Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training course in a ban state: weapon mods?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Scootle and PRGGodfather,
    I'll contact the host there and confirm everything, but it sounds to be doable. Will follow the advise to have documentation of everything on hand as well, good call. By the way you are right, CA is a beautiful state to visit! Thanks again for all the help.

Echoed... Contact the host range/organization. They should have all the regs ironed out.

Jeff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I took a course from LAV in CA last year; I live in Las Vegas. I researched this quite a bit and could find NO EVIDENCE of any exception to any CA regulations that pertained to training courses. I ended up borrowing 10-round mags from a member here to avoid any sort of potential problems. I highly suggest you tread lightly and contact the CA DOJ before you bring anything in state.

And don't think being a "good guy" will get you off the hook with the cops; a member in the BARFCOM NV hometown forum posted a story about his active-duty Marine nephew being arrested for having a loaded 1911 locked in a safe in his car.

Jay

Edit: I forgot to add that this was for a pistol course so there may be a difference between "high-capacity" mags and other banned features.
    Last edited by dookie1481; 12-08-10 at 12:06.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    I'll contact the host there and confirm everything, but it sounds to be doable. Will follow the advise to have documentation of everything on hand as well, good call. By the way you are right, CA is a beautiful state to visit! Thanks again for all the help.
    Yeah, if this is a Vickers-sanctioned course, I'd be shocked if they don't set you up properly coming from out of state. I'd also be shocked if you didn't have LEO classmates who could help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    And don't think being a "good guy" will get you off the hook with the cops; a member in the BARFCOM NV hometown forum posted a story about his active-duty Marine nephew being arrested for having a loaded 1911 locked in a safe in his car.
    In CA you can't have a loaded anything outside your home (or other designated areas)... loaded anything in an automobile is a HUGE no-no, esp. if they catch you. Question is... how did they get a warrant to open up the locked safe in the car? I am pretty sure it requires a warrant to search locked containers, so there is more to the story than just that one issue.

Some people advise not even packing ammo/magazines in the same container as a gun so there is no possibility of LEO making a "mistake".

Yeah, we live in a crazy place, but we make-do.
    Last edited by scootle; 12-08-10 at 17:07. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    Yeah, if this is a Vickers-sanctioned course, I'd be shocked if they don't set you up properly coming from out of state. I'd also be shocked if you didn't have LEO classmates who could help you out.

In CA you can't have a loaded anything outside your home (or other designated areas)... loaded anything in an automobile is a HUGE no-no, esp. if they catch you. Question is... how did they get a warrant to open up the locked safe in the car? I am pretty sure it requires a warrant to search locked containers, so there is more to the story than just that one issue.

Some people advise not even packing ammo/magazines in the same container as a gun so there is no possibility of LEO making a "mistake".

Yeah, we live in a crazy place, but we make-do.
    No, it was a car accident, they asked and he told them that there was a weapon in the car. I understand the circumstances are different, my point is, if you do end up breaking the rules, don't expect the police to let you off because you're a "good guy".

Jay
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I took LAV's Basic Pistol and I couldn't get anyone to help me out with this shit either...I took it upon myself to try and find the answer.

The answer I found: no one seems to know if it's ok or not.

Jay
    — Frank Zappa

- Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i just built a new rifle, when i was planning on heading into enemy lines. ask Titleist about it- he's got the skinny on heading into cali for training. i'm pretty sure he even took SBRs, but that's just going from foggy memory.

personally, i wouldn't trust any "law" to protect me. laws aren't for the citizen, this day and age- they're against.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Snappy do you have more info on the class your talking about? When and where is it? I'd like to go, but I do not see it on Vickers training schedule. Tactical Response will be in Sac in Feb I'd like to go but will not risk it without further info.

http://vickerstactical.com/training-...ning-schedule/

Also FWIW I spoke to a gal in the AG's office and she told me you can not bring an AK to California for training, only competion. I was not fully confident in her knowledge and intend to keep trying. I want something in writing before I cross that line.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Snappy do you have more info on the class your talking about? When and where is it?

The course is stickied in the Training Course Announcements & AAR's section here under Vickers Tactical. Is scheduled for Aug 20-21 2011 in Chino CA.

Also FWIW I spoke to a gal in the AG's office and she told me you can not bring an AK to California for training, only competion. I was not fully confident in her knowledge and intend to keep trying. I want something in writing before I cross that line.
    It is proving to be difficult to get definitive answers, however it turns out I won't be able to take this course after all. A horse packing trip I was asked to guide on in Mongolia is now a go and I'll be over there for all of Aug. AK training, at least with Mr. Vickers, will have to wait. Many MANY thanks to all for sharing info in this thread. Maybe it'll point the next person in the right direction and avoid hassles or worse. Cheers all-
    Last edited by snappy; 12-17-10 at 12:09. Reason: Clean up post

Feedback Score
    It is proving to be difficult to get definitive answers, however it turns out I won't be able to take this course after all. A horse packing trip I was asked to guide on in Mongolia is now a go and I'll be over there for all of Aug. AK training, at least with Mr. Vickers, will have to wait. Many MANY thanks to all for sharing info in this thread. Maybe it'll point the next person in the right direction and avoid hassles or worse. Cheers all-
    Wow... horse packing in Mongolia?! I would definitely love to see the AAR for that one! Good luck!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Wow... horse packing in Mongolia?! I would definitely love to see the AAR for that one! Good luck!
    Thanks! Schedule as of now is 26 days in the saddle in the remote northern part of the country. I am looking greatly forward to it.

We will actually be accompanied by a small group of soldiers, including a couple officers who have done the trip before with the trip leader, who is a good friend of mine. The soldiers carry AK's on the trip and I'm *hoping* my enthusiasm will encourage them to share their training and shooting skills along the way. Will definitely take pics of the weapons and soldiers to post here for those interested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast