Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my 1st Custom M4...need some advice and Help.

Feedback Score
    i have a question, whats the diffrence in a 2 stage trigger, and 1 stage trigger. whats better. does anyone know what type trigger the army issue m4 has? id think i would like to stick with what ever its equiped with, if possible.

also i was wanting to go with a JP tactical carreir, i looked at the thread that C4I grant posted about it. looks like a good product. just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with them, i was also looking at the Young Mfg NM "Lightning" Chrome Bolt Carrier. does anyone have any experience with them. ive heard that going with a lighter carrier helps lower the recoil, what else would help lower the recoil? thanks in advance for the feedback.

Feedback Score
    Ive broken Several 2 stages triggers and recommend staying away from them when possible.

I use Stag/LMT/Colt Single stage triggers which is CURRENT issue on the M4, however there is talk of them going to the Geissile Automatic trigger and they are the BEST 2 stage trigger BAR NONE, the only one I actually recommend.

Hopefully Grant will jump in and talk more about the Giessel Automatic Trigger.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLovinTexan View Post
    Ive broken Several 2 stages triggers and recommend staying away from them when possible.

I use Stag/LMT/Colt Single stage triggers which is CURRENT issue on the M4, however there is talk of them going to the Geissile Automatic trigger and they are the BEST 2 stage trigger BAR NONE, the only one I actually recommend.

Hopefully Grant will jump in and talk more about the Giessel Automatic Trigger.

Rob
    the geissile automatic trigger huh... ill look into it... thanks for the info, were in texas are you from, if you dont mind me asking.

Feedback Score
    Allen Texas.

The giessel triggers have a price tag but they are worth it.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutout86 View Post
    i have a question, whats the diffrence in a 2 stage trigger, and 1 stage trigger. whats better. does anyone know what type trigger the army issue m4 has? id think i would like to stick with what ever its equiped with, if possible.
    Single stage trigger is standard issue in M4's and M16's of all generations.
    Only DMR's, SPR's and other specialty guns get a two stage.

Single stage triggers have a single heavy trigger pull with a decent amount of creep built-in to help reliability.

Two stage triggers will have two seperate "stages", first a medium weight creep (also for reliability) and then you will feel the trigger stop against the second "stage". The second stage will require a little bit more force until the trigger breaks.

Two stage triggers greatly improve longrange accuracy by giving the user the ability to know when the trigger will break.
    It's much more difficult to shoot accurately with a heavy single stage trigger.

If you are mostly shooting close and fast, the difference in triggers will not matter.

I run a Jewel two stage trigger setup to about 1lb first stage and 4-6 ounce second stage.
    This is a scary lightweight trigger and it suprises everyone the first time they try it.
    I'm used to lightweight triggers and I absolutely love it.
    Timney did me a 2 lb trigger by special request.
    This will probably go in one of my next builds.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    thanks for explaining that for me, im going to go with a 2 stage, just incase i want to take some long distance shots. and anything that helps with accuracy is got to be good. i looked at those geissele triggers. but a bit pricey, but from what i read there worth it. ill probly just go ahead and get one. since im still in iraq. and have till jan or feb till i get home. so i have all the time in the world to figure out what i want for sure, and to have the funds for it. but ill continue on with my researching. thanks alot for your help.

aslo a question for AR15, is a lightwait trigger better than a heavier one, as far as long range shooting, or even for close and fast firing. would you be able to shoot quiker and more concistant?

Feedback Score
    is a lightwait trigger better than a heavier one, as far as long range shooting, or even for close and fast firing. would you be able to shoot quiker and more concistant?
    The differences in trigger weight are more noticable the farther out and the slower you are shooting.

If you are proned out plinking at 300+ yds, the lighter trigger makes a HUGE difference.
    If you are running past windows and spraying a few rounds into each as you pass by, you would not really notice a difference with a heavier or lighter trigger.

A lighter trigger is NO WORSE at close & fast work, but a heavier trigger is worse at slow-fire long range work.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    The differences in trigger weight are more noticable the farther out and the slower you are shooting.

If you are proned out plinking at 300+ yds, the lighter trigger makes a HUGE difference.
    If you are running past windows and spraying a few rounds into each as you pass by, you would not really notice a difference with a heavier or lighter trigger.

A lighter trigger is NO WORSE at close & fast work, but a heavier trigger is worse at slow-fire long range work.
    si, so i guess you would be better off just going with a lighter trigger, just incase you need/want to shoot 300+ yds. you can do so more affectivly. and can still be afective when doing close and fast firing...what light trigger do you recomend. you said you have used the jewel 2 stage, huh. has that been a good trigger for you, any problems or anything, and what about the timney, whats the details on those. thanks again for your help bro. i really do aprecaite it.

Feedback Score
    si, so i guess you would be better off just going with a lighter trigger, just incase you need/want to shoot 300+ yds. you can do so more affectivly. and can still be afective when doing close and fast firing...what light trigger do you recomend. you said you have used the jewel 2 stage, huh. has that been a good trigger for you, any problems or anything, and what about the timney, whats the details on those. thanks again for your help bro. i really do aprecaite it.
    The Gieselle gets rave reviews and is as good as they get.
    The KAC's also are supposed to be great.
    I have not had the pleasure to own either of these.
    The Jewel's are said to be unreliable by many people and they require gunsmith installation.
    I had mine double on me just recently, but otherwise it's been perfect for 4+ years of use.
    I believe it was the blown primer bits I cleaned out of the lower that caused that malfunction so I don't discredit the Jewel.
    The jewel is VERY adjustable, but adjustment points are also failure points.
    LMT / Armalite two stage triggers (same) are good to go.
    JP's single stage also get rave reviews, but need gunsmith installation.
    Rock River's seem to be good, but there are more reports of trouble with these.
    This probably has to do with how many there are out there in use and how little use some people give them vs. how much use the bullet hose people give them.
    Adco re-works RRA's 2 stage for improved reliability.
    WOA re-works RRA's 2 stage for improved smoothness and weight of pull.

Then you have the unitized triggers.
    These are complete trigger and hammer "modules" that just drop into a lower.
    Chip McCormick was the first to offer these.
    JP and Timney followed suit.
    Chip McCormick offers them in single or two stage.
    Timney and JP are single stage.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    well i orderd the POF GEN2 from Grant and is on its way, thanks alot for the fast comunication, and great costumer service...

im looking into the "guts" for the lower now, im going to get the geissele DMR trigger soon, but i was wondering on whats a good high quality LPK, as i dont want to fill the lower with junk.

thanks alot for the help and advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast