Thread: Help Needed to Remove Flash Hider

Feedback Score

Help Needed to Remove Flash Hider

It's not pinned, just real tight. Should I apply heat? If so do I apply it to the flash hider or the barrel?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    It helps to have a barrel clamp or an action block for the upper receiver. Before I removed mine, I shot it with PB blaster several times a day for a few days. Heat isn't necessary.
    Whereabouts in SW Ohio are you ? I'm in Dayton myself, if push comes to shove I may be able to lend you a hand.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good set of barrel V-blocks, good wrench. If the FH is Rocksetted on, it will be difficult to remove and heat isn't going to help that much. Rumor has it that the best way to address a Rocksett problem is by soaking the joint in water - room temperature overnight or longer.

My barrel blocks are some V-grooves I cut across the grain into a short block of 2x4. I line them with some thin rubber to minimize the chance the barrel will rotate in the blocks. Don't try to remove a tough flash hider using just an action block IMHO.
    Last edited by Hmac; 11-21-10 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Take about a 4 ft. section of old garden hose and slice that length into 6" sections.....then take the eight 6" sections and slice them lengthwise so that you can wrap them around the barrel. Take the cut sections and interlace them around a portion of your barrel so that one is on top of the other. Then clamp the hose covered portion of the barrel into a work bench vise. Now all you will need is the appropriate sized wrench and a little elbow grease.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-21-10 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a question, is it possible to loosen a barrel by removing and installing a flash hider?

I have a carbine with a long rail and no way to clamp the barrel, 10" rail 10.5" barrel.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    It helps to have a barrel clamp or an action block for the upper receiver. Before I removed mine, I shot it with PB blaster several times a day for a few days. Heat isn't necessary.
    Whereabouts in SW Ohio are you ? I'm in Dayton myself, if push comes to shove I may be able to lend you a hand.
    I'm just north of Cincy. I'll keep the offer in mind. Thanks.
    I have it socking in PB Blaster. I'll keep soaking it for a couple days until my new hand gaurd comes in.

It's a Stag upper. Do they use anything on the threads?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I have a question, is it possible to loosen a barrel by removing and installing a flash hider?

I have a carbine with a long rail and no way to clamp the barrel, 10" rail 10.5" barrel.

Cameron
    Not really -- you'd have to try pretty hard. It's much easier to shift the gas block, especially if the gas block uses set screws in parallel line with the barrel. Real FSBs won't budge.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You need to have the proper tools- i.e a vise block. Once you have that, then apply some Kroil or other lube and let it sit. Then apply the wrench with steady pressure.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com