Thread: A bit late on Impact Weapons Components

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A bit late on Impact Weapons Components

Impact Weapons Components
    TMC MOUNT-N-SLOT Light Mount

Quick teaser of my SBR as it stands now...

Back in June, I worked with Earl Pittman of Impact Weapons Components (IWC) on their OCP MOUNT-N-SLOT (Oblique Connection Point) for attaching MS2 slings and HK snap hooks to the Magpul MOE handguards. In September Earl again contacted me after looking at some of the photos I’d sent him of my SBR. Earl suggested I try their prototype light mount for my MOE handguard. As I’ll get into a little later, this was to evolve into the TMC 1" O.D. LIGHT MOUNT-N-SLOT. At that time, I was running a Streamlight TLR-1 with the Magpul Illumination kit on the right side of the weapon. Being that I’ve preferred a “thumb over bore” grip for a long time, the only place a light would fit on a carbine handguard with my big “mitt” was on the right side. To use the light with my thumb, I had to slightly cant the weapon to the left. This was not so much of an issue for me as I was naturally an instinctive shooter, and my “big mitt” made it a very subtle movement.

Earl sent me pictures of their mount configured for a Surefire G2 light. It looked to be a hearty kit that would suffer much abuse. I was again excited at the idea of something new for the MOE line as still little was available on the open market. Earl went on to tell me that the mounts would be available with the “clamp” for 1” lights, as well as with a small rail section for other lights such as my direct attach TLR-1. In addition, they would be available for both right and left hand users, and that these units could be mounted both top and bottom for both users and non-users of vertical grips. He even hinted that there would be a version for direct attaching Surefire’s Scout lights. Life was looking better still for the ever growing non-rail user crowd!

When I first received the unit, as usual, it came in IWC’s proprietary packaging that has everything separated and nicely displayed while attached to the box. Again, coming from an Aerospace manufacturing background, it was obvious to me that the product was designed to be used ruggedly. As with the OCP, it appeared to be made from billet 6061-T6 aluminum with black Type III anodize. The main structure of the unit was one piece with only the “clamping jaw” of the 1” clamp being separate. One cap screw was used to secure your light and provide a snug grip once tightened down. Earl was kind enough to provide a G2 light for me to T&E this unit, and the fit to weapon and light was superb! When I first shouldered the weapon though, I knew we had a problem. Earl had suggested and sent me a mount to run the G2 on the left side of the weapon. This was great in that now, with my thumb over grip, I merely had to slightly “rock” my support hand forward to activate the light. The base knuckle of my thumb would push the button on the tail cap there by turning on the unit. With practice, my hand placement turned into needing only to “flex” my support hand to activate the light. It was very fast and efficient. Problem was the mount it’s self was very bulky hindering my grip. Worse yet, there was a “point” where the junction was where the offset clamp arm of the mount jutted off of the main base. This sharp point stabbed my hand. It was sticking me right in the fleshy part between the base of my thumb and palm.

I fired off an email to Earl with my findings. Much to my pleasant dismay, Earl fired back an email with CAD drawings of a new design in less than an hour! WOW these guys were all over it! The newer design appeared to be much lower profile, but due to the radius or arc used at the point that formerly afflicted me, was just as strong or stronger. Now I was not only excited about the product, but excited about the most progressive company I’d ever worked with yet. They were real time designing product WITH the end users! Earl thanked me for my involvement and said as soon as the new mounts were in, he’s shoot me a couple for a test drive. I could not wait.

In the mean time, Earl informed me that they were going to offer these as we’d discussed for 1” lights, direct mount lights (rails), and a Scout mount. All would be available in either right or left side configurations. Before the mounts were ready, Earl went an extra step… told me he would like to have a “thank you” laser engraved on a few units for my input and assistance. I graciously accepted and again was impressed with Earl and his business model.

The day finally came, yet I missed FedEx causing me to go halfway across town to pick up the units. Regardless of me being sickly, the good Wife drove me to the FedEx center to retrieve the package. What made matters worse than being ill, was unbeknownst to me, I would continue to be under the weather for the following week prolonging actual trigger time with the new products. Even in my condition though, I soldiered on. When I opened the box, it was like Christmas.
    Once again, IWC’s final product had me all giddy. The new mounts were probably two thirds lower in profile than the preproduction unit I had.
    The second thing that jumped out was that the previously offending “point” was gone, and a gentle radius was in its place.
    That combined with the lower profile of the base alluded to good things to come. I could hardly wait to get home and mount it up.

Lastly, here it is all mounted up.

One of the mounts Earl had sent me to try was a direct mount for Surefire’s mini Scout. It was dubbed the TMC Scout Light Mount-n-Slot. I found this one most interesting and decided that even in my condition it was getting bolted up as soon as I arrived home. Unlike other IWC’s mounts, due to their low profile nature, the new units use flat Allen screws instead of Allen cap screws. This keeps the design very “slick”. As with the other designs, they still use the flat backing plates on the inside of the handguard. The TMC Scout was interesting in that you remove the rail mounting hardware from the Scout and simply bolt it directly to IWC’s mount. This was a very slick setup indeed. This unit was setup to mount on the right side of the weapon. As soon as we walked in the door, I confiscated the dinner table and mounted the Scout mount up. When I shouldered my SBR, yet again, I think I giggled out loud. It just fit perfect. With my thumb over bore grip, I needed only to straighten my thumb in order to activate the light. Gone was the sharp point on the mount its self and gone was the bulk of the mount that interfered with my grip. Even though I was not feeling well at the time, I knew this was going to be the hot ticket for many as well as myself.

I tried the other mounts all with similar results. After finally getting out and getting some trigger time with the SBR as configured, all my suspicions have been verified. I feel very comfortable with it now as a multipurpose go to gun with no feeling of “something’s missing”. The light with the mount is in perfect harmony for my intended purpose. IWC had definitely hit the mark yet again. Running the MOE handguard and MOE vertical grip (as a hand stop) coupled with IWC’s OCP sling mount and TMC Scout mount brings the little SBR to a complete weapons system for my needs. Suddenly all’s right in my world…

A little while after writing this, I mounted up the pressure switch on the Scout-N-MOE... even better still!
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-28-10 at 18:21.
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Added complete SBR to top...
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Scotty,

Excellent review. I have one of their QD sling mounts.

I am sure these will be top notch too!
    Last edited by usmcvet; 11-28-10 at 19:30. Reason: add photo
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well done! Very slick...
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That really does look nice! I've got MOE handguard on three carbines. I'll definitely be interested in what these are priced at.

The workmanship certainly looks top notch.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    That looks great and solves a big problem for me. If I remember correctly, they are a Colorado company based out of Timnath, and I always try to support local companies.