Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimpling a barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Dimpling a barrel

I am thinking of making a rifle. Looking at using a BCM 18" SS barrel. I am thinking of having the barrel dimpled or fluted to drop the weight some, as I plan to use the rifle in the carbine roll.

Do yall know how much weight reduction I can get by dimpling the barrel or having it fluted? I would think with the dimpling the barrel would cool much faster because of the added surface area. is that correct?

thanks.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    You're not going to see a crazy difference from fluting unless you're starting out with a heavy barrel to begin with. You might email ADCO and ask about the weight difference. Have you considered one of the .625 lightweight barrels from like DD or BCM?
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 11-18-10 at 18:50.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What I am lookin for I think....is a 18 inch rifle length gas system barrel. The one I am lookin at is a medium profile. I have considered a light weight barrel but have decided against it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you want the most weight shaved off you need to recontour or reprofile the diameter of your barrel vs. fluting or dimpling. You will hear many arguments from both sides of the spectrum in terms of what the potential effects are of performing these mods to a barrel.

If I were going to do it I would let the guy who does the KAC barrels do it in their proprietary pattern.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Do you happen to have the contact info of who does their work or know who does it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    PM sent
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-18-10 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like Trident said, recontouring the barrel will reduce the most weight but the dimpling does look cool or at least I like it. Here is a few pics of a rifle I had ADCO recontour the barrel under the handguard and dimple the front end. Turned out great and a good bit lighter, balances out really nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba04 View Post
    I am thinking of making a rifle. Looking at using a BCM 18" SS barrel. I am thinking of having the barrel dimpled or fluted to drop the weight some, as I plan to use the rifle in the carbine roll.

Do yall know how much weight reduction I can get by dimpling the barrel or having it fluted? I would think with the dimpling the barrel would cool much faster because of the added surface area. is that correct?

thanks.
    Get the 18" SPR barrel have ADCO turn it down under the handguards
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Here are a few pics of some that I have had done. The 12.5" dropped ~5oz, not sure on the 18". I would bet that contouring would shave more weight.

Noveske 12.5"

Noveske 18"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice, who did the work on those barrels? I'm interested in getting mine done in that same pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmillanman5 View Post
    Here are a few pics of some that I have had done. The 12.5" dropped ~5oz, not sure on the 18". I would bet that contouring would shave more weight.

Noveske 12.5"

Noveske 18"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast