Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret City Weaponeers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Secret City Weaponeers

Searching high and low for the perfect kydex holster meeting my requirement of comfort, versatility, and concealment seemed to be an endless pursuit. It would seem to many that there is no holster that would meet all these requirements. Recently, I was contacted by Tony the owner of Secret City Weaponeers, a company known for leather holsters (as seen on the website). At first, I was curious as to why a leather holster company would contact me when I was specifically looking for kydex. Well long behold, Tony is venturing into the world of kydex. Knowing that the Kydex holster industry is exploding much like the AR industry, I was a bit skeptical thinking it was just like any other Kydex/Raven Concealment product. However, I was wrong.

The company name, Secret City Weaponeers derives from the location of the company, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, a city that supplied enriched uranium for the World War Atomic bomb. SCW is in the process of finalizing plans for the K-25 holster. The “K” denoting for “kydex” and 25 degrees of cant for a VERY discreet IWB use.

Before anyone starts ranting that this is another copy cat of Raven Concealment (believe me, I thought so too), let’s examine the design that differs from Raven Concealment. Being optimized for IWB use, I could tell by the aggressive curve on the front end the holster that it actually hugs the body. Like many others, I have a problem with other kydex holsters “jutting” out of my pants. Anyone with RCS-like holsters know exactly what I am talking about! I prefer to carry my holsters at the 3 O’clock position, but in order to conceal, I had to carry at the 2 o’ clock position.

However, it proved problematic when I got into a car or sat down as the holster or gun tended to poke my ribs and stomach. With the K-25 holster, it just may solve that problem! With the curve, one can carry at the 3 or 4 o’clock positions. I have not seen a holster company that aggressively curves the front end holster like so. It appears the K-25 addresses this issue.

Another incredibly neat feature about these holsters is the ability to be used OWB. While the K-25 holster may be optimized for IWB use, Tony kept the platform versatile for OWB use as well. While he told me there were other “secret tricks” that he has shelved that could be used for the holster to aid in IWB comfort, he decided to shelve the “IWB secret tricks” to remain as modular as possible for the K-25 series. Sometime in the future, with enough requests, he will release a holster solely for IWB use that utilizes all these “secret tricks”. I asked him what these trick were…but being from Secret City Weaponeers, he wouldn’t disclose. The company name is very fitting.

The holes are placed purposefully for OWB versatility. Tony adamantly favors MALICE Clips so that the user can wear the holster on a war belt. I remember having to jerry rig my holster to fit onto MOLLE. While it worked great, its great knowing that K-25 is designed so it is readily available for war belt use. Turns out, Blade-Tech MOLLE Loks work too!

Holsters are priced at $67.50, with synthetic IWB loops (they can be un-cut or pre-cut to the users desired belt width) Kydex OWB are offered as well for $7.50 in 1.5” or 1.75”. Colors come in either OD/Black two-tone or Black. Tuckable loops are NOT offered. If the user does want one, the holster can accept tuckable clips from other companies such as Comp-tac. Another huge plus in my book!

As of right now, Tony is only making these for the M&P 9/.40/.357 and Glock 19/23/32, right hand. The K-25 is designed to accommodate M&P’s with a thumb safety and in fact, Tony says that the holster will engage the thumb safety if the user forgets to. Nice touch!

In a few weeks, the Glock 17/22/31 and M&P 45, right hand will be added. No worries left handers! Left hand models soon will be added. Tony is a self proclaimed perfectionist, we all know it takes time to perfect templates for holsters. By the looks of the pictures…he definitely is.

K-25

Video of the Secret City Weaponeers K-25 in use

K-25 with Mag Pouch

Y-12

P-Mag Pouch

Colors!

New Loops

Tony can be contacted at seraph@secretcityweaponeers.com, or isotope7holsters@secretcityweaponeers.com

Link to website http://secretcityweaponeers.com/

EDIT: I have NO affiliation with this company nor am I paid. Just spreading the word on what seems like a very promising product!
    Last edited by aflin; 03-11-12 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    K-25 is a clever name ...

K-25 is a former uranium enrichment facility located on the southwestern end of the Oak Ridge Reservation, in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, constructed by the Manhattan Project.

The code name "K-25" was a combination of the "K" from the Kellex Corporation, the initial contractors of the plant, and a World War II-era code designation for uranium-235.
    I grew up in that area and have heard of K-25 for my entire life. Nice write-up. Sounds like a professional commercial.

The kydex molding looks good but I've never been a fan of the loops attached that way. I prefer the offset struts of my CTAC.

While the aggressive 25 degree cant would aid in concealment .... how is the draw? I think I would have to adjust my draw more than I like to make it work for me.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Tony is good people, and his leather holsters are some of Brommeland's best-kept secrets. If he's now branching out into Kydex on his own, I have every confidence that the result will be something truly special.

AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thats a really cool looking holster. I can definately see why he did some things the way he did.

Looks good and an interesting direction for IWB kydex.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Reference cant. 25 degrees is extreme for me. I find that cant should decrease as you get nearer to the 12 o'clock position. For instance the vast majority of AIWB holsters are neutral cant. As you look at IWB holsters designed to be carried at 3 o'clock they are mostly the FBI or 15 degrees of cant. It would make sense that this holster would be ideal for wearing behind the hip, at least to me. They do look very well made.

Also I agree with the OP. I find that If I move my CTAC just slightly in front of my hip (closer to the 2-230 range) "concealablity" goes way up compared to 3 o'clock.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Sounds like a professional commercial.

The kydex molding looks good but I've never been a fan of the loops attached that way. I prefer the offset struts of my CTAC.
    Haha Thanks!

Regarding the loops, it's purely personal preference. But it looks like it can be easily switched out with other manufacture loops/attachements.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Reference cant. 25 degrees is extreme for me. I find that cant should decrease as you get nearer to the 12 o'clock position
    Its a possibility to specify for cant degrees I would imagine. Be odd if a holster company didn't offer that option.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up

That is a very nice looking holster. Thanks for the pics and review.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Reference cant. 25 degrees is extreme for me. I find that cant should decrease as you get nearer to the 12 o'clock position. For instance the vast majority of AIWB holsters are neutral cant. As you look at IWB holsters designed to be carried at 3 o'clock they are mostly the FBI or 15 degrees of cant. It would make sense that this holster would be ideal for wearing behind the hip, at least to me. They do look very well made.

Also I agree with the OP. I find that If I move my CTAC just slightly in front of my hip (closer to the 2-230 range) "concealablity" goes way up compared to 3 o'clock.
    You are correct, sir, that this holster is designed for wear @ ~4:00 on the belt, behind the hip, where it will achieve best concealment. The 25 degree cant is selected, not only to enhance concealment, but to better present the sidearm's grip to the user's reach @ ~4:00.

For those who prefer appendix carry, or something close to that position, I'm working on separate holster design. It's markedly different from this one, which is decidedly biased for wear behind the hip.
    Last edited by Seraph; 11-23-10 at 06:45.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    K-25 is a clever name ...

I grew up in that area and have heard of K-25 for my entire life. Nice write-up. Sounds like a professional commercial.

While the aggressive 25 degree cant would aid in concealment .... how is the draw? I think I would have to adjust my draw more than I like to make it work for me.
    Did you grow up near Oak Ridge? I'm an Oak Ridge native, myself. I might know you.

Regarding the struts you mention, they shouldn't be necessary with my holster, as the side flanges are already placed well apart from the holster's centerline. I believe the holes I've provided should allow for direct attachment of various popular tuckable clips, should one want them. Now, regarding the draw, I've carefully shaped the holster to allow for easy acquisition of a full firing grip, and a very nice draw, if you wear the rig @ ~4:00. While I know people who wear an aggressively canted holster @ 3:00, the K-25 holster isn't designed for such.

The Surefire X-300 compatible holster I'm working on is an entirely different animal, and hangs the sidearm at around a 10 degree cant.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    I want to thank all those who're saying kind things here, especially aflin, who doesn't know me from Adam, and has not much reason to be so kind and enthusiastic. You're all swell guys.

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast