Thread: Surplus Ammo and Arms Stripped Lower Review

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Surplus Ammo and Arms Stripped Lower Review

I'm going to start off by stating I searched the forums and the internet for a review for this reciever and for anything relating to this brand and product to no avail. Below is a review of the reciever, as unbias and to the point as I can be with some pics to follow. It is my first review, so please leave any comments on how I did. I am putting this review up as there seems to be alot of interest in this product so that was my reason for putting it up. Enjoy!

From what I have learned, this reciever is mnfg'd by aero precision under the surplus ammo and arms name, as a in-house brand so-to-speak. My budget doesn't have room for the high-end brands for my build and this caught my attention. I paid $80.00 to get it from gunbroker.com to my house, through my local ffl with transfer fees and shipping included. I purchased the reciever with the selector picto's color filled.

Fit and Finish:
    I have to say that I was more than pleased with the fit and finish of the reciever. It has no abrupt edges, all the lines and points flow smoothly. The annodizing is a deep black, semi-gloss finish. It holds well against scratches and the color is even with no spotches or uneven anno anywhere. I utilized a RRA complete lower parts kit with this lower and the finish on the RRA parts and upper I used seemed grey compared to the finish on the SAA lower. The fit of the parts was great, tight and everything moves and functions without excessive resistance. The most impressive thing I experienced was the fit of any type of magazine. PMags, Lancer L5 mags, GI steel mags all fit great, snug and almost zero movement while still allowing easy insertion and removal of any magazines. One minor issue with fit is the buffer and spring retaining pin is a little loose. There is no cycling issues with this, just leaves the buffer slightly protruding out from the top(see picture) and some minor resistance when taking down the upper and lower. Overall, I give this a 9 out of 10 for fit and finish due to this issue.

Weight and Durability:
    Lets address the issue with weight. Incredibly lightweight, and seems to be decently solid. It doesn't feel like it is going to break in your hand. It feels comparable in weight to 2nd and 3rd Gen POF lowers, just not as robust. Some people might have issues with this, as it makes my mid-length carbine with HBAR barrel a little front heavy. This won't be an issue in the near future when I get my Form 1 back from the BATFE for my SBR. As far as durability goes, I havn't been able to get any range time from it yet as it has been in the -5 degree range here in montana, but I wouldn't expect it to be much of an issue with any rifles, semi-auto or full. The thickness of the walls of the reciever leave something to be desired though. If you have any experience with a Stag Arms reciever, its maybe a hair thinner. All in all, I give this a 7 out of 10 for weight and durability due to it being a little too light and just a little thin for my taste.

Value and Functionality:
    Last point I would like to cover is overall value and functionality. This reciever functions, with the limited experience I have had with it, great for a light use, range rifle or hunting. I would not recommend it for tactical or high-traffic use weapons such as a WROL rifle or any LE applications. As for value, I don't think there is a better bang for your buck on any reciever out there that I have seen and used(no pun intended ). For $80.00 shipped and transferred to my name, not bad at all and great for a low-mid budget build. All in all, I give this reciever a 10 out of 10 for Value and Functionality.

As an overall rating, I will give this reciever a 7.5 out of 10 due to the thinness of the reciever walls, extremely minor fitment issues with the buffer and spring retention pin, and possible durability issues if used with a high demand POU(philosophy of use) rifle. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a super cost-effective, low to mid budget range rifle build. Enjoy the pics, please leave any comments or questions and I will get back with you as soon as possible.

Pics Section:

Last edited by Th3Revreant; 11-21-10 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting.

BTW, you need to stake your castle nut.

Feedback Score
    SAA is based out of Tacoma, WA. good guys. a little high priced, but good people. kinda looking into building another AR. keep us up to date on how the lower runs.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Will do, might have a chance to run it through its pacese friday when I get paid, there might be a decent break in the snow this week, just enough to do a couple hundred rounds.

Feedback Score
    I have an Aero Precision lower on my AR. I would agree that the rollmark locations and font definitely look like Aero's work.

I am by no means an AR or firearms expert - that said the function of my Aero lower has been excellent. I did a weekend carbine course with zero issues (well except installing an A2 screw in an A1 buttstock, but that is my issue not Aero's). Mag well drops GI mags free, but doesn't feel loose, holes line up in the right spots, etc.

My question I guess is what is your concern with the lighter weight? Are you thinking about trigger pin holes? Actual physical impacts like bashing the rifle against stuff during hard use?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makintrax73 View Post
    My question I guess is what is your concern with the lighter weight? Are you thinking about trigger pin holes? Actual physical impacts like bashing the rifle against stuff during hard use?
    My deal with the lightweight is not the worry of it being damaged during rough use, just the fact that on my middy with the HBAR barrel tends to make the rifle a little too front end heavy for my taste. I plan on mounting a tac light and vfg eventually, its going to get a little more front heavy the more items I mount(only planning on the light and vfg). Very minor setback for me, but wont be a problem when I get my form 1 back for my SBR whenever it decideds to show. Other than that, I am overly please with this lower
    Last edited by Th3Revreant; 11-22-10 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    They are nice lowers machined by Aero, but AIM Surplus sold a couple batches of these not too long ago with a 'crystallized' defect on the anodizing. I love AIM, but they did not declare these as blems or anything of the sort. You can't really tell from these photos, and I already had mine media blasted and Cerakoted, but if you search around you can find photos of these lowers. I have owned Aero lowers and Spike's lowers and the anodizing has always been flawless. AIM sold many of these SAA lowers that did not look all that great at all.

Last edited by liberty057; 11-22-10 at 14:39.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
    - George Washington

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Guess you learn something new everyday, thanks for the additional information. Someone had said that spikes tactical started having aero do their lowers. Thanks for sharing the pics, much apperciated.