Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" middy barrels with .75" at muzzle for FSB - dissy

Feedback Score

16" middy barrels with .75" at muzzle for FSB - dissy

Thinking about getting a 16" barrel with a profile that ends up with .75" at the muzzle end so that a FSB can be positioned there (at rifle length) and pinned.

Would this barrel profile be considered a "standard"? Any suggestions on top picks or sources for such a barrel? (The barrel would be used to make a mid-length gas dissy upper).

Anyone know of any FSBs made to fit smaller diameter than .75"? Something that could mount at the end of a smaller diameter barrel?
    Last edited by DHart; 11-18-10 at 03:27.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    FSBs can be found that fit a 0.625" journal - I'd think this would be more practical. They're not easy to find, or weren't; I found some a year or so ago at CMMG.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    DHart,

Getting a little impatient for BCM's version?! Me too man.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    FSBs can be found that fit a 0.625" journal - I'd think this would be more practical. They're not easy to find, or weren't; I found some a year or so ago at CMMG.
    I had a hope and a prayer that somewhere out there might be a FSB that would fit a slimmer barrel profile. Thanks for that info… I will do some searches!

Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    DHart,

Getting a little impatient for BCM's version?! Me too man.

-Jax
    Jax… you got that right, man!
    Last edited by DHart; 11-18-10 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    DD uses 0.625 FSBs on their lightweight barrels. They don't list them on their site but perhaps they would sell one if asked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    DD uses 0.625 FSBs on their lightweight barrels. They don't list them on their site but perhaps they would sell one if asked.
    Thanks for that. I just found that BCM is selling .625 FSBs as well.

So the next question is which barrels have .625 profile in a long enough section at the muzzle to mount a .625 FSB there.

Feedback Score
    I recently ordered and installed a DD 16" lightweight midi using a 9.0 Lite Rail for a light weight upper. Very happy so far.

Feedback Score
    slomo... we're talking about a dissy build. 16" middy barrel with pinned FSB at the rifle length position on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    I believe the barrel profile with the .750 diameter extended out to the muzzle is known as the "government" profile, as it was originally used on the M16A2. This profile is pretty common so you should have a variety of barrels to choose from. Here's a good example from BCM.

If you look closely at Stickman's photos of the BCM Dissipator prototype, you can see where the FSB is installed over the barrel markings. It looks to me like they simply took an existing government profile barrel and installed both the gas block and the FSB on the .750" portion. This seems to me like it would be the path of least resistance if you want an upper in this configuration.

I've seen lightweight barrels from DD and BCM with the .625" gas block diameter but I believe both of these have a smaller diameter (.570"?) from the gas block to the muzzle so you wouldn't be able to use a .625" FSB mounted in the rifle position with these.

Feedback Score
    Matt... I could be wrong, but I believe the sample BCM Dissy Stickman photographed is a medium contour barrel, but it could be something custom turned as well.

I have a LW BCM 16" middy barrel that is measures .576 near the muzzle and a BCM 14.5" middy barrel which measures .75 near the muzzle. Unfortunately, BCM only describes these barrels as LW or no mention of profile at all. And no diameter specs are given either. I think the barrel you linked to (as well as my 14.5 middy barrel) would be considered medium profile, a profile which would definitely work with the FSB at the rifle position.

I think the profiles go something like this:

lightweight (A1) - thickness in front of handguard about .575-.675
    government (A2)- thickness in front of handguard about .715
    medium - thickness in front of handguard about .75
    Last edited by DHart; 11-19-10 at 01:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast