Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Residents, telestock question. (we've got a noob here)

Feedback Score

NY Residents, telestock question. (we've got a noob here)

As you know if you live here, NY state requires that any telescoping stock be pinned. That doesn't bother me too much, but the LOP is just a bit too far extended to be completely comfortable. For those of you familiar with this law, Is it legal to adjust the LOP and then pin it for good? I don't want to break any laws, so I figured I'd make sure that would be legal before attempting such a thing. If it ain't legal, then I'll just learn to live with what can get. Thanks for any and all input.
    Last edited by Miroku; 03-14-11 at 17:45. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't believe the law says anything about length of pull, it just cannot fold or collapse. you can re-pin it in any position you want to.

Feedback Score
    lenght of pull has nothing to do with the law. it must be pinned so that the stock cannot be adjusted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a heads up, I had a gun store pin a stock on a rifle they sold me (when I lived in NY). About a month later I noticed the pin fell out/broke and I could collapse the stock. I went with fixed stocks (ace) after that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    As you know if you live here, NY state requires that any telescoping stock be pinned. That doesn't bother me too much, but the LOP is just a bit too much. The folks at Buffalo Gun Center tend to sound a bit like this, "NY State Law makes it so the stock must be pinned, but you can remove the pin right here, just unscrew it and you're good to go." I would like to place the stock in the second most extended length, then re-pin it. The problem is, I'm not sure if the law applies just to the LOP as well. Any clarification here?
    The Over All Length of the weapoin must be 26" as I recall. You can have it fully collapsed and still make that, unless you have an NFA barrel(which isn't allowed in NY either). As I understand it the stock is supposed to be blind pinned so that you can't "just unscrew it," similure to the expired federal AWB. You could unscrew the buffer tube when you move out of state, but that does not seem to be what he was saying.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    The Over All Length of the weapoin must be 26" as I recall. You can have it fully collapsed and still make that, unless you have an NFA barrel(which isn't allowed in NY either). As I understand it the stock is supposed to be blind pinned so that you can't "just unscrew it," similure to the expired federal AWB. You could unscrew the buffer tube when you move out of state, but that does not seem to be what he was saying.
    Minimum barrel length 16” on a riffle, overall length 26”, doesn’t matter where the stock is, but pinned doesn’t cut it. It has to be permanently fixed in place. They just had a big Investigation in Nassau County and locked up the employees and owners of about 5 gun stores for pinning stocks and making non compliant ARs compliant. The DA (Kathleen Rice) made a statement regarding the stocks being pinned and being able to be unpinned by the customer. Google it if you get a chance, this is probably going to go up the Court system. NRA is interested / involved in this too.
    Last edited by lt211; 03-14-11 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lt211 View Post
    Minimum barrel length 16” on a riffle, overall length 26”, doesn’t matter where the stock is, but pinned doesn’t cut it. It has to be permanently fixed in place. They just had a big Investigation in Nassau County and locked up the employees and owners of about 5 gun stores for pinning stocks and making non compliant ARs compliant. The DA (Kathleen Rice) made a statement regarding the stocks being pinned and being able to be unpinned by the customer. Google it if you get a chance, this is probably going to go up the Court system. NRA is interested / involved in this too.

Roger, should have said blind pinned. I use Sully stocks or A1 stocks on my personal rifles, but have seen pics and people talking of suspect "status" rifles. I'm personally not interested in fouling with non-compliant items.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There is a shop in Canaduaga that is owned by an Ontario county sheriff he can do it for you and read you the law. The guys at Buffalo gun center um well I just heard some stuff is all.

here is his number Top Notch 585-474-9220

Feedback Score

Question while we're on the subject...

Is there any online destination that can provide me with a print out of these laws. I think it'd be worthwhile to become acquainted with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    Is there any online destination that can provide me with a print out of these laws. I think it'd be worthwhile to become acquainted with them.
    In NY it would be the New York State Penal Law. http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LA...6+&TARGET=VIEW
    it would be in Article 265.00 definitions sections 22 and 23 and the offense: 265.02 subs 7 and 8.
    Last edited by lt211; 03-14-11 at 18:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast