Thread: Kimber/Wilson Question

Feedback Score

Kimber/Wilson Question

With the MIM parts in a Kimber, would it be more cost effective to just buy a Wilson pistol as opposed to having them work over a Kimber?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Probably not. Most of the MIM parts are relatively easy to replace (slide stop, plunger tube, ejector, thumb safety, ignition parts). If you like the way it feels, you can leave the Kimber grip safety in place and this should avoid the need to refinish the pistol and save some money on the job.

Wilson has a rep that posts on this forum, perhaps he'll offer some advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are other differences between a Kimber and Wilson besides the MIM parts. If your budget keeps you from affording a new Wilson I would go with a Springfield over a Kimber for a builder because of the firing pin safety issues.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I was a Kimber fan but recently saw a SA Operator that was really nicely put together...of course I also saw a SS Mil-Spec where everything was super loose. I'd say buy a hand selected Springfield loaded or operator and send it to the custom shop (they only have a 8 week wait and do nice work) to get it worked over as you see fit. You can buy the parts you like and send them with the gun or have them supply them. Another alternative is a Les Baer TRS if you are after a more classy looking 1911...they cost about $1000 less then a Wilson CQB and it shouldn't require any work, I love mine.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 11-20-10 at 18:14.