Thread: Pistol to Rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pistol to Rifle?

I know you can't turn a rifle into a pistol, but how about turning a pistol into a rifle? There is a pretty good deal on an "AR pistol lower". I could use a lower as I have two and three uppers.

Thanks

Hals1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hals1 View Post
    I know you can't turn a rifle into a pistol, but how about turning a pistol into a rifle? There is a pretty good deal on an "AR pistol lower". I could use a lower as I have two and three uppers.

Thanks

Hals1
    As long as you put a 16+ inch barrel on it BEFORE you put a stock on it, no problem. But then it's a rifle, it's lost its virginity, and legally you can't change it back into a pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Careby View Post
    As long as you put a 16+ inch barrel on it BEFORE you put a stock on it, no problem. But then it's a rifle, it's lost its virginity, and legally you can't change it back into a pistol.
    You mean I have to assemble the upper and lower and then change the stock? Kind of awkward.

Feedback Score
    Quite honestly, if you do it all at once nobody will know. Yeah it's 'technically' illegal, but unless you have frequent visits from the ATF or plan on doing the change while committing a crime I don't really see how anyone will find out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    Quite honestly, if you do it all at once nobody will know. Yeah it's 'technically' illegal, but unless you have frequent visits from the ATF or plan on doing the change while committing a crime I don't really see how anyone will find out.
    I'll make sure the drapes are closed and no visitors (never know who's a BATF snitch).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hals1 View Post
    You mean I have to assemble the upper and lower and then change the stock? Kind of awkward.
    I didn't mean it to sound that way. Just don't assemble a short barrel rifle without an approved Form 1 in hand. Well, not literally in hand, but in your possession.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn't mean it to sound that way. Just don't assemble a short barrel rifle without an approved Form 1 in hand. Well, not literally in hand, but in your possession.
    My uppers are all rifle legal, no problem there.

What iif I were to get a short barrel setup for the pistol and also owned a rifle. Wouldn't BATF try to stick me with "constructive intent" to make an SBR? As far as I know though I'm not sure anyone would sell me a short upper without a Form 1.

Feedback Score
    You can buy all the short barrels or short barreled uppers you want - no Form 1 required. The potential risk is if you possess one or more of them along with a rifle or rifle lower they will fit, without also possessing a pistol lower or registered SBR lower they will fit. If you can assemble all the parts you have into something legal, I'd say you're fine (but I am not a lawyer). If you have the parts to make something illegal, and can't show an alternative legal use for them, the assumption might be that you intend to make the illegal item. But I am not a lawyer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can buy all the short barrels or short barreled uppers you want - no Form 1 required. The potential risk is if you possess one or more of them along with a rifle or rifle lower they will fit, without also possessing a pistol lower or registered SBR lower they will fit. If you can assemble all the parts you have into something legal, I'd say you're fine (but I am not a lawyer). If you have the parts to make something illegal, and can't show an alternative legal use for them, the assumption might be that you intend to make the illegal item. But I am not a lawyer.
    I think I'll just stick with 16s and longer, they're plenty handy for me since I'm not an operator. Besides, the guy with the pistol lower hasn't returned my call.
    Last edited by hals1; 12-03-10 at 09:18. Reason: Correct spelling

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you have the parts to make something illegal, and can't show an alternative legal use for them, the assumption might be that you intend to make the illegal item. .
    There is a case where the court ruled the ATF can make an inference that you intend to assemble an illegal weapon from such parts. Your decision to stick to 16s is wise.