete LMT Defender lower? You can buy the entire lower half (Defender lower, SOPMOD stock....and 2 stage trigger if you want) all in one package?

Nothing wrong with POF....just no need to go with as many different companies as your initial list suggests....unless you've got a reason for going that route? I'm guessing that you want an all billet upper and lower?

There's a lot more reason to go with a billet upper than there is with a billet lower, and the VLTOR MUR would work seamlessly with an LMT lower as well. Just curious as to your reasoning.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    Why not just go with a complete LMT Defender lower? You can buy the entire lower half (Defender lower, SOPMOD stock....and 2 stage trigger if you want) all in one package?

Nothing wrong with POF....just no need to go with as many different companies as your initial list suggests....unless you've got a reason for going that route? I'm guessing that you want an all billet upper and lower?

There's a lot more reason to go with a billet upper than there is with a billet lower, and the VLTOR MUR would work seamlessly with an LMT lower as well. Just curious as to your reasoning.
    ya i could go that route as well... but your right, id rather just stay all billet. aslo the other reason why is that i like the billet lower that POF has, and the integrated trigger gaurd, and i really like the HK safe/fire .etchings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutout86 View Post
    ya i could go that route as well... but your right, id rather just stay all billet. aslo the other reason why is that i like the billet lower that POF has, and the integrated trigger gaurd, and i really like the HK safe/fire .etchings.
    Keep in mind your adding avoidable weight (probably not a whole lot though), for aesthetics purposes alone with a billet lower. If the POF is what you like, then get it...as function and reliability are not affected. I have the VLTOR MUR on one of my rifles, which does not have a billet lower and it fits like a glove, with no weird weight distribution issues what so ever. The photo is below.

Sounds good..it'll be a nice rifle with the parts you mentioned. Obviously you're going the correct route on internals too? A quality LPK, BCG and trigger group?
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    Keep in mind your adding avoidable weight (probably not a whole lot though), for aesthetics purposes alone with a billet lower. If the POF is what you like, then get it...as function and reliability are not affected. I have the VLTOR MUR on one of my rifles, which does not have a billet lower and it fits like a glove, with no weird weight distribution issues what so ever. The photo is below.

Sounds good..it'll be a nice rifle with the parts you mentioned. Obviously you're going the correct route on internals too? A quality LPK, BCG and trigger group?
    nice rifle, what lower do you have for it? and barrel/flashhider, just curouis? on the LPK, BCG and trigger group, im still researching and looking on them. not to sure whats good or not. but will keep researching and looking around here on this forum for more info. but any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks again for the advice and your help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The specs on the whole rifle above:

CMMG lower

CMMG M10 barrel (14.5")

Phantom hider (Brings the OAL to 16")

VLTOR MUR-1 upper

LMT Enhanced BCG

Magpul CTR, MAID & Winter trigger guard)

KNS Anti rotation pins

LMT 2 Stage trigger

Daniel Defense 9.0 Lite

Aimpoint ML3 & Magnifier

La Rue mounts

This rifle is the current favorite, I am really happy with it. The only addition will be the La Rue pivot mount for the magnifier. It hadn't been released when I needed a mount, but came out like a month later. Dems da breaks.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast