Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dimpling a barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    There is one picture missing. One with barrel that is not dimpled but has some weight like dimpled. Because dimpled or fluted barrel are expected to be stiffer and more accurate that plain barrels of same length and mass, not same length and diameter.

okay that makes sense. But I think the pics were a little deceiving to say the least. But good pics none the less. This thread has been very informative.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
    okay that makes sense. But I think the pics were a little deceiving to say the least. But good pics none the less. This thread has been very informative.
    Deceiving?!?! WTF? Kudos to Marvin for showing the after effects of his work - there's some real proof for us. Nothing deceiving about it - try informative and honest. Nothing like hanging 50 freaking pounds off of a barrel. That is a lot of weight.
    I'm REALLY hoping I get my 7.62 N6 barrel back from him this week. Today would be perfect - got the day off! And my TROY TRX-E 308 rail is in the mail - between the two, I almost shaved an entire pound off the front of my rifle.

Feedback Score
    Maybe deceiving was a poor choice of words as it implies misleading. What I mean to say was confusing in the sense the same barrel weights were not compared as dimpled vs. un-dimpled with respect to rigidity.
    Last edited by Evil Bert; 02-10-11 at 12:03.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's not mis-leading at all if the concept is understood-

Two barrels of the same mass, length, chamber and bore; one is dimpled, the other smooth.
    Dimpled barrel will have
    -Larger outside diameter
    -Greater surface area
    -Greater stiffness due to larger diameter and mechanical advantage from shape.

Two barrels of the same diameter, length, chamber and bore; one is dimpled, the other smooth.
    Smooth barrel will have
    -Greater mass
    -Less surface area
    -Greater stiffness

If you want a good example of how this works, try the following experiment-

Take a flat sheet of paper and see how well it resists bending. Then, roll it into a single roll with an internal diameter of say .25". It's stiffer than a flat sheet. Now, take that same sheet and cut it into seven equal strips lengthwise. Roll each into a tube with a .25" inside diameter and place six tubes around the seventh. Although the assembly is the same length and weight, it's outside diameter, surface area and stiffness is greater. (Assume the paper sticks to itself so we aren't arguing about glue adding mass)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-14-11 at 01:14.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Re: Mistwolf

I understood everything perfectly until I read your example

It did remind me of something though: If one could somehow bind a material to the outside of a dimpled surface (or even a waffled one, reuleaux drill bits) you could make a stress skin/torsion box that actually would be as resistant to flex as a solid mass of the equivalent diameter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRH View Post
    I understood everything perfectly until I read your example

It did remind me of something though: If one could somehow bind a material to the outside of a dimpled surface (or even a waffled one, reuleaux drill bits) you could make a stress skin/torsion box that actually would be as resistant to flex as a solid mass of the equivalent diameter.
    I suppose my example (you're talking about my example using paper for tubes, right?) would have been better with an illustration. It also would have been easier to visualize if I'd been talking about fluting.

Each flute cut into the material acts in a similar fashion to a tube in my above example.

You're right about making "stress skin/torsion box". Honeycomb panels are light weight and very stiff
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112