Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffers & Springs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So.. I have a Bushmaster carbine with a non-H buffer, A BCM 16" middie with an H buffer and a BCM 20" rifle length with an H buffer (got the uppers and lowers separately). Maybe I should swap the buffers between the Bushmaster and the 20"? I did stake the key and the castle nut on the Bushmaster and upgrade the extractor spring , etc with a BCM kit. I plan on unloading the Bushmaster on a sucker.
    Comments?

Hals1

Feedback Score

MGI Military Buffer

This is the most effective buffer I've ever used. Not only for recoil reduction but with the D-Fender that comes with it the ejection force is 4X times regular.

June 16, 2011
    We answer some common questions about our Rate and Recoil Reducing Buffer.

Recently we've received quite a few questions about our Rate and Recoil Reducing Buffer. We have answered 2 of the most common below and hope that this helps explain why we truly believe that the MGI Buffer is without a doubt the best in the world.

Q: What is the approximate number of rounds per minute with both rifle and carbine models?
    A: Our Rate & Recoil Reducing Buffer is self adjusting. In general this means that the more you need it the more it does. As an example of this, in recent test with two of our demo guns, we received the following results. The 11 1/2 inch barreled carbine was initially firing 1016 rounds per minute (rpm). After installing the MGI Buffer, the rate of fire dropped 271 rpm to a rate of 745 rpm. Our 20 inch barreled demo gun was initially shooting at a rate of 771 rpm. After installing the MGI Buffer the rate of fire fell 133 rpm to a rate of 638 rpm.

Q: There should be a caliber rating for these buffers?
    A: The MGI Rate & Recoil Reducing Buffer, was designed to work not only in the standard M4 / M16 / AR-15 platforms, but also with MGI's Modular Weapon System (Hydra). Because of the basic mechanical function of the buffer, it works very well with all of the calibers you mentioned. Basically, the harder you push it, the harder it pushes back to counter the recoil. It's function is similar in nature to that of placing a hammer in each of your hands and swinging them towards each other meeting in front of you. When they meet, they will cancel out the energy in each other coming to a stop. If you swing both hammers harder, they will cancel out each other's forward momentum. This is the same as the carrier moving to the rear as the buffer weights are moving forward to help cancel out the rearward energy of the carrier. Changing to a larger caliber just causes the weights to be hitting the carrier that much harder.

Related Document:
    Rate and Recoil Reducing Buffer Sell Sheet
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 08-07-11 at 15:30. Reason: Advertising
    http://gunner777.wordpress.com/

Writer for "The Firearm Blog"
    NRA Certified LEO Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Answer inserted in bold

Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    the goal is to...go with the heaviest buffer possible that still allows the bolt to lock back with the ammo you use...

Unless of course the mass is too much for the action to overcome but is that even an issue? Yes
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    My question here is why not go with the heaviest buffer possible if it reduces recoil? Unless of course the mass is too much for the action to overcome but is that even an issue?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    My question here is why not go with the heaviest buffer possible if it reduces recoil? Unless of course the mass is too much for the action to overcome but is that even an issue?
    Yeah it's an issue! If you're short stroking the gun will malf... fail to strip the next round, or bolt over jam.

You want the heaviest buffer your gun will run reliably when dirty and less than optimally lubed... but not a buffer that only runs well in perfect conditions.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Mine is fairly heavy but clean or dirty it still compensates and works fine.
    http://gunner777.wordpress.com/

Writer for "The Firearm Blog"
    NRA Certified LEO Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah it's an issue! If you're short stroking the gun will malf... fail to strip the next round, or bolt over jam.

You want the heaviest buffer your gun will run reliably when dirty and less than optimally lubed... but not a buffer that only runs well in perfect conditions.
    +1; sound advice. Also to add, with whatever particular ammo you will be using. Cheap shitty weak ammo often requires a lighter buffer than better quality stuff.
    Dan

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Thanks alot guys, that is why i come to this forum with questions. Right now i have a 16" lmt upper with a carbine length gas system. I've been running the spikes st-t2 buffer and no problems so far but i may have to dirty it up a bit and just see what happens and play around a bit. Any excuse to go out and put some rounds downrange sounds good to me.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i fired a new LMT carbine for the first time yesterday. a shooting buddy and myself both fired 2-20 rd mags of american eagle 5.56 with the H buffer installed, then i switched to a spike's ST-T2 buffer, and we both compared results. the ejection was the exact same with both buffers [ 4:00 ] and the recoil was definitely smoother. the ST-T2 also removes most of the ''sprong'' from the spring. i also need to add, that is a fine-ass rifle, very accurate. it was on it's way to birdsong's to get brown-t'ed, with black stripes.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Buffer individual weights dim.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the weights inside of the buffer? I have read that it is 5/8" in diameter, but I am not sure about the length. I can't pull apart a buffer right now to check and the last time I tried to pull one apart, I didn't have the proper tools at hand to do it correctly.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast