Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMI M855 5.56x45

Feedback Score

IMI M855 5.56x45

Does anybody know anything about IMI M855 5.56x45 ammunition? I picked up several boxes at a gun show this weekend and the sign said steel core on it. They stick to a magnet which verifies that they have a steel core, my next question is that are these true AP rounds? My understanding is that NATO M855 AP rounds have a painted green tip and are illegal for the general public to own.
    I have to find me a steel plate somewhere and test out a few rounds (and hold on to the rest...)
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Luke 22:36

"Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety"

"Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians"

"64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yes, they have steel inside of the bullet.

No, they are not armor piercing.

Armor piercing ammo has a black tip and is M995.

Do a search for M855 ammunition, you will see that it has what would look like a tiny triangle steel insert that sits on top of the lead core. Kind of reminds me of the space capsule that would sit on top of the Apollo rockets in the 1960's.

It is legal to own in any location that rifle ammo is legal to own.

IMI M855 is excellent ammo. I've been shooting it for years.
    If you would like more of it, I know Weideners had it in stock. It comes in 30 rd brown boxes, 1,200 rds to a case. The cases stack very nicely...
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 11-29-10 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Yes, they have steel inside of the bullet.

No, they are not armor piercing.

Armor piercing ammo has a black tip and is M995.

Do a search for M855 ammunition, you will see that it has what would look like a tiny triangle steel insert that sits on top of the lead core. Kind of reminds me of the space capsule that would sit on top of the Apollo rockets in the 1960's.

It is legal to own in any location that rifle ammo is legal to own.

IMI M855 is excellent ammo. I've been shooting it for years.
    If you would like more of it, I know Weideners had it in stock. It comes in 30 rd brown boxes, 1,200 rds to a case. The cases stack very nicely...
    That great info, Thanks!
    If it is not AP ammo, what is the purpose for the steel inserts? I am guessing greater penetration; more so than those without the steel core.
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaniac View Post
    That great info, Thanks!
    If it is not AP ammo, what is the purpose for the steel inserts? I am guessing greater penetration; more so than those without the steel core.

Yes its for greater penetration.

Feedback Score
    I love M855. Runs great in my BCM midlength...but then what doesn't.

Feedback Score
    I have not yet tried the ones I bought this weekend but I can't wait to see how my 16" carbine likes them...
    I am guessing the M885's are 62 grain; if that's the case, they should do well with the 1:9 twist in my barrel.
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaniac View Post
    It was designed to better penetrate Soviet helmets out to 600 meters from 20" barreled SAW's, during the Cold War.

The green paint was to distinguish the 62gr M855 rd from the 55gr M193 round for countries (like ours) that had fielded the M16A1 with a 1/12 barrel, prior to going to the NATO standard SS109 for the various 1/7 guns.

All M855 meets NATO's SS109 standard. Not all SS109 ammo meets M855. Some countries put larger inserts to prevent bullet fragmentation. Their goal is a more "humane" bullet. Don't ask me to justify the logic...

For several years after the Army and the Marine Corps switched to the M16A2 with the 1/7 barrels (using M855 ammo), the Air Force and some National guard units still had M16a1's (which require the 55 gr M193 round). Hence the green paint could distinguish between the two rounds.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 11-29-10 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Beat,

Is there a short list of which countries used larger inserts in their SS109 rounds?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    It was designed to better penetrate Soviet helmets out to 600 meters from 20" barreled SAW's, during the Cold War.

The green paint was to distinguish the 62gr M855 rd from the 55gr M193 round for countries (like ours) that had fielded the M16A1 with a 1/12 barrel, prior to going to the NATO standard SS109 for the various 1/7 guns.

All M855 meets NATO's SS109 standard. Not all SS109 ammo meets M855. Some countries put larger inserts to prevent bullet fragmentation. Their goal is a more "humane" bullet. Don't ask me to justify the logic...

For several years after the Army and the Marine Corps switched to the M16A2 with the 1/7 barrels (using M855 ammo), the Air Force and some National guard units still had M16a1's (which require the 55 gr M193 round). Hence the green paint could distinguish between the two rounds.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, that is good information to know.
    As for justifying the concept of a "humane" bullet...I'll leave that one alone...
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by infidelprodigy View Post
    Beat,

Is there a short list of which countries used larger inserts in their SS109 rounds?
    The Swiss are the first to come to my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast