Page 205 of 256 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2556

Thread: Watches

Feedback Score

Watches

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Well, to be honest, I only lived the 6309 at the PX era, followed by the 7002 sucks in comparison, etc.
    The Vietnam to mid 80s era I had to learn, figure out, or was informed by old timers.
    I first saw someone with a new GShock in the late 87 or so.
    Dual display Seiko "Arnie" divers were available to sign for if Scout Swimmer or Combat Diver, but most had broken shrouds, not enough for everyone, etc.
    By late 90s I fist saw hockey pucks. Your huge digital wonders with every function.

To be honest, a Rolex dive watch, or even the Seiko tends to be, in the SOF community has kind of gone the way of the .45 1911, Randall knife, driving a manual. etc.
    I remember being on a team of 5 where two of us could drive a manual like a champ and the other three could not.
    Well, however you learned it, you're a veritable reference library compared to me. I'd seen Sam's model on one of the other forums, albeit one mainly with euro members, so I figured with your SOF background and travels you'd have some insight.

As far as the manual, of my last 7 cars, 2 were auto. I still like to "row my own" in the sports/musclecars. However, I think I'll get one of the big HP camaro's or Chally's with the new auto next time.

"I just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch
    Last edited by JC5188; 09-19-17 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Finding a local competent watch maker is my goal, one that can clean up the inside and help it to run better. It does run now but when I move it, it makes a heck of a racket, sounds like the wire spring is loose.
    I agree with RA/III...rotor could be loose. I have a couple of older Seiko 5 "shakers" that would charge for about 30 secs then stop. The rotors were engaged just enough to give the spring a little wind but were completely loose otherwise.

A good watch guy will disassemble, sonic clean, reassemble and regulate the movement, and it should run like new.

Again, tell him to keep it off the polisher!!!

"I just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    Photobucket link should take you to it.

Omega cracked down on Watchco building new watches out of NOS movements, cases, and factory parts,
    So I missed getting a no date one and have the one with a date window.

Omega did an homage new release to the models before this, but these are my favorite.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...psohb7woll.jpg

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Put a cheap NATO/early Bond style strap and it's on my wrist. If you enlarge the picture, you can see the battle scars from over 45 years. Seiko made some tough watches.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Put a cheap NATO/early Bond style strap and it's on my wrist. If you enlarge the picture, you can see the battle scars from over 45 years. Seiko made some tough watches.
    Jeeeeze what a cool watch.

I love the early 70's styling. My marinemaster is an homage to that time period. The hands, plexi, and coin edge are what I dig most about it. Your watch is nearly identical in that regard, albeit the real-deal period piece.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    Went for a little walk the other week
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    So what's the coolest expensive watch and the coolest watch under $500, for discussion sake, and the fact that I tried to check both those boxes

Feedback Score
    I kind of break it down a little more,
    When all is said and done I am a SS dive watch guy. Automatic movement.

Under 250$ the basic Seiko SKX173 / SKX007,
    Or whatever their current version of the basic, classic Diver is.

For under 500$, their new watch styled like the old 6309.

For about $1000, an automatic Marathon, they have 3 sizes to choose from. You get a great price point to quality ratio here.

For under 2500$,
    The Seiko 300m Marine Master.
    There is probably no dive watch with a greater percentage of the materials, quality, and manufacturing related to the cost of the watch.

For over, and in some cases well over, 5K,
    Submariner or Seadweller, or the new Deepsea.
    I prefer the 16610, 16600 era Subs and SDs,
    You can probably snag one for 5 or 6k. Which is what they were new.
    The joke back then was "Rolex makes the absolute finest $1000 dive watch in the world. For 5,000$."
    Reputation/status has a price tag. As does their advertising, marketing, etc.

You may find an Omega, Sinn, Fortis, or something you really like instead.

With many of the brands you are paying a ton for a name vs the calibre, of the watch.

And yes, at the end of the day an automatic watch is, like carrying a 1911, driving a car with a manual transmission and carburetor, using a Randall knife, a lifestyle choice and affectation,
    Vs going the automatic, fuel injected, nimravus, Glock, solar powered, radio controlled accuracy, altimeter, depthmeter, compass, barometer, alarm, stopwatch, timer, digital route.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I kind of break it down a little more,
    When all is said and done I am a SS dive watch guy. Automatic movement.

Under 250$ the basic Seiko SKX173 / SKX007,
    Or whatever their current version of the basic, classic Diver is.

For under 500$, their new watch styled like the old 6309.

For about $1000, an automatic Marathon, they have 3 sizes to choose from. You get a great price point to quality ratio here.

For under 2500$,
    The Seiko 300m Marine Master.
    There is probably no dive watch with a greater percentage of the materials, quality, and manufacturing related to the cost of the watch.

For over, and in some cases well over, 5K,
    Submariner or Seadweller, or the new Deepsea.
    I prefer the 16610, 16600 era Subs and SDs,
    You can probably snag one for 5 or 6k. Which is what they were new.
    The joke back then was "Rolex makes the absolute finest $1000 dive watch in the world. For 5,000$."
    Reputation/status has a price tag. As does their advertising, marketing, etc.

You may find an Omega, Sinn, Fortis, or something you really like instead.

With many of the brands you are paying a ton for a name vs the calibre, of the watch.

And yes, at the end of the day an automatic watch is, like carrying a 1911, driving a car with a manual transmission and carburetor, using a Randall knife, a lifestyle choice and affectation,
    Vs going the automatic, fuel injected, nimravus, Glock, solar powered, radio controlled accuracy, altimeter, depthmeter, compass, barometer, alarm, stopwatch, timer, digital route.
    Lol...I wear mainly (99%) Autos, drive a manual car, and my daily driver pocket knife is a Chris Reeve.

Your post hit the nail squarely on the head.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score

Watches

Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    So what's the coolest expensive watch and the coolest watch under $500, for discussion sake, and the fact that I tried to check both those boxes
    Like, ALL watches? Or just the Seiko stuff?

For the sub 500 Seiko I'd stick with the dive stuff. 3000 or less and it's marine master time.

Above 3k I'd go grand Seiko snowflake.

or hi-beat

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch
    Last edited by JC5188; 09-29-17 at 17:22.

Page 205 of 256 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast