Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First AR - advice

Feedback Score

First AR - advice

Okay guys i'm new to the site, i've been looking at it awhile now reading and learning, but now i'm almost ready to buy my first AR. I have a complete RRA lower that this thing is going on so all i need is a complete upper or the parts to build one. I'm looking to build a tactical semi-kiss carbine. My plan is to put a leupold ar 1.5-4 on top with a larue qd mount, light and vertical grip on it, i'm wanting to use this for self-defense (SHTF)/coyote hunting (inside 200 yards - my .308 will handle the longer shots ) Anyway.....

I'm a lefty and i've shot right-handed ar's before and never had a problem with them. However i'm not very keen on getting gas/powder/brass thrown past my face. Also, it seems to me that it'd be a little bit easier to clear weapon malfunctions with a left handed ar using the same techniques that right handed users can use but reversed, am i wrong here?

So here are my options, stag left-handed model, i've seen the noveske rifles too but those might be out of my price range..... Also, i've been considering a piston driven ar as well, either stag or an adams arms upper, so before this starts getting slammed with why pistons are so bad, my real question about them is what's the reliability on them? Round counts issues everything..... I like the idea of having the gas vented out front of the gun instead of inside the receiver next to my face. I like the fact that adams arms uses stainless steel parts since then you don't have to worry about anything locking up which i know as long as you keep it oiled it'll be fine but "murphy" still exists. Has anyone used these systems? If i go that route it'll be with their complete upper. I've read the threads on why DI is better than piston so I don't really want to hear all that again, it's enough to make your head spin. I know that if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. What i'm looking for is real advice from people that have owned, own, or have used the stag's and the adam's arms systems. I know there are better higher dollar rifles out there, these are what fall into the budget i'm looking at so just let me know what ya'll think and thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Sounds like a 16" bbl will do you fine, are you looking for a midlength or carbine gas system? I would strongly recommend hoarding a few extra bucks and looking at the Noveske. The only thing I see a problem with in the lefty upper is the availability of parts.

As far as piston guns go, there isn't enough available data to conclusively comment on their reliability. They are generally more expensive and use proprietary (hard to find) parts. Rob S. has a good article on Piston guns on his site. With a properly gassed gun, especially a midlenth, I think you'd be surprised at how little gas is actually blown in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhunter04 View Post
    Okay guys i'm new to the site, i've been looking at it awhile now reading and learning, but now i'm almost ready to buy my first AR. I have a complete RRA lower that this thing is going on so all i need is a complete upper or the parts to build one. I'm looking to build a tactical semi-kiss carbine. My plan is to put a leupold ar 1.5-4 on top with a larue qd mount, light and vertical grip on it, i'm wanting to use this for self-defense (SHTF)/coyote hunting (inside 200 yards - my .308 will handle the longer shots ) Anyway.....

I'm a lefty and i've shot right-handed ar's before and never had a problem with them. However i'm not very keen on getting gas/powder/brass thrown past my face. Also, it seems to me that it'd be a little bit easier to clear weapon malfunctions with a left handed ar using the same techniques that right handed users can use but reversed, am i wrong here?

So here are my options, stag left-handed model, i've seen the noveske rifles too but those might be out of my price range..... Also, i've been considering a piston driven ar as well, either stag or an adams arms upper, so before this starts getting slammed with why pistons are so bad, my real question about them is what's the reliability on them? Round counts issues everything..... I like the idea of having the gas vented out front of the gun instead of inside the receiver next to my face. I like the fact that adams arms uses stainless steel parts since then you don't have to worry about anything locking up which i know as long as you keep it oiled it'll be fine but "murphy" still exists. Has anyone used these systems? If i go that route it'll be with their complete upper. I've read the threads on why DI is better than piston so I don't really want to hear all that again, it's enough to make your head spin. I know that if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. What i'm looking for is real advice from people that have owned, own, or have used the stag's and the adam's arms systems. I know there are better higher dollar rifles out there, these are what fall into the budget i'm looking at so just let me know what ya'll think and thanks in advance.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Personally, I'd skip the lefty upper... parts are less common (like bolts). Also, a lower quality weapon (like stag) only batch tests and utilizes (usually) lower grade metals. My best friend is a lefty and runs a standard upper with no problems. A lot of my training lately has also been left handed and I have had little issue with malf clearance and weapon manipulation. If you are truely wanting this for shtf or sd/hd, consider the workmanship and materials of the firearm carefully... it makes a difference. Like I said, I think a standard ar works great for lefties... and at the added cost and lower availability of lefty parts, I would just run a standard and be happy. When I use eye pro (and I ALWAYS do), I have never had any issues with powder, gas, or brass.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Illinois minimum barrel length is 16 inches, so that's what it'll be, and i can't run a suppressor here either, what are the benefits of a mid-length gas system over a carbine or vice versa? I'm trying to keep this gun light too, so i won't be hanging a bunch of goodies all over it just a light.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Good quality AR15s generally:

BCM
    Colt
    Daniel Defense
    KAC
    LMT
    Noveske
    Last edited by 500grains; 12-22-10 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    There's numerous threads on different gas systems. The main differences with the midlength are (subjective) less recoil, lower operating pressure, less wear on parts. The only practical advantage is the midlength handguards being 2" in longer - Some people like having more space to put their hand out further. For light weight, carbine is a better option, especially since you're only mounting a light.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhunter04 View Post
    Illinois minimum barrel length is 16 inches, so that's what it'll be, and i can't run a suppressor here either, what are the benefits of a mid-length gas system over a carbine or vice versa? I'm trying to keep this gun light too, so i won't be hanging a bunch of goodies all over it just a light.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unless you are dead set on the lefty upper id stick with the right hand upper. I too shoot left hand and I have shot right hand uppers for years in training and combat situations and have never had an issue with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    and welcome to the board as well.

Feedback Score
    I shot left for many years with AR's and didn't really have problems. Every so often, I'd catch a little "gas face", but nothing that prevented me from hitting my targets if I did my part. Lots of lefty Soldiers and Marines have poked holes in bad guys with "righty" carbines and rifles.

FWIW, though I primarily shoot right handed now, I have zero problems when I practice wrong handed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Rest in Peace - Chuck Petrie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast